• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion

Mazzington

Reaction score
Redwing Beckman are 266 euros delivered (reduced from 355 euros) on Asos.com today. Use promo code 20EXTRA. Seems decent value, especially for people in Europe.

VictorC

Reaction score

Lol. Never worn boots for construction or day laboring myself either. I was simply giving my un-biased opinions and experiences with shoes I have worn and continue to wear today. FYI it was the leather that failed on the thorogoods not the sole!

My RW have a neoprene sole though, which ive been made aware is very durable. A RW 213 wearer in a earlier post on this thread described his boots as indestructible.......what he means by that im not too sure, but its music to my ears.

wavery

Reaction score

My RW have a neoprene sole though, which ive been made aware is very durable. A RW 213 wearer in a earlier post on this thread described his boots as indestructible.......what he means by that im not too sure, but its music to my ears.
You need to remember I wore redwings daily for too many years in an extremely harsh environment. I was in the chemical world. Shoes were exposed to countless caustics, dusts, and solvents. Red Wing leather never failed me and the soles only died from mileage.

StillFly

Reaction score
Ordered 875's earlier this week as my Christmas present. Super excited!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

VictorC

Reaction score

You need to remember I wore redwings daily for too many years in an extremely harsh environment. I was in the chemical world. Shoes were exposed to countless caustics, dusts, and solvents. Red Wing leather never failed me and the soles only died from mileage.

Yes if they got that much caustics and solvents probably best to throw away. But if you had a neoprene sole your soles might be still ok.

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What is everyone's thought on the 2947? Will replace the laces with leather ones.

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Red-Wing-2947-6"-Round-Lug-Sole/MH00400,default,pd.html

How about the Brogue Ranger 8128?

I have a pair of W1K and Beckman each already.

Well, I decided to take one for the team and got myself a pair of the 2947.

Below is what it looks like outdoor under overcast sky after a coat of Renovateur and a coat of SnoSeal + baked in 170F oven for 20 minutes.

I also replace the original laces.

Last edited:

StillFly

Reaction score
And here are two quick cell phone shots of the new 875. Just got them today. The Oro-legacy leather is beautiful and I like the fact that there's no Red Wing logo stamp. In real life the color of the leather is a little less orange and a little more red -- Dmash's 877's look a little truer to the color. I put these laces on, btw, the ones that come with the boots are the usual yellow/orange hiking boot ones.

More info on the updated 875 and 877 is here:
http://www.acontinuouslean.com/2013/07/01/meet-the-new-red-wing-heritage-875-877/
Absolutely love the look with the white laces. Where did you find off-white laces like that?

Last edited:

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
those brand new 875s look awesome. Reminds me to ask a question I've been meaning to ask....

My 875s got raw denim blue indigo on them. Any way to get that off? It's been on there a few months now so it may not be possible.

Mercuryman76

Reaction score
STP has factory 2nd Red Wings up on site. Throw in the 30% off codes floating around everywhere and you've got some good deals. Just picked up a pair of 9105s for $96 before tax and shipping. Looks like they've got moctoes in most colors in full size runs.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/s~red-wing/?perPage=24

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Absolutely love the look with the white laces. Where did you find off-white laces like that?

The laces are from ShoeLacesExpress.com -- they're these 54" ones:

http://www.shoelacesexpress.com/fashionroundcasualathleticlaces.asp#Beige

The color is "beige" and they're about 7 bucks for 2 pair.

Some Red Wing boots come with those generic "hiking boot" laces that I hate... so I always replace them. Some RW's come with nice waxed laces though (like Beckman Boots).

those brand new 875s look awesome. Reminds me to ask a question I've been meaning to ask....

My 875s got raw denim blue indigo on them. Any way to get that off? It's been on there a few months now so it may not be possible.

Don't do it! The indigo stains up your Styleforum street cred! Keep it there! :)

Last edited:

RRL CLOTHING

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

RRL CLOTHING

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They punch a tiny hoe in the tongue.

Thanks for fast reply.. Do you know if it's just a defect/scuff in the leather, very tiny detail or is the sizing off or something?

Hard to buy something and then they send you something that has tiny defect or something with huge defect, or do they just discard the ones with huge defects?

themonster

Reaction score
Thanks for fast reply.. Do you know if it's just a defect/scuff in the leather, very tiny detail or is the sizing off or something?

Hard to buy something and then they send you something that has tiny defect or something with huge defect, or do they just discard the ones with huge defects?

It really depends. Someone bought a pair of 1000 mile factory seconds and didn't noticed the plastic toe liner wasn't installed until 2 weeks later. I wouldn't be so concerned since STP, apparently, has lifetime warranty.

RRL CLOTHING

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I talked to my buddy just now who bought some factory 2nd Red Wing 875 a few months ago and he said the stitching was undone in the back and cost $60 to fix by a cobbler, Nordstrom recently sold 1st quality ones for $139. Not worth going with factory 2nds IMO if you have to pay to repair them.

Then he sold them on ebay for $50 because they had the hole in the tongue and repair, further killing their resale value.

Good deal if you aren't expecting much for $96. I'd rather buy used First Quality RW than new 2nd quality. I just bought an 875 on ebay a week ago for $140 shipped worn once or twice.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics