1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Wupper, Jan 31, 2008.

1. bellyhungry

bellyhungry Senior member

Just snapped this pic next to the Beckman with the laces replaced.

Overall, I am pleased with the purchase. They fit slightly wider than the Beckman of the same size (I have them both in size 9.5.) I probably could have gone down to a size 9.

The 'chunky' sole is not noticeable and I think it is better for Canadian Winter than the Beckman.

The Beckman took a few wears to break in whereas this one is fine right out of the box with no breaking in period.

[​IMG]

2. dieselman89

dieselman89 Senior member

Anyone else notice creasing marks from the laces on the tongue of their shoes? Is that natural with the iron ranger? Or is that caused from the mink oil?

3. Smartassassin

Smartassassin New Member

Diesel, that will be normal for any shoe with a leather tongue. Yes the oils will make them more prominent.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
  4. DanDan77

DanDan77 Member

Thanks! They look really good in this second picture. I think I'll pick these up as my winter/hiker boots. I'm going to replace the laces too but I don't like leather laces on my boots. I'm probably just going to go brown hiker laces or a flat styled lace like the Beckman.

edit: Sizing resolved. I'm going 9.5 I'm also thinking about picking up some vintage/beat up chukkas. I'm not sure if its a good or bad idea but for some reason I really want a pair.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  5. masshi

masshi Senior member

Sorry for remaking this post, but I figured embedding the actual pics would help:

My Zappos order came in and I was wondering:

1. Will the area below the toes stretch? They're a little tight, but nothing unbearable:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

First picture has me pointing to where the boot is a bit tight.

My three fingers are pointing to the length of area that has a bit of resistance on my foot, but like I said it's nothing major.

2. The leather isn't supposed to be a uniform shade, is it? Small scuffs, discoloration here and there, etc. are normal, right? In my first picture is an example of some darkening (next to my finger) for instance. Here's another example, a scuff (?):

[​IMG]

Sorry if a dumb question but my only experience with "quality" leather is my Tanner belt and bifold in natural (but those are treated differently anyway, right, in addition to being a different type of leather to begin with?).

Also for what it's worth I'm able to fit into a 7 pretty easily (minus the minor tightness mentioned above) despite being an 8.5 in Nike. And I swear that I wouldn't be able to comfortably wear any smaller, or, at least, not in Nike's running shoes.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  6. Neognosis

Neognosis Senior member

My iron rangers never stretched out across the area you are pointing to. I gave them 6 or 7 work day wears, and then gave up an sold them. My wolverines are just SO MUCH more comfortable, and were always comfortable from the get go.

7. pinoyman43

pinoyman43 Member

hi guys,

does anyone know how the oxfords fit? specifically the 8105? thanks!

8. VictorC

VictorC Senior member

The laces on my red wing 213 weren't all that great. So I bought some flat sport laces for them in brown. Its hard to tell the colour of the laces that originally come with the boot. Kind of 2 tone, black and brown.

9. bl@ster

bl@ster Senior member

Exactly the same as their non-oxford counterparts. I feel that this last fits True to Size. Order your Brannock size, bro!

1 person likes this.
  10. pinoyman43

pinoyman43 Member

11. xxxamazexxx

xxxamazexxx Senior member

Just like a previous poster on here, the hole on the tongue of my Red Wing seconds is tiny and likely to never be seen by anyone but me. The left shoe has a dark marking the size of a pea on the side, and the right shoe is virtually perfect. I don't see why they get so much disapproval on here. Got them for 90 bucks and compared to the price of $150 (which some people say you can get if you shop around) it's not a bad purchase. At all. And I wouldn't call these shoes 'defective' either.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  12. RRL CLOTHING

RRL CLOTHING Senior member

Because nothing screams cheap boots like leather with scrapes and thick stretch-marks on them! I don't think anyone would want argue that, who knows anything about quality footwear.

Why would you want USA quality (which is supposed to be high quality) and buy irregulars because they're cheap? You're just supporting a company or mentality that says it's okay to distribute low quality/defective goods if they are reduced. They should destroy irregulars. They shouldn't even be offered for sale. Why pay for "USA" made quality when you get sweatshop quality? Unless you're just buying Red Wings for the brand, in which case I pity you. Even Chinese Fryes have better QC. Honestly I haven't seen stretch-marks that bad since a cheap pair of Rockports I used to own years ago.

As you can see those holes are very visible on some.

[​IMG]

It's not worth the time or money to buy defectives to save a few bucks, it's a total crapshoot. If it makes you happy, then that's all that matters...

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  13. masshi

masshi Senior member

interesting

hate to keep pushing this, but anybody else care to weigh in on the 875's stretching ability?

14. dieselman89

dieselman89 Senior member

I just applied mink oil about a month ago. Should I reapply now?

15. xxxamazexxx

xxxamazexxx Senior member

Well if you got a bad pair of seconds that's unfortunate.

16. AAJJLLPP

AAJJLLPP Senior member

Scrapes and stretch marks are not such an issue in a casual boot, and from the pictures I cannot see any stretch marks or even scrapes. A pair of factory second redwings will outlast a pair of chinese fryes. If you use the boots how they were intended, they will scuff and change colour, hiding scapes and stretch marks anyway. Lastly a hole punch at the top of the tongue doesnt really matter, and its not visible when you're wearing it, which is what matters, your pants will cover it up completely, unless you're one of those people who tuck their jeans into their boots.:facepalm:

Everyone wants their work boots to be too perfect, they are not dress shoes, it's in their nature to get beat up, crease not so uniformly, and not have a perfect even tone in the leather.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
    5 people like this.
  17. Mercuryman76

Mercuryman76 Senior member

Amen. These are work boots not Gaziano & Girlings or John Lobbs people!

18. RRL CLOTHING

A lot of people wear their RW with the hems rolled up (selvedge), or tucked, at least that is if they wear Slim/Skinny cuts. This is the recent trend - and most people who wear RW follow this trend. Obviously, a HOLE in the tongue is unacceptable. I don't see why someone has to go out of their way to hide imperfections/defects on "high quality" boots.

[​IMG]

Guess Ryan Gosling isn't manly or is gay or something because he tucks in his jeans.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

No offense to the guys who bought the defectives, but they are rubbish, even for the discount price (Nordstroms frequently sells RW on sale for $139 or less with discount/coupons.)

[​IMG]

Scrapes, stretch marks, vein marks, scars in leather are indicative of poor quality control and low quality leather. Stretch marks/ Vein marks are clearly seen here. These sort of marks in the leather only get worse over time and with wear.

Now please, get back to discussing Mink oil and Obenaufs...

Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
  19. Mercuryman76

Mercuryman76 Senior member

Beat off to Ryan Gosling much? Sorry guys, I couldn't resist a jab at the guy that bought Thorogoods because he didn't want to pony up for RWs then takes a jab at others buying RWs 2nds. Ok, now back to RW talk.

2 people like this.
  20. RRL CLOTHING

Hey dumbass, I own BOTH. You of all people shouldn't talk shit. Keep flogging your used Naked and Famous jeans on the forums. What a loser.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and they're both FIRST QUALITY, bitch.

PS. Ryan Gosling owns you.