1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Wupper, Jan 31, 2008.

1. mogili222

mogili222 Senior member

Looks good.. How much does such a job usually run?

2. anrobit

anrobit Senior member

I've heard glue attached outsoles have trouble sticking to the cork. Any concerns on your part?

3. bellyhungry

bellyhungry Senior member

Have not worn them out yet. Will report back.

Depends on which part of the world you live in, I imagine.I recall some got them done for around $30 but I paid $50 in my neck of the wood in Toronto, Canada.

4. dlaz

dlaz Well-Known Member

Wow those laces sure are fire.and that really makes them look like commando sole. For me i feel that cork sole was on grip even on wet surfaces,except grass though. and just my theory, I feel the cork sole is making them so stiff. I've just used an extra insole in them,starting to feel much comfy.

Gotta try that flat waxed laces.
    here's how mine's doing.over a year now,but not everyday wear.
    [​IMG]

5. bellyhungry

Yours are holding up quite well after a year. I am still getting used to the 'plastic-ky' look of the leather. If you are to get the flat waxed laces, my unsolicited advice is to get the wide ones like those used on W1K rather than the standard RW's. As for my BR, I spent today trudging through snow, slush, icy, and salted road, the soles are still in one piece and no sign of falling off :)

1 person likes this.
  6. bellyhungry

Inspired by Mario's spit-shined Beckman....

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. red81

red81 Senior member

where'd you find wide iron rangers?

8. anrobit

anrobit Senior member

I'm glad they're doing well!

1 person likes this.
  9. Siva

Siva Member

10. Kerrick

Kerrick Well-Known Member

Not all the varieties come in wide (Amber harness and hawthorne muleskinner do afaik)

I got my muleskinners in EE from zappos.

11. arkane

arkane Well-Known Member

Amazon carries Amber Harness and Hawthorne Muleskinner Iron Rangers in widths. On RW's website for each shoe model it shows what sizes & widths are available.

12. noobedloser

noobedloser Senior member

I just got some red wing moc toes and I was wondering when I should apply oil to them? How should I know when to re-oil them and when I can hold off? Can I be excessive by oiling them too much?
    I've been wearing these in rain and snow slush the past 3 weeks

13. anrobit

anrobit Senior member

I'm not sure what you mean by oiling, but you really don't need to condition them until they are dry. You will gain a sense for when leather is dry and when it is not. You can apply too much oil, so be sparing.

14. noobedloser

noobedloser Senior member

Ahh can you describe what it feels like when the leather is dry?
    And what I mean by oiling, I know you are suppose to apply oil to properly care for the leather, which may be conditioning.
    Thanks for the advice

15. David Martin

David Martin Member

If you live near a Red Wing store, they'll happily tell you which leather care to use (typically neatsfoot oil) and sell it to you. The boots or shoes will last almost forever. The stores are good for belts, which tend to have removable buckles, a good thing if you like western or custom buckles.

16. masshi

masshi Senior member

will red wing stores clean and oil your boots for you (for a fee of course)?

17. loug

loug Well-Known Member

they'll give you free replacement shoe laces too.

18. sklark23

sklark23 Senior member

The way I do it is:

• if they are tacky, they are probably over conditioned, let them sit a bit, wipe, then horsehair
    • they should feel slightly soft to the touch, low abrasion when wiped, just right
    • grainy (outside of induced grain leather), abrasive, and dry, think of your skin in low humidity and cold temps, should be conditioned

19. red81

red81 Senior member

dont' know about cleaning, but the guy i got my boots from told me he'd oil them every time i came in.

20. David Martin

David Martin Member

sklark23, I think you have it right. There's not much need to worry about over-oiling the leather. Their work boots will hold up with everyday outdoor use.