• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion

Turns31

Reaction score
I don't know if it's a rule or not but most people will create a thread in the for sale section then link it here (or the relevant thread). This way most people see it and follow up questions won't be off topic.

I am very tempted by the Willistons but I don't know my size seeing how they are unavailable in Australia... Too much postage to take a chance!
Willistons run TTS. 10D brannock, 9.5 IR, 9.5 875s, 10 in these.

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are we allowed to post B/S/T items in this thread? Sorry new to StyleForum. I'll take it down if we aren't.
Maker/Model: Red Wing Moc Toe 875
Size: 9.5D
Leather: Oro Legacy
Sole: Traction Tred
Price: $185 shipped in US PPFF
Wears/Condition: Less than 10 wears

About 4 months old but in terrific condition. Worn less than 10 times. Never worn in the rain and shoe treed every night. These are 1st quality and have some of the tightest creasing I've ever seen. I've just realized that Moc toes aren't really my thing. Will come with original box and gold Pisgah laces.

Maker/Model: Red Wing Williston 9435
Size: 10D
Leather: Teak Featherstone
Sole: Gro Cord
Price: $225 shipped in US PPFF
Wears/Condition: 6 months old

About 6 months old but in terrific condition. Never worn in the rain and shoe treed every night. These are 1sts purchased directly from RW. Will come with box and the shoe bags.

Hey there, Turns. I just started up a new Red Wing specific Buy/Sell/Trade thread. Go ahead and post your Wings there for all to see and drool over (oh, and hopefully purchase).

Here's the link:

Jinbei

Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking for a pair of boots that I can take with me anywhere (city, forest, dirt path on the countryside...) and would not be too worried to damage. I like the Iron Ranger but the sole seems too flat, I would be afraid to slip on the mud with those.
What do you think of the rough neck for this use case ? Seems better with the big vibram sole. Do you know any other model that might fit ?

Thank you !

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking for a pair of boots that I can take with me anywhere (city, forest, dirt path on the countryside...) and would not be too worried to damage. I like the Iron Ranger but the sole seems too flat, I would be afraid to slip on the mud with those.
What do you think of the rough neck for this use case ? Seems better with the big vibram sole. Do you know any other model that might fit ?

Thank you !

The roughneck is a good choice in my opinion, good Vibram sole for muddy tracks etc but it also has a lot more cushion than the iron ranger.

I had an iron ranger a couple of years back and it is a very nice boot but I found the sole a bit of a limiting factor, I also found the cold seemed to transfer through the sole on colder days.

I have the new Sawmill which is very like the roughneck but with a cambrelle lining and removable wool felt insert. The new logger is a good option too

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The newer IRs have lugged soles, don't they?

yeah they have the vibram mini lug now which is probably an improvement over the nitrile cork. The nitrile cork was really hard wearing but has barely any grip.

I still think the heavier lug sole on the roughneck etc will provide better grip, insulation and cushion underfoot but gives a chunkier look than the mini lug which might not be desirable for some situations.

Jinbei

Reaction score
The roughneck is a good choice in my opinion, good Vibram sole for muddy tracks etc but it also has a lot more cushion than the iron ranger.

I had an iron ranger a couple of years back and it is a very nice boot but I found the sole a bit of a limiting factor, I also found the cold seemed to transfer through the sole on colder days.

I have the new Sawmill which is very like the roughneck but with a cambrelle lining and removable wool felt insert. The new logger is a good option too

Thank you for your help. Did not know about the logger, I really dig these one. Would be nice to find a Black Friday deal on those !

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your help. Did not know about the logger, I really dig these one. Would be nice to find a Black Friday deal on those !

Any time, I very nearly went for the logger but decided I alreay have a couple of 8" tall boots so opted for the smaller sawmill instead. Still like the logger though!

I'm sure you'll manage to get at least 10% off the logger on black friday, possibly more.

Jinbei

Reaction score
My strong feet measure 26.5cm, which size would you recommend ? I wear my Heschung boots in size 7 UK.

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My strong feet measure 26.5cm, which size would you recommend ? I wear my Heschung boots in size 7 UK.

I don't know anything about Heschung although just looked them up and was impressed.

I'd say for the 8 last which loggers are made on try going half a size down from your true size if that makes sense.

My iron rangers felt very narrow around my arches/mid foot when new but very quickly gave a bit and then felt almost like a custom fit. The toe box had plenty of room too.

Everyone's feet are different of course so your experience may be different.

The Iron Rangers felt a very good fit for me and comfortable, it was the sole that made them a little less practical in winter and I sold them to make way for a C&J Coniston although I did really like them.

apolloali

Reaction score
My nitrite IR's need a resole, and the insole is like... kinda too narrow. Took them to a store and their resole costs $150. Should I just take it to a local cobbler? Feels like might as well buy a new boot at that price.

Alexidb

Reaction score
What are you fine folks using to keep your stitching white?

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You don’t find that they remove too much of the surrounding polish?

I wouldn't really recommend using polish on the majority of Red Wings, but I suppose that depends on the leather. That said, no, not at all, these have way too soft bristles to cause problems there.

I should also point out that I interpreted your question as meaning the welt stitching. If you're talking about the stitching on the uppers...pretty sure the thread is made of nylon and highly resistant color change to begin with. Haven't noticed any special need to clean it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads