• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion

Alexidb

Reaction score
The toebox stitching had basically become dark grey, thought I’d hit it with the polish I use, but it uhhh looks like crap. If I can’t clean it to white I might just hit it with a fine tip black sharpie.
372863D7-3133-4FE8-A99C-BD5D04C96CED.jpeg

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A toothbrush would definitely be the first thing I'd try on moc stitching like that.

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The toebox stitching had basically become dark grey, thought I’d hit it with the polish I use, but it uhhh looks like crap. If I can’t clean it to white I might just hit it with a fine tip black sharpie.
View attachment 1287872
I’m not totally convinced that’ll return to white but best of luck.

I don’t mind how it looks but definitely black might be an option.

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My nitrite IR's need a resole, and the insole is like... kinda too narrow. Took them to a store and their resole costs $150. Should I just take it to a local cobbler? Feels like might as well buy a new boot at that price.
if you have a decent local cobbler then that’s definitely a viable option and you’ll have a wider choice of soles available.

Do you mean the insole has shrunk? I’m sure I’ve heard of that happening somewhere. If it has then resole may be a waste of money.

Just be sure to check the reputation of the cobbler so you don’t end up with permanently messed up boots.

Betelgeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1287872
Don't know what I will try to get them to be white again but I use a dark brown cream on my Beckman's, to avoid coloring the white thread it has, I avoid putting the cream directly to the threads. So I try to use most of the cream in the areas where there are no threads and once, lets say, the cream pigment or most of the pigment is in the parts where there is no thread, I give a quick pass where the thread is so that avoids them getting painted.

Alexidb

Reaction score
I gotcha on that, they had become grey from use, not polish. I decided to polish them to cover up the grey. They actually look better after a few days of drying then they did fresh.
Don't know what I will try to get them to be white again but I use a dark brown cream on my Beckman's, to avoid coloring the white thread it has, I avoid putting the cream directly to the threads. So I try to use most of the cream in the areas where there are no threads and once, lets say, the cream pigment or most of the pigment is in the parts where there is no thread, I give a quick pass where the thread is so that avoids them getting painted.

WeatheredHide

Reaction score
I'm posting to update on the status of my Moc Toe Black Prairie, ordered from Snake Oil Provisions:

Snake Oil was great to deal with. At first I simply asked for a refund (as the condition of the boots didn't inspire confidence), but (and this is entirely my fault) I didn't read their return/exchange policies before I ordered. Snake Oil told me they do not typically refund if they can facilitate a replacement. As that is their policy (and was their policy when I bought them), I kindly asked for an exchange, which they coordinated with Red Wing to take care of directly.

Based on how nice and helpful they were, I would gladly order from Snake Oil Provisions again if what I was interested in was a makeup only available from Snake Oil or other stockists with similar policies. I'm a Red Wing novice, and I didn't realize when I ordered it that the 8849 makeup is a standard makeup. I have a local Red Wing store down the street I could have special-ordered and handled this through. While I rarely return shoes/boots, the option to do so in cases like this can be very helpful.

So, all that said, the new boots arrived, and they're far better than the first pair. The finish is significantly better, and the left boot feels better, too -- the first pair's left boot felt like there was a slight twist in it (that I'd have assumed would work itself out with wear).

The feel of the surface of this tea core Prairie leather is dry. I'm probably spoiled by my Shinki tea core horsebutt boots which have an almost oily hand, and a much more nuanced black overdye through which the brown occasionally peeks through in the right light. I suspect the Shinki tea core will give way to the brown slowly and more subtly over time. This Red Wing tea core, on the other hand, has a black coating that feels more like a distinct, dry hard coat that won't fade as delicately. Given the Shinki boot (by Viberg) is nearly three times the price, it's probably not a fair comparison -- but how can I not compare two black tea core boots if they're here?

To prepare for the weather that's quickly moving in, I applied Saphir Médaille d'Or Dubbin Graisse conditioner to these Red Wings. I let the dubbin sit and absorb all day before brushing them, which did help make for a nicer surface hand. While it was almost chalky feeling before, the leather's outer surface is now smoother and softer.

Initial wearing has been good, and break-in doesn't seem like it'll be too tough. And they should see some rain and snow tomorrow for a good ol' midwestern initiation.

Thanks to you guys who suggested I should return/exchange that first pair.

I took delivery of the Moc Toe Black Prairie, and I'm not thrilled with the QC, especially on the left boot. Specifically, look at ends of the moc piping on that boot.

Coming from Viberg and Tricker's, I thought maybe I was expecting too much -- but these are still $280. I'd be curious your opinions about what you're seeing in the following photos, and if you think I'm being too picky:
The other boot is much better in this respect (see below):
Your opinions would be appreciated.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 31 3.7%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 143 17.2%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 276 33.1%
  • 21 - 30