Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Wupper, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Theory

Theory Senior member

F'ing shoebuy.com botched my order and sent me the wrong style of red wings... made the exchange... they didnt have my size in the correct boot and now I have a 30% code for their site and the rest of their stock blows. So weak.

2. Omega Man

Omega Man Senior member

I am sure this topic has been talked about ad nauseam. .
    What is the difference between RW Beckman vs. Gentlemen Traveler series. I think the model# is the same for both, which is 9011.
    Is it just the leather? Do they wear differently? Which is better? When did the change take place?
    I have searched the forum, but I can't seem to find all the answers in one place and they are confusing. My apologies.

3. HEWSINATOR

HEWSINATOR Senior member

You can see a bit of a discussion here: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...ne#post2819477 I am not sure about what you say for model number. I have not looked into it at all, not even checked mine, but I think the proper GT code is 1911. No matter what, one thing is clear, people and retailors use the term GT to describe what may be properly Beckmans.

4. HEWSINATOR

HEWSINATOR Senior member

5. ranker

ranker Senior member

Where's the cheapest place to purchase red wing traveler's in 7.5 (since i'm normally an 8US) in black cherry?

Is there a certain site/store that usually offers the best price?

6. max_r

max_r Senior member

Further, the fourth google result for searching "red wing 1911" brought up this post: http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk...52&postcount=2

thanks for that, i was also wondering the same thing after having read there were two versions.

7. HEWSINATOR

HEWSINATOR Senior member

^^^after reading that, I realize that I guess I knew, but never really put it together. I recall when the 100 year anniversary boots came out, but never realized that all Horween GT's were the anniversary model.

8. HEWSINATOR

HEWSINATOR Senior member

Also, can someone explain the "waterproof leather" that the GT/Beckmans are advertized as? What is the difference between waterproof and regular leather.

9. kookydooky

kookydooky Senior member

Finnaly got my pair, hot damn how many good wears before these babies soften up?

Above my ankle feels all bruises and its like they are going to cause my feet to snap off

10. Stax

Stax Senior member

I just picked up a pair of Iron Rangers from planetshoes.com for $203 shipped. $40 Bing cashback, an additional 10% off using coupon code "tenoff" and free shipping. Not a stellar deal, but a nice chunk off the $269 full price.

11. gastarbeider

gastarbeider Senior member

Finnaly got my pair, hot damn how many good wears before these babies soften up?

Above my ankle feels all bruises and its like they are going to cause my feet to snap off

1-2 days of full wear.

12. chethondo

chethondo Well-Known Member

Did you go with the 875 or 877? I'm guessing 877s. I just got a pair of 877s too. I'm on full day number 2. I can't wait until they break in a little bit.

13. Terminator

Terminator Senior member

After reading everyone's posts just wanted to clarify my size on a couple of styles before ordering (I'm in Australia so postage is a bitch and exchanging virtually impossible).

I'm pretty much between a 9.5D and 10D in Allen Edmonds for what it is worth so was going to order a 9.5 in both the 8131 moc toe and 9010 GT Beckmans. Or should I be going all the way down to a 9 in the Beckmans?

All help greatly appreciated,

Nathan

14. ranker

ranker Senior member

Got my Red Wings Gentleman Traveler's in red cherry recently as a gift. How does one take care of these types of boots? Is there anything I need to do to it before I wear them? especially if i wear them in the rain?

Do I treat these exactly the same as my G&G, Edward Green, etc leather shoes by using Nubiana leather conditioner, then a cream polish, and then layers of wax polish?

Are these shoes already water proofed? or do I need to buy something to do that?

15. Omega Man

Omega Man Senior member

These are really work boots. No need to "pamper" them. I used Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP and put them on twice. Don't plan to put anything else on them. Obenauf's also softened the leather considerably.