• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Copper Yuma leather was new to me -- I've never seen it used on any Red Wings before. It's very matte and close to nubuck as you say, similar in texture to this leather on the J. Crew Beckman:
http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/shoes/ruggedboots/PRDOVR~30489/30489.jsp

BTW, Chestnut is not discontinued. See Nordstrom and Amazon for fresh shipments of Beckmans in Chestnut. I just grabbed a pair that were made just 2 months ago.

Last edited:

cathpah

Reaction score

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Would you mind posting some comparison photos that show the Chestnut and Copper Yuma leather next to eachother? I'm intrigued.

Here you go, bro. Copper Yuma on the left, Chestnut on the right, click for high-res:

Last edited:

redzero

Reaction score
I have read that Iron Rangers run large, so if I'm a size 13, should go down a size to 12? I am hesitant about doing it because I have wide feet and the Iron Rangers are narrow.

dlaz

Reaction score
I have read that Iron Rangers run large, so if I'm a size 13, should go down a size to 12? I am hesitant about doing it because I have wide feet and the Iron Rangers are narrow.

i find the iron ranger narrow,so half a size down would be much better IMO.

redzero

Reaction score
I don't see a 12.5 as an option, though.

I checked with retailers that were selling Red Wings, but none of them even had the boots I wanted to try on. I'll just wait, then.

acinod

Reaction score
I tried on a pair of Red Wing Iron Rangers today. The back of the boot digs up the back of my ankle/calves as I walk. Will this go away after I break-in to them? Are Red Wing Beckman more comfortable?

Exordium01

Reaction score
I tried on a pair of Red Wing Iron Rangers today. The back of the boot digs up the back of my ankle/calves as I walk. Will this go away after I break-in to them? Are Red Wing Beckman more comfortable?

DId you try skipping the top lace hook?

acinod

Reaction score
DId you try skipping the top lace hook?

The first time I tried them on I went crisscross through all the hooks and they didn't feel well. The store owner told me to skip the top lace and I was able to get a more comfortable fit but the back of the boot was still digging in if ever so slightly. Haven't tried on the Beckman but I think I might get it here in Australia for $345 when they have my size in 2 weeks (since it has a more rain-friendly sole) . I'm going to America at the end of the year but I want to be able to break into them before then so I'll have a better experience wearing them there.

One more question: If I only had one boot that can be worn with jeans, chinos and grey flannel trousers and can also be worn all year round, are Black Cherry Beckman GT the most versatile choice?
I tried on the Iron Rangers in the picture attached and it looks great but I'm just a bit worried the toe is too round and rugged, causing it to be less versatile. I'm guessing the Beckman may have a similar issue?

Last edited:

Spencer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have pics, or can coment on the fit of the Red Wing for J.Crew Beckman boots? Digging the broken in look, how do they look/wear in person?

redzero

Reaction score
I think I'll order Iron Rangers in 12 D. They will probably be long enough, and they'll get wider when I break them in.

crosswound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i know besides the obvious cleaning my redwings with saddle soap or another cleaner is there a way to keep dirt/dust off? i ask because when i wear them at work they get light dust/dirt like a magnet talking like within a hour when they don't even touch anything dirty. just me walking around like regular inside a building.

by the end of the day the whole shoe looks like a new color i call it shade of light dirt :bigstar:

superego

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
looking for the RW 9185 wabasha and stumbled across these: http://www.endclothing.com/red-wing-9185-wabasha-boot-80517.html?gclid=CNW-ttWYxbkCFUfZQgod-2EA2Q

looks like they're out of stock (figure I just got a cached result).

(1) how frequently will I see these at a discount relative to the ~$300 I see them priced at at various spots?
(2) any reason not to just pull the trigger on this pair from BB with my 15% of corp discount now? http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Red-Wings-9185-Cooper-Rough-Tough/636H,default,pd.html

acinod

Reaction score
These Iron Rangers are the dream after the rubber resole.

I've had trouble deciding between the IR and Beckman for months. The IR personally looks slightly better and less expensive but the Beckman has the rubber sole for rainy days.
On the other hand, this is like the best of both worlds!

Last edited:

12ax7

Reaction score
^ damn good looking boots

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I497 using Tapatalk 4

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Staff online

Forum statistics