1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Wupper, Jan 31, 2008.

1. johnnykicks

johnnykicks Senior member

2. johnnykicks

johnnykicks Senior member

3. bamgrinus

bamgrinus Senior member

Most of the shoes that popped up over at Hautelook around Christmas were discontinued models (I snagged a pair of 9030s). So I assume they were true overstock that Nordstrom Rack bought up.

4. fitzglimp

fitzglimp New Member

"Most of the shoes that popped up over at Hautelook around Christmas were discontinued models (I snagged a pair of 9030s)."

How are you finding the 9030s?

I picked up some 9029s for a ridiculously cheap price just before Christmas. Got interested in them after trying on a pair at a time when I was really keen on the Beckman Wing Tips that came out last year(in Europe). After trying both on I just thought the 9030s seemed like a hell of a lot more solid a boot, so when the 9029s came up I didn't hesitate. Would have prefered them in brown, and they don't fit me quite as perfectly as my Beckmans(9016), but I do love them.

5. bamgrinus

bamgrinus Senior member

I like them a lot. I had a pair of Beckman chukkas before, and I never liked the way the creasing looked on the plain toe, so I ended up selling them. I think the 9030s are breaking in much more nicely. They're still not 100% broken in around the ankles, but they're getting there. The only thing to watch out for is that you should probably go a half size up from your normal Beckman size. I was really surprised that they're quite a bit tighter than my old Beckmans and my IRs. I have to wear fairly thin crew socks with them instead of the normal heavy boot socks.

6. ElBron21

ElBron21 Senior member

Since its charcoal (and as it ages itll get darker and closer to black), they would look good with anything from khaki, brown, olive or black. But probably not navy. Wear the boots when you go shopping, and find the best lookin jeans/pants for them. Then I primarily just wear that one pair of pants/jeans with that pair of boots consistently, then look for shirts. Thats my suggestion.

7. fitzglimp

fitzglimp New Member

"The only thing to watch out for is that you should probably go a half size up from your normal Beckman size. I was really surprised that they're quite a bit tighter than my old Beckmans and my IRs".

yeah, when I tried the 9029s on in the store I realised they were a lot more TTS than your average pair of Red Wings(my 9016s are a 10US and my 875s are a 10.5US). I gambled and ordered the 10.5, was worried they'd be too small, but they're pretty much perfect. Definitely a chunk smaller than my 875s, though.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
  8. george34

george34 New Member

It seems one of the most recurring topic in this thread is sizing. I myself have found out this site searching for this kind of information. Skimming all the messages I did not find what I think is the most valuable piece of information. How long and wide (optional) are your feet? Why bother writing which size do you usually buy? Shoes are all different. Don't you think would be simpler and more useful for the community telling us "My feet are XXX inches (or cm) and the Iron Ranger size YY are a perfect fit".

9. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

Length alone isn't that useful an indicator. You really need to use a more detailed set of metrics, including arch, heel width etc.

Claus has done a decent job here: http://sizeadvisors.com/

10. ElBron21

ElBron21 Senior member

^ What he said ^
    Also, I tell any of my friends wondering about their size in redwing heritage boots to just go into a redwing store and get fitted.

11. linafelt

linafelt Senior member

Anyone know of a 6" wedge sole with speedhooks?

12. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

13. ElBron21

ElBron21 Senior member

Any redwing store or cobbler can replace the eyelets with speedhooks

1 person likes this.
  14. linafelt

linafelt Senior member

Yes, just the sort I am looking for, though I'd be interested in another leather and would to find a dealer in North America who offers them. But thanks!

Yeah, I know that's always an option, at least with a cobbler (not sure about local RW stores, whether they all would do it, and in any case I don't have one nearby). But it'd be nice not to have to go through one. But appreciate the suggestion.

15. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

1 person likes this.
  16. petersim

petersim Active Member

Linafelt, I assume you are asking bc of the hassle of lacing up eyes and making sure the boot is tight all the way to the toe. What I am switching over to in all my boots [compliments of another SF reader] is paracord. The stuff is slippery enough to tighten all the way to the toe with one pull, without having to pull each lace up like you have to do with rawhide or waxed cotton. And if you take out the core fibers, the paracord flattens out enough to hold the knot pretty well. Plus, it comes in a dizzying array of colors!

1 person likes this.
  17. petersim

petersim Active Member

Hey Daniel,

Just a break-in tip, but when I recently bought some Brogue IRs, I had a hell of a time breaking them in. I had some intense pain on top of the arch right where the gusset folds back. Got so bad that I considered cutting back the gusset attachment point to get the fold off that spot. Fortunately, before I performed surgery, I happen to switch out the stock laces with some black paracord bc the stock ones were too short. I couldn't lace up the top eye. Well, what a tremendous difference in fit!! That boot went from being the most painful device know to man to unbelievably comfortable!! I'm serious, just being able to lace up the top eye completely changed the way the laces pull and now I don't feel that pressure point at all!!!! I'm sure this would apply to all IR break-ins as well.

So, all those who are ready to give up on Iron Rangers due to the break-in process, give it a try!! [By the way, oil would also help to soften the leather.]

18. Captain Insano

Captain Insano Senior member

good post petersim. I agree, shoe laces make a difference in feel and tightness in certain areas for the brogue ranger (what color do you have?). I have both the brogue ranger and iron ranger boots... The brogue ranger for me was a lot rougher of a break in and the toe box didn't seem quite as roomy as the iron ranger - this in the exact same size of 9.5D. I have assumed to this point it is because the brogue ranger uses a different kind of leather that is a lot more stiff than the copper rough and tough leather of my iron rangers.

19. petersim

petersim Active Member

Black. Might consider one of the other colors now that i have the fit issue resolved.

I don't have the IRs, but I believe the Brogue leather is just a lot more dense, and thus stiff, than the IR oil tanned leather and just takes longer to break-in. I assume they made it with a harder finish so that it looks more refined and can take a bit of a shine, at the expense of a much longer break-in.

20. linafelt

linafelt Senior member

Thanks for responses above guys. Now I am curious, does anyone have the black moc toe 6" (the 9874 I think...)? If so, how do you like the leather? Any pics of a pair with some real wear on them?

Thanks.