1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Wupper, Jan 31, 2008.

1. nibongco

nibongco Member

Definitely leaning towards Amber harness so I can wear them with black denim as well as brown chinos.

2. nibongco

nibongco Member

Can anyone upload a picture of their blacksmiths? :) TIA

3. Beane

Beane Senior member

Amber harness is a great choice

4. bellyhungry

bellyhungry Senior member

I have a pair of Brogue Ranger, a pair of Blacksmith, a pair of Roughneck, 3 pairs of Beckman.

I put on Vibram half sole on my Brogue Ranger. The rest are in the original sole.

Blacksmith next to Beckman:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. nibongco

nibongco Member

Those look really nice! Thanks for sharing. :happy:

6. autumndreams

autumndreams Senior member

[​IMG]
    Play and work.

The Iron Rangers on the left are my favorite pair of boots. They've held up well over four years of regular wear and aged gracefully.

The others I couldn't tell you much about except that they were on sale and steel-toed. They've lasted over a year of daily wear on the jobsite, and look like they might have another year in them before they give out. Ugly as hell though.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
  7. nibongco

nibongco Member

Those Rangers look brand new! Nice. Do you condition them often? If I buy some generic leather lotion and put on some kiwi polish, do think it would be enough? The high grade leather maintenance stuff are impossible to get where I live.

8. autumndreams

I like to take care of my boots: every couple of months or so I'll strip off the laces, and rub on some Obenauf's LP. Whenever they start looking dirty (usually once every year or two), I'll break out a horsehair brush and some saddle soap, followed by Obenauf's. Whenever they're not on my feet, they've got Allen Edmonds shoe trees in them.

With the others in my rotation, I see these lasting for a very long time. Here's another crappy iphone shot with the family in the background:

[​IMG]

9. pvoytko

pvoytko Senior member

Are those four different pairs of IRs? Applaud this man

10. autumndreams

Nah...though they all are fairly similar. I really want to get a pair of moc toe boots to change things up a bit...

Front and center are the IR's in black. From left to right: Wolverine 1000 Mile in brown, Vintage Shoe Company Nathaniel Jump Boot in Black, and LL Bean Katahdin Iron Works engineer boots.

The IR's remain my favorites, with the Wolverines coming a close second. The Katahdin's are my beater pair. The VSC's are...well...let's just say at the $80 that I paid for them, I'm happy. They're a good looking pair of boots, but I see the other three easily outlasting them.

Oh, yeah, and my steel-toed boots. Which I will never wear out of the house, ever, unless I'm going to work.

11. walds11

walds11 Senior member

Nice boot collection you have there. For a moc toe, check out the Wolverine Courtland 1000 Mile boots. I have a pair and Iove 'em. They have a Vibram rubber pad and heel lift for more traction. I also have a pair of Red Wing Iron Rangers in Amber harness. And a pair of Alden Indy Snuff suede on the way. Can't wait for them to arrive. Never spent that much for shoes/boots, but they shouldn't dissapoint.

12. autumndreams

A pair of Indy's are definitely in my "one day" list. Maybe a few raises down the road. Those courtland's are gorgeous too, they strike me as a mix between the original 1000 mile and the Alden 403. I'd like to pick up a pair of these for a less refined, shit-kicking moc toe:

http://www.redwingheritage.com/USD/product/footwear/6-inch-boots/6-brown-875-00875

Though a pair of these are definitely in my near future for a pair of "on the jobsite, gonna get beat to hell" work boots:

http://www.midwestboots.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=Z-TH814-4266

13. EPrest90

EPrest90 Senior member

Big fan of the moc toe boots from red wing. I have the 9010 Black Cherry Beckman moc toe, and they're really good for a nice dressier casual boot. Also own the 8890 charcoal rough and tough, which are currently my go to casual boot. Just bought the 8173 for a little contrast....

Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
  14. DJosey

DJosey Well-Known Member

How do I go about getting my Mocs resoled? Do I mail them back to Red Wing, drop them off at the store? Or what? And what's the price to get another vibram sole on?

15. EPrest90

EPrest90 Senior member

Take them to your local Red Wing store and they'll take care of it. Should be around 100. Or take them to a cobbler, but I can't say how much that would be

16. zedd

zedd Member

Need advise on sizing. I'm a 8d in Alden's trubalance, probably a 8e would fit better. Should I go size. 8 or 9 in the classic mocs 875? Thanks!

17. bl@ster

bl@ster Senior member

You should get an 8.5D or 8.5E in the RW875.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  18. Commando3200

Commando3200 Member

Heads up for those in Toronto, there's a trunk show at Brooks Brothers over the next two days at their 200 Bay Street Location.

19. cassiusclay

cassiusclay Member

I got some black scuffs that won't go away from my moc toe boots. Is there any way I can dye the scuffs to the colour of my boot? I have a pair of 875 in the oro colour.

20. pvoytko

pvoytko Senior member

Seems like youre looking for precision so id take them to a cobbler to get their opinion. I was very anal about keeping my boots looking new then one day i just let it go and started beating the hell out of them without worry and just treating them with occasional leather protector