1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Wupper, Jan 31, 2008.

1. bimmerchop

bimmerchop Member

Anyone pick up a pair of 8116 charcoal iron rangers? Thoughts?

[​IMG]

I love my 8111's and have been considering picking up a pair of 8114's, but these have caught my eye. Liking how it's already somewhat distressed/rugged instead of the smoother black leather.

2. EPrest90

EPrest90 Senior member

I have a pair of the 8890, the moc toe crepe sole with the same leather and love them. Been my go to casual boot, and I always get compliments on them

Last edited: Sep 28, 2014
  3. Nuckinya

Nuckinya Active Member

This may be a silly question, but I'm considering throwing my cash at a pair of Beckmans. Great boot, similar in profile to the Wolverine 1000 Mile (based on pictures on the internet) which was what I originally wanted. The only thing is I'm not a huge fan of the lug rubber portion of the soles. Makes me think I wouldn't be able to wear them in a dresser setting. Has anyone ever tried to get them removed and replaced with something more subtle and less jagged? Or would this be something you'd advise against?

FYI if you're wondering why I'm not just getting the Wolverine 1000 Mile, it's because it's not available physically anywhere in Melbourne and I need to be able to try the boot on for sizing, as I've had many issues with buying the wrong size online and I'm kinda over it. Whereas Beckmans are stocked at stores within Melbourne.

4. Sunstealer73

Sunstealer73 Senior member

The lugs on the sole are pretty low profile. I wear mine with chinos occasionally. They're not really a dress boot though, regardless of the sole.

5. Nuckinya

Nuckinya Active Member

Yeah, I know. I suppose I meant in the same way that the 1000 Mile boot can be dressed up. That line between work boot and dress boot

6. thehaven22

thehaven22 Well-Known Member

Why not look into the Blacksmith instead of the Beckman if you want the same look but different sole

1 person likes this.
  7. th3buhbuh

th3buhbuh Senior member

I've been quite content with my 9010s and how they "dress" up. It's not like I can wear them with a suit (unless a suit would be required while walking in such bad conditions that they would prevent an actual dress boot), but I've worn them with dress slacks and coat for less casual occasions in winter.

I will say that it's not the lug that makes them bulkier - the width of the welt seems big and the toe box is definitely chunky. I'm also wearing them in 13s so that doesn't help...

8. Solomite81

Solomite81 Well-Known Member

Loving the charcoal, looks like a distressed black. Hope RW keeps this color going for many seasons. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. cassiusclay

cassiusclay Member

I just got a black scuff/mark on my new boots. Any way of getting rid of the black mark on them? Don't want to damage the leather.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
  10. pdxvegan

pdxvegan Well-Known Member

Any thoughts on sizing Red Wing Iron Rangers compared to Danner Mountain Lights?

11. Carson

Carson Senior member

Apparently a place in New York called Shoe Parlor has them. My local Red Wing store has a few in stock that they were given because they are one of the top Heritage sellers in the country, so I bought a pair a week ago, but ended up returning them for a cigar beckman. It's a nice boot, for sure, but I wanted something slightly dressier than the amber harness….

12. Carson

Carson Senior member

Anyone use anything other than Red Wing boot cream for polishing their Beckman's?? I live in California, so I don't need to worry about weather protection (drought) but thinking more along the lines of getting a decent shine on them. I use Saphir products on my other boots, but not sure how the Featherstone leather will take that.

13. Solomite81

Solomite81 Well-Known Member

14. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

Flash sale on Red Wings at vente-privee.com some styles down to £45

15. EPrest90

EPrest90 Senior member

I don't see anything?

16. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

17. dancarlsen

dancarlsen New Member

[​IMG]
    I'm lucky enough to live an hour from Red Wing so I rearranged my schedule and headed to their yearly warehouse sale this morning. Got the 8138 Toe Mocs on the left for 50% off and the Iron Rangers on the right for 75% off! The Iron Rangers are seconds but I haven't been able to find any flaws yet.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2014
    2 people like this.
  18. Lohikaarme

Lohikaarme Senior member

I really like the engineer boots... but I'm unsure how to size for them? If I wear thinner (i.e. not wool) socks, how should I size for engineers/last 522?

19. eczerwonka

eczerwonka Senior member

20. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

I restricted myself to two, would have been three, but the size went before I got it in my basket.