• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing boot appreciation thread

DG123

Reaction score
Here are a couple pairs of model 8659, a discontinued style from Red Wing's work shoe line. These are not much for style, but are incredibly comfortable. I have one pair in black, and one in a red brown color, both well worn from lots of use.
IMG_9479.JPG
IMG_9489.JPG

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you use saddle soap and boot oil on your pair of 953's, please post a photo.

I’ll try to remember to do a before and after next time around.

I have done them a couple of times in about 2 years of ownership. I don’t wear them a lot but they get hard use when they are worn.

Buellrider

Reaction score
Picked up some vintage 2268 PT91. They were worn only a couple of times and are in fantastic condition. Not sure what leather they used for these in the 90s, but they are not the black chrome leather like the more recent 2268s. Anyone have that info?

38C85B62-56FD-4498-8B3E-DBF87D03BE33.jpeg
006F1396-EB7F-45FE-B4DC-A13C1649667B.jpeg

DG123

Reaction score
Red Wing model #1159 pull on boot with RW Supersole !

IMG_0766.JPG

IMG_0768.JPG

Moostyle

Reaction score
I just ordered some Red WIng Moc Toes in Black Cherry which looks like a beautiful colour and I can't wait to see it in the flesh. Today I went to a local store to do some sizing and tried on a different colour of Red Wing Moc Toe. The SIze US11 was long but a good fit for my foot width and I thought that a 10.5 would also work... wow was I mistaken. The 10.5 felt much tighter and gave me pinkie rub. I guess I have to accept now that my foot is an 11D width and that I will just have some extra toe space in most of the boots I buy. :)

Attachments

• Redwingblackcherry.jpg
    Redwingblackcherry.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 125

DG123

Reaction score
I just ordered some Red WIng Moc Toes in Black Cherry which looks like a beautiful colour and I can't wait to see it in the flesh. Today I went to a local store to do some sizing and tried on a different colour of Red Wing Moc Toe. The SIze US11 was long but a good fit for my foot width and I thought that a 10.5 would also work... wow was I mistaken. The 10.5 felt much tighter and gave me pinkie rub. I guess I have to accept now that my foot is an 11D width and that I will just have some extra toe space in most of the boots I buy. :)

For boot fitting, "long is not wrong" is an old saying. Back when narrow width boots were more readily available, going to a longer size but at the same time a more narrow width, a proper fit was usually found. In more recent times, since nearly all brands have discontinued producing narrow width sizes, customers are using thicker socks or after market insoles to snug up a boot's fit. If your new pair of size 11D boots are a bit loose fitting Red Wing does produce some separately sold insole models that may help you achieve your best fit.

Moostyle

Reaction score
For boot fitting, "long is not wrong" is an old saying. Back when narrow width boots were more readily available, going to a longer size but at the same time a more narrow width, a proper fit was usually found. In more recent times, since nearly all brands have discontinued producing narrow width sizes, customers are using thicker socks or after market insoles to snug up a boot's fit. If your new pair of size 11D boots are a bit loose fitting Red Wing does produce some separately sold insole models that may help you achieve your best fit.
Thanks for confirming. I generally add an additional thin leather sole to make things a little more snug and less roomy, and I also have some heel grips if I need them, so I think I should be ok. :)

Moostyle

Reaction score
The Red Wing Black Cherry Excalibur 8847 Moc Toes have arrived! I bought them from here for a good price (for Europe at least) and shipping was super quick https://www.oipolloi.com/products/r...boot-black-cherry?_pos=1&_sid=573a992a4&_ss=r

They seem to fit well with midweight hiking socks, no pinkie rub to speak of (that I can notice yet at least) with a little extra room. They look awesome, such a lovely colour!

One thing I'll say is that they are really tight to get on and off your foot unless you take the laces out of the top two holes, so I will get those replaced with speed hooks. Also, I just added a very thin leather and latex sole like I now do with almost all of my US11D boots and it now feels much nicer underfoot.

They look awesome imo and I will begin the break-in process today. :)

EDIT - The first wear was very promising I walked a mile and a half and they were very comfy with no rub or pressure etc! I can see these becoming well loved boots.

Attachments

• 20220218_113245.jpg
    20220218_113245.jpg
    509.5 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:

DG123

Reaction score
The Red Wing Black Cherry Excalibur 8847 Moc Toes have arrived! I bought them from here for a good price (for Europe at least) and shipping was super quick https://www.oipolloi.com/products/r...boot-black-cherry?_pos=1&_sid=573a992a4&_ss=r

They seem to fit well with midweight hiking socks, no pinkie rub to speak of (that I can notice yet at least) with a little extra room. They look awesome, such a lovely colour!

One thing I'll say is that they are really tight to get on and off your foot unless you take the laces out of the top two holes, so I will get those replaced with speed hooks. Also, I just added a very thin leather and latex sole like I now do with almost all of my US11D boots and it now feels much nicer underfoot.

They look awesome imo and I will begin the break-in process today. :)

EDIT - The first wear was very promising I walked a mile and a half and they were very comfy with no rub or pressure etc! I can see these becoming well loved boots.

Great looking pair of Red Wing boots. Enjoy !

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These are the Merchant. The original laces were awful so I switched for these rawhide

View attachment 1737513

I've just bought a pair of Merchant Oxfords and have ordered some rawhide laces so this is good to see.

I read that the original laces are awful and I also thought rawhide would add some contrast.

Are yours the ebony harness? If so they have lightened up nicely

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads