• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion

Alexidb

Reaction score
The toebox stitching had basically become dark grey, thought I’d hit it with the polish I use, but it uhhh looks like crap. If I can’t clean it to white I might just hit it with a fine tip black sharpie.
372863D7-3133-4FE8-A99C-BD5D04C96CED.jpeg

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A toothbrush would definitely be the first thing I'd try on moc stitching like that.

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The toebox stitching had basically become dark grey, thought I’d hit it with the polish I use, but it uhhh looks like crap. If I can’t clean it to white I might just hit it with a fine tip black sharpie.
View attachment 1287872

I’m not totally convinced that’ll return to white but best of luck.

I don’t mind how it looks but definitely black might be an option.

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My nitrite IR's need a resole, and the insole is like... kinda too narrow. Took them to a store and their resole costs $150. Should I just take it to a local cobbler? Feels like might as well buy a new boot at that price.

if you have a decent local cobbler then that’s definitely a viable option and you’ll have a wider choice of soles available.

Do you mean the insole has shrunk? I’m sure I’ve heard of that happening somewhere. If it has then resole may be a waste of money.

Just be sure to check the reputation of the cobbler so you don’t end up with permanently messed up boots.

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
View attachment 1287872
Don't know what I will try to get them to be white again but I use a dark brown cream on my Beckman's, to avoid coloring the white thread it has, I avoid putting the cream directly to the threads. So I try to use most of the cream in the areas where there are no threads and once, lets say, the cream pigment or most of the pigment is in the parts where there is no thread, I give a quick pass where the thread is so that avoids them getting painted.

Alexidb

Reaction score
I gotcha on that, they had become grey from use, not polish. I decided to polish them to cover up the grey. They actually look better after a few days of drying then they did fresh.
Don't know what I will try to get them to be white again but I use a dark brown cream on my Beckman's, to avoid coloring the white thread it has, I avoid putting the cream directly to the threads. So I try to use most of the cream in the areas where there are no threads and once, lets say, the cream pigment or most of the pigment is in the parts where there is no thread, I give a quick pass where the thread is so that avoids them getting painted.

WeatheredHide

Reaction score
I'm posting to update on the status of my Moc Toe Black Prairie, ordered from Snake Oil Provisions:

Snake Oil was great to deal with. At first I simply asked for a refund (as the condition of the boots didn't inspire confidence), but (and this is entirely my fault) I didn't read their return/exchange policies before I ordered. Snake Oil told me they do not typically refund if they can facilitate a replacement. As that is their policy (and was their policy when I bought them), I kindly asked for an exchange, which they coordinated with Red Wing to take care of directly.

Based on how nice and helpful they were, I would gladly order from Snake Oil Provisions again if what I was interested in was a makeup only available from Snake Oil or other stockists with similar policies. I'm a Red Wing novice, and I didn't realize when I ordered it that the 8849 makeup is a standard makeup. I have a local Red Wing store down the street I could have special-ordered and handled this through. While I rarely return shoes/boots, the option to do so in cases like this can be very helpful.

So, all that said, the new boots arrived, and they're far better than the first pair. The finish is significantly better, and the left boot feels better, too -- the first pair's left boot felt like there was a slight twist in it (that I'd have assumed would work itself out with wear).

The feel of the surface of this tea core Prairie leather is dry. I'm probably spoiled by my Shinki tea core horsebutt boots which have an almost oily hand, and a much more nuanced black overdye through which the brown occasionally peeks through in the right light. I suspect the Shinki tea core will give way to the brown slowly and more subtly over time. This Red Wing tea core, on the other hand, has a black coating that feels more like a distinct, dry hard coat that won't fade as delicately. Given the Shinki boot (by Viberg) is nearly three times the price, it's probably not a fair comparison -- but how can I not compare two black tea core boots if they're here?

To prepare for the weather that's quickly moving in, I applied Saphir Médaille d'Or Dubbin Graisse conditioner to these Red Wings. I let the dubbin sit and absorb all day before brushing them, which did help make for a nicer surface hand. While it was almost chalky feeling before, the leather's outer surface is now smoother and softer.

Initial wearing has been good, and break-in doesn't seem like it'll be too tough. And they should see some rain and snow tomorrow for a good ol' midwestern initiation.

Thanks to you guys who suggested I should return/exchange that first pair.

I took delivery of the Moc Toe Black Prairie, and I'm not thrilled with the QC, especially on the left boot. Specifically, look at ends of the moc piping on that boot.

Coming from Viberg and Tricker's, I thought maybe I was expecting too much -- but these are still $280. I'd be curious your opinions about what you're seeing in the following photos, and if you think I'm being too picky:
The other boot is much better in this respect (see below):
Your opinions would be appreciated.

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not heritage boots but they are made in USA.

My new 2233 boots for work. 1st wear and felt very comfortable, warm and kept me dry. Very impressed and don’t feel like they’ll need much break in. These get very positive reviews on red wings site.

Leather isn’t as fancy as the heritage line but is definitely sturdy and feels supple.

A571B797-0554-407E-ACCE-5E1ACA057DA9.jpeg

WeatheredHide

Reaction score
Why spend a fortune in Viberg or other similarly priced workboots brands, when you have Red Wing, that´s a mistery to me
You're preaching to the choir :)

If I was going to work work in them -- and had a job that really beat them up -- I'd personally not subject $700+ boots to that. If that's what you're talking about, I completely understand.

If you just mean in general, I own boots by both brands (and may even run out and get another pair of Moc Toes at the local store this week), but I think you'd understand the "why" part if you picked up some Vibergs. In my opinion, the craftsmanship is a significant step up, they offer a different look to most Red Wings, and they use some of the world's best hides.

Comparing two boots from both brands that share a similar spirit -- the Red Wing Moc Toe 8849 and the 3sixteen x Viberg Scout in reverse chamois on Gloxi-Cut -- I think it'd be pretty clear to untrained hands and eyes which one is the more intricately crafted, more expensive of the two.

I never thought I'd understand it either -- never thought I'd spend $700 or more on a pair of boots -- and then I did, thinking I was going to end up returning them. Many pairs of Vibergs later, I get it.

I get Red Wings, too.

It's not an either-or thing to me, it's an and thing. And today I'm wearing Red Wing.

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I was going to work work in them -- and had a job that really beat them up -- I'd personally not subject $700+ boots to that. If that's what you're talking about, I completely understand.

If you just mean in general, I own boots by both brands (and may even run out and get another pair of Moc Toes at the local store this week), but I think you'd understand the "why" part if you picked up some Vibergs. In my opinion, the craftsmanship is a significant step up, they offer a different look to most Red Wings, and they use some of the world's best hides.

Comparing two boots from both brands that share a similar spirit -- the Red Wing Moc Toe 8849 and the 3sixteen x Viberg Scout in reverse chamois on Gloxi-Cut -- I think it'd be pretty clear to untrained hands and eyes which one is the more intricately crafted, more expensive of the two.

I never thought I'd understand it either -- never thought I'd spend $700 or more on a pair of boots -- and then I did, thinking I was going to end up returning them. Many pairs of Vibergs later, I get it.

I get Red Wings, too.

It's not an either-or thing to me, it's an and thing. And today I'm wearing Red Wing.

I know what you mean, I haven’t owned any viberg but they look impressive.

I have red wing boots, Crockett & Jones,Trickers and Church’s.

The other brands are fancier, have better level of craftsmanship etc but I still really like red wing as a rugged, well made and comfortable boot. Both have their place for me.

For work purposes, Red wing are about the maximum I personally would pay, although here in the UK there aren’t really any high end work boot brands like Whites, Nicks etc.

work boots in the UK are predominantly cheap and poor quality. Red wing are available but hard to get beyond the heritage line or the Chinese made line. I think the concept of investing in decent work boots is much more widespread in the US and is a bit of an alien concept in the UK by large.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads