1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Wupper, Jan 31, 2008.

1. CityofChamps

CityofChamps Well-Known Member

Did you get these online from Nordstrom rack? I've only been seeing the same two pair for a while now, and it wasn't these. I would keep them for that price, but I have a boot problem,so...

2. ElBron21

ElBron21 Senior member

Yeah, I got them online. And it has just been the same two pairs of red wings that no one wants. You have to check early in the mornings and daily. That's when they list new boots, and it's usually only one pair in a strange size (super small or really big sizes), hence them being on sale and on that sight. But two fridays ago they had one pair in my size finally, 8, so I bought them asap. They sell very quickly..

3. CityofChamps

CityofChamps Well-Known Member

Haha. I'm an 8 as well, so I get it. I'll have to be more vigilant to check early. Nice pic up!

4. sruchris

sruchris Well-Known Member

My local Rack in Beachwood, OH has a pair of Red Wing classic chukkas 3141 in size 9 for $119. Not my size though :(

5. Friday

Friday Well-Known Member

I prefer Red Wing oxfords these days. I got a deal on these 6" moc's and cut them down. They've become my go-to pair.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  6. linafelt

linafelt Senior member

1 person likes this.
  7. ElBron21

ElBron21 Senior member

They look good! Nice job
    Im not the biggest fan of the oxfords but eventually I do think I'll get the black beckman oxfords for the few times I wear a suit.. I just like/need the support of the full 6" boot

1 person likes this.
  8. Whirling

Whirling Senior member

These look great! May I ask where you had them cut down and how much it cost?

9. Friday

Friday Well-Known Member

Thanks for the kind words! Boots will always be at the top of my list, but the oxfords have been my go-to since they're so easy to get on and off. Also, I'm in San Diego so the boots can get a bit toasty.

Whirling - I did this mod myself. I measured the ankle shape and specs of another pair of RW oxfords, cut these down to match, then sewed on a piece of veg tan over the cut edge to finish it off. It was a little bit nerve-racking because once I made the first cut there was no turning back, but I'm really happy with them.

It's worth saying that I tried it because I got a killer deal on the boots so it wouldn't too much of a sacrifice if the mod didn't work out, and the payoff was worth not having to buy a new pair of oxfords.

3 people like this.
  10. linafelt

linafelt Senior member

You are officially my boot hero..!

11. Sheepdog149

Sheepdog149 Active Member

Red Wing boots are superb - I love them!

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

12. matthewh

matthewh Well-Known Member

Is this normal?

I ordered my first pair of Red Wings, the 3141 chukkas. I was looking them over and ran my hand down the footbed and felt a burr. Looking inside there appears to be the ends of some staples poking up. I pushed with my thumbnail and they are solid pieces like the ends of a steel staple.

In the photos its the little pairs of of dots. Its the same in each boot and there are two in each footbed. I'm concerned that these will poke thru more as the insole molds to my foot. I really like these boots and the fit is good but these metal dots in the footbed are a concern.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Sheepdog149

[​IMG]
    RW 2991's

I love Red Wing boots!

14. Captain Insano

Captain Insano Senior member

@matthewh
    I have that on literally every set of my red wing boots I own. I have never noticed it while wearing them.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
  15. ElBron21

ElBron21 Senior member

The engineers are so bitchin. I own the black ones! Not to sound snooty, but may I make a suggestion to wear the ambers with a slightly slimmer pant leg, and color wise maybe faded blue or a dark indigo? Just a thought mate. Either way they look killer

16. Sheepdog149

Will do boss, thanks for the tip. I'm definitely going to buy the black ones too.

17. matthewh

Thanks for the reply. I've been able to find some other photos online that show the same marks. Looking closer, I think they're actually empty holes. So I assume they are left from holding things together during production and won't be an issue.

18. matthewh

Beginning break-in, first wearing outside: Classic Chukka 3141

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
  19. Captain Insano

Captain Insano Senior member

20. Mazzasan

Mazzasan Well-Known Member

Wonder if anyone has purchased the new 3321 Weekender? I went into my local store recently with the intention of buying the Hawthorne Muleskin Leather version to replace my sand suede CDBs. However I noticed that some of the threading attached to the welt were completely torn. I figured i would wait to buy a non-defective version however the salesman called me and proposed a 30% discount on the shoes. I could also pay full price once they receive more stock. I guess my question is whether the torn threads compromise the structural integrity of the shoe at all? Will they be more apt to fall apart with prolonged use than otherwise if they were in mint condition? Wondering if most people would take advantage of the deal?