Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Wupper, Jan 31, 2008.

1. ElBron21

ElBron21 Senior member

I have heard people having the complaint of the laces being too short but I haven't thought that.
    But I always lace mine tight.
    Figure, what's the point of the support of a 6inch boot if you don't? Especially my 877s, I feel like it is almost impossible to roll my ankle in those...

2. Al H.

Al H. Member

I finally snagged my first pair of Red Wing's. I've been lusting after the Heritage Chelsea Ranchers for a few years, and just pulled the trigger on the Briar Oil Slick Brown. FWIW, I'm in the US and ordered from End. Clothing in the UK.

I don't know what my Brannock size is but I've found that 10.5 medium has always worked well for my feet. Unfortunately End. only had UK sizes which don't cover US half sizes, so based on reviews I sized down to a UK9/US10. I haven't broken them in yet, but here's what I've found just fitting them on.
    1. Length seems alright, but I had a ton of wiggle room in the toes and my heel slides up a bit when I walk.
    2 They get a little narrow around the arch for my feet but its not unbearable, I assume it'll break in.
    3. The factory leather insole is not terrible to walk around in, I could probably do it all day with no pain. But I wanted to snug things up a bit, and went into a RW store today to pick up a pair of their Shaped Comfort Footbed. Now, the fit is absolutely perfect.

I'm going to be breaking these in over a few days in SF, doing a LOT of walking. We'll see how that goes. I brought some thick socks. I'll post some photos and maybe a follow up of how they feel.

3. Allmodcons1965

Allmodcons1965 Well-Known Member

4. Allmodcons1965

Allmodcons1965 Well-Known Member

5. matthewh

matthewh Well-Known Member

A little heel slip during break-in is normal, especially with slip-on style boots and a stiff sole. Also, you may already know this, but if you wear them without the insert the leather footbed will bend and mold to your foot over a few weeks. Its one of my favorite things about the Red Wing footwear design. It may change some with the insert in place but probably won't take the shape of your foot as well. If you plan to always need the insert though, that may not matter.

I've thought about ordering from End before to get a style not available here in the US. At one time they had some warning about import duties that made me nervous. So you had a good experience using them? How long was the shipping time?

6. Al H.

Al H. Member

Thanks, I appreciate the input. In fact, I spent quite a bit of time speaking with the RW rep about these very issues (heel slip and insole molding) and she said the same things. I asked if I should go ahead and break them in without the inserts first, fearing that it would affect how the leather insoles would naturally mold to my footshape but she said it wouldn't matter because she assumed I'd always have the inserts in. I really like the snugness with those inserts, so I suppose I'll just stick with them. I plan to do much more walking than outright "working" in these boots.

I was similarly nervous after reading through as many Trustpilot reviews as I could manage without scaring myself out of it. My experience was good though. FWIW here's my review on Trustpilot:
    After reading some negative recent reviews from customers located outside of the UK, I was a little worried about moving forward with my order being I am located in the US. I placed my order on 10/9, and received my order on today 10/12.
    1. Communications: One concern I had about my order had nothing to do with previous reviews, it was about proper sizing. At 9pm my local time, I was still able to speak with an End. rep (Phillip), who responded promptly and clearly and provided a recommendation which turned out to be right.
    2. Pricing: Phillip was also able to confirm that the price that showed on the End. website was in fact accurate - no tax, no duties, no shipping, just a flat USD price which was significantly less than what I would have been charged at any other legit outlet that carried the same product (which were very very few). So, no funny business with exchange rates.
    3. Shipping: End. used FedEx Priority. My tracking # came to me the morning after I placed my order along with the shipping confirmation email, and as stated I received my order 3 business days. No issues with Customs, and I was told by Phillip that orders under $800 would not be subject to any additional taxes or duties which seemed to be accurate.
    4. Returns: Thankfully, I won't have to return my order as fit is spot on, and I can't wait to break them in. But I also want to thank other reviewers who shared with others what they unfortunately had to learn the hard way, that End. does not cover return shipping for orders outside the UK.
    5. Packaging: My order arrived in the original retail packaging, which itself was in an End. box that fit just right, which itself was then wrapped in a protective sealed plastic bag which I assume would have protected against moisture if it got wet.

Overall, I was pleasantly surprised when I received my order early this morning, and relieved that things went smoothly. I suspect many others have had similarly positive experiences with End. and understand that people who have negative experiences are more likely to post their reviews. Just wanted to throw out another data point for folks who are looking to End. for hard to find clothing.

7. kekekekai

kekekekai Active Member

Not to dog on Red Wings or nothing. I love the designs but they need to start making heritage boots for people with wider feet. I'm typically a double F or F and I'm stuck with ordering $600 boots or risk destroying some red wings 2 months into wear.

8. Fenderplyr

Fenderplyr Senior member

9. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Senior member

Paris, PM me if you happen to come and want a free
    so true, they aren't that wide and it makes breaking-in a nightmare