1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Red Wing boot sizing...

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Anamoly, Feb 16, 2007.

1. LeicaLad

LeicaLad Well-Known Member

Based in Thailand, often in Burma/Myanmar, now run
    Great post LL!

I actually know you from that sf thread. I had forgotten about Cotton Duck's scans. I saw GregNYC's post, and I really wish there was a way to get some of those moc toe boots here in the US.

Thanks, Ang,

I knew you were there, too, but had a moment to expand on the subject. Red Wings are such a torment. You pretty much have to try them on, AND you can't get the best models without major connections or pull -- or long distance travel. I even was able to leverage communications between RW corporate to their Singapore shop looking to score some of these special models, but to no avail.

Several people have kindly offered to do a service-type arrangement, but I just know I'd have a fit problem and then it'd be a hassle for the kind soul who was willing to help. Ain't gonna do it.

SO, the idea was to attract others back into the SuFu shoe maven thread and -- who knows? -- if we can generate enough pestering questions to Red Wings corporate office, they might actually consider the line for sale in the US. Imagine, selling their best line to their home market. Who could imagine, eh?

Anyway, I'm always interested to hear the Red Wings "fit" stories, "Ëścause if the chance for one of these DOES come up, I'd like to have the best idea possible on how the d*mn things fit!

Cheers!

2. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

I really do wonder if Red Wing makes their sizing so unbelievably obnoxious to force people into their stores. They already keep distribution very tightly controlled. It's kind of strange, consider the other divisions of Justin don't pull any of this bullshit (Chippewa, etc).

3. auto90403

auto90403 Senior member

Santa Monica, California/McLean, Virginia
    I really do wonder if Red Wing makes their sizing so unbelievably obnoxious to force people into their stores. They already keep distribution very tightly controlled. It's kind of strange, consider the other divisions of Justin don't pull any of this bullshit (Chippewa, etc).

That's very possible.

But making customers uncertain about sizing/fit runs the risk of losing sales.

Whether forcing customers into stores outweighs the lost sales is an empirical question. Not sure which one would prevail.

4. Maharlika

Maharlika Senior member

i've got a pair of 1905s which was one of the Anniversary models. based on their fancy machine, i was recommended an 11E. that ended up being a little too large. i felt the 11D was the right fit for me. however, i also tried the 10.5D and they fit with the socks that i was wearing but if i went with a thicker pair or socks or walked around in them for any length of time, i think it would have been uncomfortable.

and a quick thumbs up to the Covina Red Wing store that i got them at out here in SoCal.

-Jeff

I just got a pair of the Red Wings 1905 "Centennial" issue and it's really amazing. I bought it at the Red Wings Store on 1st Street in Downtown L.A. The gentleman there knows all about RW and he's been in that store for 30 years!

5. LeicaLad

LeicaLad Well-Known Member

Based in Thailand, often in Burma/Myanmar, now run
    Okay. Now brief us on the sizing experience of these. What size did you get and how does that compare to your "usual" sizing?

Cheers!

6. Maharlika

Maharlika Senior member

Okay. Now brief us on the sizing experience of these. What size did you get and how does that compare to your "usual" sizing? Cheers!
    I am a size 9 in U.S. I tried both size 9 and 8 1/2 , the salesman told me not to go by number but how they fit. Initially, the 9 felt a little loose so I tried 8 1/2 which felt 'snug'. I went for the size 9 because I didn't want it too tight. It's really difficult because my right foot is slightly wider than my left. I would say the 'Centennial" edition is true to size.

7. capecodkevin

capecodkevin New Member

I own a pair of heritage chukkas size 12(true to size). They fit kind of big. I wear a thick sock and have room. When I bought a pair of 595 chukkas for work I went down a half size(11.5). These boots, after one shift are pretty tight. They are chaffing my toes. They are tight, not murderously tight though. My toes are near the end, not crammed though. I'm worried I should have bought the work chukkas 595 true to size. Will they break in and give me more room in the toes? Or will they only widen? Thanks.