1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Wupper, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

Got the Beckman's yesterday, I fall in love with them.

Got them at a really nice price since the store isn't going to carry the brand anymore, got them for $243 usd.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  2. Neognosis

Neognosis Senior member

I, too, have had a pair of motorcycle boots with a half sole and exposed leather under the instep for around 7 years. Resoled twice, all kinds of wear in all kinds of weather, and no problems with the exposed leather.

Here's my Beckmans. Daily wear since August. Just gave them a quick shine.

[​IMG]

3. emarcus62047

emarcus62047 New Member

I just purchased a new pair of Red Wing Heritage 8146 6" work boot at my local Red Wing Store.

I'm going through the dreaded "Break In" period, my ankles are killing me but getting better each day. I knew up front that my feet and ankles would be sore but would eventually adapt and the boots should serve me well.

I work on concrete floors at Lowes and this boot was rated number 1 for support when standing and working on concrete floors.

The only thing that concerns me is there is no Red Wing logo stamped into the outside of each boot as I've seen in most pictures of these boots.

Is this normal or is it possible that have I purchased a "knockoff"?

Thanks in advance for any replies

4. NCowardParody

NCowardParody Active Member

5. emarcus62047

emarcus62047 New Member

Thanks very much,

That's what I wanted to hear.

Just finished a 3 mile walk with my dog wearing them and they get better each time.

Have a great day.

6. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

Can I use a little amount of wax on the Beckman boots? Not a mirror shine, just a small layer of wax to keep them protected?

7. Sunstealer73

Sunstealer73 Senior member

I use Allen Edmonds shoe creme on my Chestnut Beckman's. I hit them with conditioner, let them dry, wipe on the creme, let it dry, buff with an old t-shirt, and then buff with a brush.

1 person likes this.
  8. ElBron21

ElBron21 Senior member

I doubt that guy cares if you asked about color options or not, so dont be rude.
    I have Beckman's and 2 IR's with the nitrile cork that the Blacksmiths have.
    The Beckman's commando sole would work better maybe in 'gravel or wet rocks,' the difference aint much bc the lug of the sole isn't substantial enough.
    If youre walkin in that often, the only heritage line boots I would suggest are the 877s which I own and can vouch for in such conditions. Or go buy hiking boots.

1 person likes this.
  9. ElBron21

ElBron21 Senior member

Great find my friend! Enjoy them, dont baby them

1 person likes this.
  10. ElBron21

ElBron21 Senior member

You can use wax, but there is better stuff out there. Shinola has great stuff made for high quality leather, Sno-Seal is absolutely amazing for water-proofing, and Bickmore products (particularly bick 4) are great. I personally use all 3 on mine. Id shy away from a lot of Red Wing's boot oil stuff because if you look at some products it is says on the bottle "not recommended for suede or fine leathers." Which is dumb bc that's what I own.

1 person likes this.
  11. ElBron21

ElBron21 Senior member

12. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

Nice! Thing is... I don't know where to found those around here.

13. ElBron21

ElBron21 Senior member

1 person likes this.
  14. captainfalcon

captainfalcon Senior member

The Beckmans look amazing.

1 person likes this.
  15. Schnurretiger

Schnurretiger Senior member

That wasn't meant to be rude, but a clarification.

Thank you, this is the kind of answer I had been looking for. It's finally something to work with, as most other answers you can find on the web only deal with traction in snow and ice.

16. AAJJLLPP

AAJJLLPP Senior member

"Fine leathers" is not referring to the kind of leathers that red wing uses. It is referring to the leathers used in dress shoes and such, not the heavier oiled leathers red wing uses. Sno-seal is not appropriate for suede or fine leathers either, unless you are looking to "dub" a pair of suede boots.

17. ElBron21

ElBron21 Senior member

This makes some sense.
    I still stray away from buying red wing's oil/conditioner products. I bought them initially but once I tried using other products I think the quality is much better. But that's just me.
    I highly recommend using sno-seal on the 877s if you own them (or any leather boot you want to waterproof) It darkens the leather but it makes them water proof which allows me to stand in shallow water for periods of time like while I'm fishing or what-have-you. I know red wing will say that they were already water-proof but probably not %100 true.

18. Sunstealer73

Sunstealer73 Senior member

The 8146 Moc-Toe is my choice for winter and nasty days. I coated mine heavy in HDLP and wear them with heavy socks.

19. ElBron21

ElBron21 Senior member

Yeah the heavy lug vibram outersole on those are so nice in the winter. I have the ice cutters that have em and I love them

20. Captcha Code

Captcha Code Member

Hey guys, New to the forum. I have a pair of Red Wing Postman Oxfords in a size 7US which fit perfectly. Should I just be getting the same size for the Gentleman Traveller or Iron Ranger?