1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Wupper, Jan 31, 2008.

1. JPKNJ

JPKNJ Member

So after trying my new Beckman's for a month, I've decided they're too big. Up for grabs, $190 shipped to US / paypal confirmed address. Black Beckman size 9 - purchased from Red Wing store. Original box, laces, etc. I wore these with insoles so the cork footbed hasn't been compressed / shaped yet.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. johanhej

johanhej Member

I need some advice here. Buying a new pair of Red Wing chelseas and deciding between the 2917 and 2918.
    [​IMG]
    Pretty much only wearing raw denim and everything that goes with it. I was initially set on the 2917, but now I'm starting to thnk maybe it's too red. Perhaps it will darken, and get a more brown look with time?

3. bellyhungry

bellyhungry Senior member

I am in the market for a pair of medium to dark brown chukka that I can wear casually, and as dressy as wearing them with a sport coat and jeans/khaki to the office in a business casual office.

So far, I have looked at: RL Saunders, Alden Chukka, and AE Dundee, just stumbled across the RW 9017.

What is everyone's thought on the 9017 chukka?

There was a threak on this but it is a bit dated and the information is not definitive: http://www.styleforum.net/t/169015/red-wing-beckman-chukka-nice/0_50

TIA.

4. bellyhungry

Some one please help or this kitten die:

[​IMG]

I have a pair of 9017 (cigar Beckman chukka) on its way to a store to try on, or I can get a pair of 9013 (Chestnut Beckman) instead.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  5. muzach

muzach Active Member

HELP! I just got a pair of chestnut Beckmans today, used, but in fine condition. I cleaned my Wolverine 1K's with some Lexol and applied some Filson boot oil. The Beckmans didn't look dirty, so I just wiped them with a damp rag, which may have had a little Lexol on it, but was mostly water. When I then put some Filson boot oil on my hand and applied it, I immediately got this terrible dark streak. These looked totally normal before. I quickly soaked a different rag in water and dabbed off all the oil. Any idea what happened, and if they can be saved?

[​IMG]

6. anrobit

anrobit Senior member

Did you apply oil to the entire boot or just this spot? Most conditioners will darken a boot at least temporarily. However, it's a necessity for proper maintenance, and will lighten back up again (and the best conditioners lighten back up to the original colour). For what it's worth, you probably didn't need to use lexol on the 1ks.

Either way, I'm not sure what the concern is.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  7. Distorbiant

Distorbiant Senior member

why are you applying so much different shit on your boots

1 person likes this.
  8. muzach

muzach Active Member

I've had the 1K's for 2 years and never used a cleaner, only oiled when they felt dry and used Montana Pitch-Blend every few months. I used the Lexol because when I'd gotten them topied, the cobbler put brown wax on the toe, and the toes have looked dull ever since. I wanted to get that layer off. As for these, I'd put the Filson boot oil on my palm, and applied it to the whole toe box area, and that part of it immediately turned that color. Not everywhere I applied it, just the triangular part on top in the pic. I'm thinking it may just be that that part had gotten scuffed at some point, and so the oil soaked into the scuffed section immediately, and will fade as it dries. My concern was that the same thing would happen to the rest of the boot if I used the wrong product, and I need to be able to take care of them when they get dried out and such. I'm going to see how it looks in the morning.

9. anrobit

anrobit Senior member

I think you're right on the money here. Scuffs darkening a lot on initial application is to be expected. They should fade back

10. muzach

muzach Active Member

Okay, the theory seemed sound to me. I've just never owned a lighter colored leather before, so this effect is new to me. I'm no leather expert, but I have read every page of the 1K thread, and don't recall having seen something like this. Sorry if I pulled the fire alarm too quickly.

11. anrobit

anrobit Senior member

No worries! This also seems a little more frequent with RW's featherstone leathers than with cxl. The featherstone seems to have some sort of topcoat finish that is prone to scuffs and the like

12. masshi

masshi Senior member

dang, first day I wear my 875s and it rains during my walk home :(

leather has some small spots of swelling where rain got on them

I know they're work boots and I was looking forward to getting them beaten in anyway, but I'm such a bitch over small stuff like this

13. OliverGauffe

OliverGauffe Senior member

http://www.spartoo.co.uk/Red-Wing-b1120.php With Red Wings and other kinds of leather work boots, you really should treat them for the winter. Get some good leather conditioner that may also have a water protection type of function (there are many diff products available)...treat the leather at the beginning of the season, and they'll stay nice...you can fix the weather spots this way, and prevent new ones...

14. loug

loug Well-Known Member

looks like a scuff mark that absorbed what ever you applied differently than the rest of the boot. might even out over time.

15. bellyhungry

Well, Viberg is offering shoes with paint all over them, this wee bit of smudge is nothing to lose sleep over.

As others would say 'Wear in good health....'

16. bellyhungry

This had been mentioned before, but I think is worth repeating:

Red Wing should seriously consider putting their Beckman Chukka heel onto their Beckman 6" Round Toe:

[​IMG]

vs.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
    2 people like this.
  17. anrobit

anrobit Senior member

They'll be fine. Just tree em and brush them and the spots will go away as it dries.

18. Jon L

Jon L Member

Standard pair of boots. Nothing too special. Check out timberland earthkeepers, my fav boots by far. If you're gunna get these, go for a darker color.

19. muzach

muzach Active Member

Well, I hope it does that sooner than later. It lightened a bit overnight, but is still pretty bad. Brushed it, rubbed it with my thumb, even tried a hairdryer for a little bit to see if that would have any effect. I'll still wear them, it's just a big disappointment.Looks like I dropped an ink stamp on it.

[​IMG]

20. loug

loug Well-Known Member

maybe poke the area lightly with a needle so the moisture (if any) under the stuff you applied can escape. notice it but it doesn't look all that bad.