Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Wupper, Jan 31, 2008.

1. bl@ster

[email protected] Senior member

The Copper Yuma leather was new to me -- I've never seen it used on any Red Wings before. It's very matte and close to nubuck as you say, similar in texture to this leather on the J. Crew Beckman:
    http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/shoes/ruggedboots/PRDOVR~30489/30489.jsp

BTW, Chestnut is not discontinued. See Nordstrom and Amazon for fresh shipments of Beckmans in Chestnut. I just grabbed a pair that were made just 2 months ago.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013

2. cathpah

cathpah Senior member

3. bl@ster

[email protected] Senior member

Here you go, bro. Copper Yuma on the left, Chestnut on the right, click for high-res:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 7, 2013

4. redzero

redzero Active Member

I have read that Iron Rangers run large, so if I'm a size 13, should go down a size to 12? I am hesitant about doing it because I have wide feet and the Iron Rangers are narrow.

5. dlaz

dlaz Well-Known Member

i find the iron ranger narrow,so half a size down would be much better IMO.

6. redzero

redzero Active Member

I don't see a 12.5 as an option, though.

I checked with retailers that were selling Red Wings, but none of them even had the boots I wanted to try on. I'll just wait, then.

7. acinod

acinod Senior member

I tried on a pair of Red Wing Iron Rangers today. The back of the boot digs up the back of my ankle/calves as I walk. Will this go away after I break-in to them? Are Red Wing Beckman more comfortable?

8. Exordium01

Exordium01 Active Member

DId you try skipping the top lace hook?

9. acinod

acinod Senior member

The first time I tried them on I went crisscross through all the hooks and they didn't feel well. The store owner told me to skip the top lace and I was able to get a more comfortable fit but the back of the boot was still digging in if ever so slightly. Haven't tried on the Beckman but I think I might get it here in Australia for $345 when they have my size in 2 weeks (since it has a more rain-friendly sole) . I'm going to America at the end of the year but I want to be able to break into them before then so I'll have a better experience wearing them there.

One more question: If I only had one boot that can be worn with jeans, chinos and grey flannel trousers and can also be worn all year round, are Black Cherry Beckman GT the most versatile choice?
    I tried on the Iron Rangers in the picture attached and it looks great but I'm just a bit worried the toe is too round and rugged, causing it to be less versatile. I'm guessing the Beckman may have a similar issue?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013

10. Spencer

Spencer Senior member

Anyone have pics, or can coment on the fit of the Red Wing for J.Crew Beckman boots? Digging the broken in look, how do they look/wear in person?

11. redzero

redzero Active Member

I think I'll order Iron Rangers in 12 D. They will probably be long enough, and they'll get wider when I break them in.

12. crosswound

crosswound Senior member

i know besides the obvious cleaning my redwings with saddle soap or another cleaner is there a way to keep dirt/dust off? i ask because when i wear them at work they get light dust/dirt like a magnet talking like within a hour when they don't even touch anything dirty. just me walking around like regular inside a building.

by the end of the day the whole shoe looks like a new color i call it shade of light dirt :bigstar:

13. superego

superego Senior member

looking for the RW 9185 wabasha and stumbled across these: http://www.endclothing.com/red-wing-9185-wabasha-boot-80517.html?gclid=CNW-ttWYxbkCFUfZQgod-2EA2Q

looks like they're out of stock (figure I just got a cached result).

(1) how frequently will I see these at a discount relative to the ~$300 I see them priced at at various spots?
    (2) any reason not to just pull the trigger on this pair from BB with my 15% of corp discount now? http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Red-Wings-9185-Cooper-Rough-Tough/636H,default,pd.html

14. acinod

acinod Senior member

These Iron Rangers are the dream after the rubber resole.

[​IMG]

I've had trouble deciding between the IR and Beckman for months. The IR personally looks slightly better and less expensive but the Beckman has the rubber sole for rainy days.
    On the other hand, this is like the best of both worlds!

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013

15. 12ax7

12ax7 New Member

^ damn good looking boots

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I497 using Tapatalk 4