1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Wupper, Jan 31, 2008.

1. presidente

presidente Well-Known Member

Going to look into them both tomorrow :)

Thanks guys!

2. EPrest90

EPrest90 Senior member

I'll have to look into them!

3. Noirkw

Noirkw Well-Known Member

5 bucks a pair? Dang. The leathers ones are like 30 odd here

4. cathpah

cathpah Senior member

$3.25, actually.

I also highly recommend the rawhide laces from this ebay seller.

5. Beane

Beane Senior member

The beckman chukka is a great model

6. nibongco

nibongco Member

:)Definitely considering getting a pair of red wings after all the great stuff I've seen in this thread... But now contemplating on whether to get IR or Blacksmith. Can anyone help me out with experiences from both? Comfort? Aesthetics? Thanks. Apologies if this is the wrong thread for such questions. Literally my first post. Regards, Newbie. :)

7. meridiansystem

meridiansystem Member

I'm a big fan of the Blacksmith boots. Fit great, and broke in much quicker than my Beckmans. I don't own a pair of IR's but have tried them on, I wear the same size in both (11D.)

You'll hear some people talk down the soles of Blacksmith and IRs- I live in the NW and haven't had any issues in winter conditions. I also prefer the single sole better than the split soles on Beckmans.

1 person likes this.
  8. nibongco

nibongco Member

Thank you for the info good sir. :slayer:

9. Hiamosey

Hiamosey Senior member

I'll second the Blacksmith's approval.

I live in California so the weather is rarely a concern, which means my soles never get put to the test. I love these boots.

1 person likes this.
  10. nibongco

nibongco Member

On comfort, would it be ill advised to walk in the blacksmiths a full day as other people say about the IR's? And how are the nitrile cork soles? Are they hard wearing?

11. cathpah

cathpah Senior member

I think putting restrictions on how long you wear a pair of boots in a day during break-in is just silly. Wear them as long as your feet can put up with them, and if you feel a blister forming, change shoes to avoid said blister which will then slow down your wear over the subsequent days.

Nitrile cork soles are very hard wearing, however they're also pretty useless in snow and ice (and some would say rain). They're not a bad sole, per se, but if you're in bad weather, you may want to look at Beckmans instead of Blacksmiths, as they're both very similar aside from the different sole options.

Edit: I live in Maine, and snow is definitely a factor. I would say there is a significant difference on snow between the nitrile cork sole and the roccia sole (beckmans). Had I kept my chocolate roughout IRs, I definitely would've sent them to RW for a sole swap.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  12. nibongco

nibongco Member

Point taken. Thanks for the advice! :) How was your experience with the IR's though? To pick between the two, based on comfort and style, would you take the blacksmith or the IR? My area doesn't get any snow so I'm not really considering the beckman and also because it's a tad more expensive.

13. gfloridafan93

gfloridafan93 Senior member

I would personally recommend the iron rangers. I have the charcoal pair. I love the toe cap. It's all up to you and what you like though. As far as comfort goes, I'm sure there are more comfortable boots you could buy. But, these things can take a beating, and they aren't too bad comfort wise.

1 person likes this.
  14. nibongco

nibongco Member

Does the stitching on the captoe really dig into your toes? Or is this just an issue of wrong sizing? :)

15. gfloridafan93

Has to be wrong sizing. Make sure you don't buy too small. You will be miserable if you do.

16. nibongco

nibongco Member

Thank you gfloridafan93! :slayer:

17. mistercitizen

mistercitizen Senior member

I love the cap toe on the IR's:

[​IMG]

Ben

18. Hiamosey

Hiamosey Senior member

I wore mine to work every day during the break in. They were a bitch to put on for the first week or so but I've had zero problems and I often wear em with dress socks.

1 person likes this.
  19. Beane

Beane Senior member

That color is really nice, what shade is that?

20. gfloridafan93

You're welcome! What colors are you looking at?