Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Wupper, Jan 31, 2008.

1. grzzi

grzzi New Member

my small collection. https://www.dropbox.com/s/ztrswi2okwj7x0i/red wings.jpg?dl=0

moc toe 877 ordered half size to big, though it is ok with thicker socks and insole, worn rarely though.
    moc toe sage mohave rough 8139 , recently resoled after 6 years of wearing very often every winter ... excellent boot.
    Iron Ranger Hawthorn Muleskinner, my raw denims have stained them quite a bit, beautiful and comfortable boot though, very slippery in rain and probably unusable in snow.
    My newest edition is black 8" harvester, Wasnt my first choice but at 160 euro couldnt resist it ... looks great though, got vibram minu lug so I hope it will be ok in wet or snow ... but runs smaller then Iron Rangers which surprised me ... I wear US 11 both 877 and IR ... harvester fits ok but can not wear full insole as I do in IR.

never have had any kind of conditioning creams or oils for moc toes, never had problems ... rain and snow washed and cleaned them, just brushed, all good. Dont know if I should use something on havesters though.

red wings.jpg

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017

2. SSingh1975

SSingh1975 Senior member

Just came back to the forums after a while and saw the new format. I can't attach images (gives "there was a prob attaching the file").

Clues? I'm using the "attach file or images" and the images aren't big at all.

Cheers.

3. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

When you Attach the image you have to click where it says "Full Image" an then it posts it. Hope this helps.

4. SSingh1975

SSingh1975 Senior member

^ Grazie!!! Anyhoo..picked up my 2nd pair of RW ....the chukkas for mostly weekend wear (though breaking these in at work this week). LOVE the crepe soles and the comfort. Same size as my Iron rangers (US9) but less pain to break these in VS my IR which took almost 6 weeks of brutal callouses and foot scars before becoming super comfortable.

I was originally going to get the weekend Chukkas but once I tested both at my local RW store, I loved the look and wear of the heritage chukkas more so. However, the weekend Chukkas seem to have thinner leather so probably requires zero break-in.

Also dropped off my IR for a custom resole ($130 incl taxes). Having RW replace the stock soles with the Beckman sole and replace the bronze eyelets with silver. The local store will replace laces and oil it for free upon pickup. I've had the IR's for almost year a half now and it's probably my most worn boots!!!

20170803_074347.jpg