1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Wupper, Jan 31, 2008.

1. matthewh

matthewh Well-Known Member

Mink Oil shouldn't ruin any leather. The way it softens leather takes a long time as long as its not applied too often. Years and years of using Mink Oil has over softened some items I have. My suggestion is that if you like what you've already purchased, just keep using what you have. When its gone, or a year from now, if you want to try something else, then try it then. As long as you're not slogging thru mud and ankle deep water for long periods, Mink Oil should be fine.

2. VictorC

VictorC Senior member

I wanted mink oil but the shop I went to had sold out. Instead he recommended red wing all natural leather conditioner. which is pine pitch, mink oil and beeswax. Does that sound as good as mink oil and has it water repelling properties like Mink.

I just want my expensive boots to last.

3. masshi

masshi Senior member

Finally gonna order the 875 after months of being on the fence.

Just wanna know about the sizing - if I can fit into a Clarks DB size 7 (regular width), what would I be in the 875? (The DB in 7 is a tight fit, though.)

I've read a lot of conflicting suggestions about sizing down .5 all the way to others suggesting 1.5.

I'm usually an 8.5 in Nikes (Flyknit Trainer, Lunarglide 4, Roshe Run) for what it's worth.

I'm ordering from Zappos, but I don't want to order an 8, 7.5, and a 7 b/c that just seems dick-ish (plus I recently made a big return on a purchase from which I kept nothing).

I'm thinking that ordering just two sizes would be okay, so which should I narrow it down to - 8 & 7.5 or 7.5 & 7?

4. RRL CLOTHING

RRL CLOTHING Senior member

IDK, I'm a 10.5 in Thorogood moc wedge and a 10.5 in RW 875. Thorogood is true to size IMO. I am also a 10.5 in Frye. I think it's Wolverine that runs 1/2 size large. I have never heard anyone say go down 1.5 sizes.

I would say get your usual size or half size down if you're worried about it.

Go to Nordstroms or look up Red Wings shoe store locator on the website, you can try on in many stores.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  5. bl@ster

bl@ster Senior member

Get measured at a store and order that same size as your Brannock measurement. The particular last runs TTS, whereas some of the other RW lasts run .5 size large.

6. StillFly

StillFly Active Member

I sized down 1 from Nike. Tried on at Nordstrom first.

7. dieselman89

dieselman89 Senior member

The conditioner is exactly what it says it is. It does not do anything more than condition the shoes. RW Boot oil or mink oil are what the RW stores in my area recommend for treating the shoes out of the box. Most of the SAs encouraged boot oil.

8. VictorC

VictorC Senior member

So boot oil or mink oil make the boot water resistant but don't condition? Im assuming mink oil will preserve the life of the leather though and keep the leather nice looking?

So I may buy mink oil someday I think and use the conditioner on top of the mink oil.

9. dieselman89

I understand both do. However, some users on here suggest they do not make the boots water resistant only help the boots. See above posts about using Obenauf LP. That seems to be the best option for preserving the life of the leather. Not just on this thread, or this website, on several websites.

10. Dj01

Dj01 Member

11. Mercuryman76

Mercuryman76 Senior member

Just received my 9105 from STP. Ordered two sizes since I wasn't sure what to go with. IMO the defects weren't bad at all. The left boot of each pair had some minor scuffing or scoring.
    Pair 1
    [​IMG]

Pair 2
    [​IMG]

For $96 these don't really bother me because I'm going to beat the boots to shit anyway.

1 person likes this.
  12. RRL CLOTHING

Show us the holes, that would bother me way more than some stretch marks.

Funny thing is they could mark the hole in the sole the way Frye does, or stamp them IRR on the inside, but they blatently destroy otherwise fine boots with holes.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  13. Mercuryman76

Mercuryman76 Senior member

I guess these are the holes you're referring to. It's about the size of penpoint and it's actually tucked behind the eyelets so they're not even visible. If this is blatant destruction of a boot then...well, I guess we can't all live in perfect world.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  14. RRL CLOTHING

Its not about living in a perfect world. Its about not wanting to wear boots with holes or stretch marks on them. You,must be one of the lucky ones from the pics I have seen the holes are sometimes in VERY visible places

15. bl@ster

bl@ster Senior member

The hole and stretch marks are no big deal. Wear in good health, as the creepsters in the Alden thread would say.

1 person likes this.
  16. dieselman89

I thought I was picky about boots. These are small scuffs.

17. masshi

masshi Senior member

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  18. dlaz

dlaz Well-Known Member

you all know a certain store in boston is having a 40% off all item for over $250 rite?

by the way, I really start to hate my Iron Ranger due to its being so uncomfortable. Any suggestions to counter the cork sole? my Moc toes with christy sole are all comfy as marshmallow.

19. dappertimes

dappertimes Well-Known Member

i second that!

20. DanDan77

DanDan77 Member

I'm curious what your thoughts are on these now that you probably have some wear on them. How is the fit/sole? The grip of the lug sole looks appealing but I think it just looks a bit clunky. I was thinking of picking up a pair just as my Canadian winter boots.

I would also love to see a picture with the new laces.