1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Wupper, Jan 31, 2008.

1. RRL CLOTHING

RRL CLOTHING Senior member

do factory seconds get stamped somewhere? Or otherwise noticeably messed up?

2. themonster

themonster Well-Known Member

They punch a tiny hoe in the tongue.

3. RRL CLOTHING

Thanks for fast reply.. Do you know if it's just a defect/scuff in the leather, very tiny detail or is the sizing off or something?

Hard to buy something and then they send you something that has tiny defect or something with huge defect, or do they just discard the ones with huge defects?

4. themonster

themonster Well-Known Member

It really depends. Someone bought a pair of 1000 mile factory seconds and didn't noticed the plastic toe liner wasn't installed until 2 weeks later. I wouldn't be so concerned since STP, apparently, has lifetime warranty.

5. RRL CLOTHING

I talked to my buddy just now who bought some factory 2nd Red Wing 875 a few months ago and he said the stitching was undone in the back and cost $60 to fix by a cobbler, Nordstrom recently sold 1st quality ones for $139. Not worth going with factory 2nds IMO if you have to pay to repair them.

Then he sold them on ebay for $50 because they had the hole in the tongue and repair, further killing their resale value.

Good deal if you aren't expecting much for $96. I'd rather buy used First Quality RW than new 2nd quality. I just bought an 875 on ebay a week ago for $140 shipped worn once or twice.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  6. ShakeEmUp

ShakeEmUp Well-Known Member

I ordered a pair of 875s in 11 and they felt a bit to small and were too tight in the middle of my foot. Has anybody owned the round toes? I found a pair in 11.5 that I like but I'm assuming they would also be too slim.

7. europrep

europrep Senior member

A lot of off price retailers like STP and the various TJX stores will be forced by vendors to label items as Factory 2nd even though nothing is wrong with the item. Each vendor is different. I needed a pair of good boots for New England winter, so just picked up a pair of Red Wing on STP. I let you guys know if they are factory 2nds.

8. RRL CLOTHING

They're definitely seconds. The site says "2nds" and some models have "closeout" written (first quality overstock)

That's why they're discounted so much. A lot of people jumped on these thinking they're getting First Quality overstock and this was a huge mistake from the website, but STP isn't stupid. I'm sure a ton of these will be returned once people get them.

TJX doesn't sell 2nds, they sell 99% overstock/past season.

Also just found an eBay seller frequently has 2nds for $99. He must be finding them for ~$50 somewhere to be selling them that cheap. $100 for seconds isn't really a great deal. A quick search here:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...ASSIC+WORK+BOOT+MADE+IN+USA+SIZE&_sacat=93427

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  9. chucaieve

chucaieve New Member

I put some mink oil on my RW 8111 (Iron Ranger Ambers) and they seem to have small dark spots at different spots on the shoer. Furthermore, the shoe is now very sensitive to pressure. For example, the tongue is showing all the markings from the lacings.

10. europrep

europrep Senior member

There is a good chance they are seconds, but with a liberal return policy by STP, there is no risk. As I stated, STP, TJX, & other off-price-retailers will list items as seconds when they are sometimes not. They are required to do so by certain companies that don't want to be perceived as selling their first quality items to these companies.

Quote: You managed to fit two incorrect statements into that short sentence. TJX does sell seconds and there merchandise is only about 10% overstock/past season. It is a widely incorrect assumption by many people that they only sell overstock or past season items.

11. RRL CLOTHING

LOL @10 % overstock. Wow you clearly are clueless. TJX ONLY sells past season and overstock and only very few samples/irregulars/2nds. I used to be manager at Marshalls. Most of TJX stock of Polo, Jack Spade, Vince, Rugby, Diesel, Marc Jacobs, higher end brands, etc comes from Nordstroms and Bloomingdales and Neiman as well as PRL at the end of every season marked PSR (past-season.)

If they sell occasional "irregulars", that's because they are irregular from the factory and marked as such, and not because of some BS "perceived first quality" regulations from the manufacturer.

As far as returns go, why abuse STP's return policy because of your ignorance? They clearly marked them SECONDS and gave them 60+% discount. If you think you're getting otherwise you are sadly mistaken and will waste time returning them. Unless of course you don't mind wearing defective merchandise, then by all means keep them and save yourself a few dollars.

12. europrep

europrep Senior member

^ I'll respond one more time and then won't bother so as not to clog up this thread. You are welcome to have the last word. I am not abusing STP. I am expecting factory seconds and my hope is that it is a minor problem that is worth the discount. My statement above was that if it turns out they are first quality, I will let everyone know. I also believe that many people do not realize that some items that are marked as seconds may actually be first quality because the off-price-retailers are required to label them as such by certain contracts (not all). If this is common knowledge, then my apologizes for wasting people's time.

I can say with 100% certainty that my approximation of 10% overstock is much closer to the truth than your approximation of 99%. I am ignorant to a lot of things, but this is not one of them.

13. masshi

masshi Senior member

So about all of this mink oil and brushing and cleaning and stuff - is all of this upkeep for the sake of the boot's longevity or just for keeping the boots looking clean?

Or both?

Because I like the look of when the 875's/moc toes are really worn and beaten in, but will never taking the time to apply oil and/or clean them severely kill their durability or something?

14. ricesuit

ricesuit Senior member

i like my boots to look worn too, but it just makes sense to oil occasionally cause of how much precipitation there is in vancouver. if i'm correct it helps with the water resistance and lessens the deterioration?

15. dieselman89

dieselman89 Senior member

How long does mink oil keep the boots waterproof? I applied a coating of Meletonian mink oil a few weeks ago.

16. Brooks

Brooks Senior member

I'm in Vancouver too and I applied two coat of Obenaufs LP and haven't had a problem with rain or puddles.

17. StillFly

StillFly Active Member

What technique do you use? I've heard of using a hair dryer or even putting in an oven.

18. dieselman89

What are your thoughts about Mink Oil?

19. cathpah

cathpah Senior member

Good for moisturizing and nourishing, less helpful/specialized for waterproofing.

20. dieselman89