• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing 9111 after using "Silicone Waterproofing"

blue squares

Reaction score
Originally Posted by solbro
OK, They're boots. If your'e hiking or working, who cares, and if not, why are you wearing boots?

congratulations on your first post.

modagg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
This thread hasn't been posted in since September last year. Good job.

Exactly, what type of person creates an account just to bring back a rather unimportant thread that has been dead for almost a year?

dinogj

Reaction score
I prefer the finish after the silicone was applied....

if anyone asks: it was a redwing collab that cost way more money than they would spend.

byomer

Reaction score
BUT to bring this topic back alive, I myself purchased a 9111 and is in the market for some care products for my boots. From the thread I know I dont want to use silicon based products on oil-tanned leather, so WHAT DO I USE?

bote

Reaction score

Red Wing 9111, 48hrs after using "Silicone Waterproofing" became like this :
GetAttachmentaspx.jpg
The original should like this:
RW9111_3.jpg
anyone can help, how to get back to the original color/looking ?
Hi all, just bought and use the same item for my 9111.. Before i bought it i try to find mink oil and leather oil but all store that sells red wing in Jakarta Indonesia said that mink oil and leather oil will make 9111 looks glossy, the original color and leather for 9111 is not glossy, bit rough and mesh.. So, i bought the silicone waterproofing and apply to 9111 and the result is same as your shoes.. In the direction of use on the can said "allowed it dry and apply it again" Does it really make a different if i apply it for the second time? Bellow is the picture of my 9111 after applied :
jMbzuob.jpg

bote

Reaction score

why does it look like that? very simple. the silicone stuff you sprayed on there is primarily used for suede leather. the leather on your Redwings was oil-tanned (chrome tanned + oil treatment/finish) and the primary way of water proofing oil-tanned leather is with an oil based product. the streaks are there because the silicone isn't getting absorbed.
Red Wing 9111, 48hrs after using "Silicone Waterproofing" became like this :
GetAttachmentaspx.jpg
The original should like this:
RW9111_3.jpg
anyone can help, how to get back to the original color/looking ?
Hi all, just bought and use the same item for my 9111.. Before i bought it i try to find mink oil and leather oil but all store that sells red wing in Jakarta Indonesia said that mink oil and leather oil will make 9111 looks glossy, the original color and leather for 9111 is not glossy, bit rough and mesh.. So, i bought the silicone waterproofing and apply to 9111 and the result is same as your shoes.. In the direction of use on the can said "allowed it dry and apply it again" Does it really make a different if i apply it for the second time? Red wing customer care support also mailed me that thay recommended to use mink oil and leather cleaner.. I am still confuse about this. Mink oil will make the 9111 looks glossy which is not like the original 9111 Bellow is the picture of my 9111 after applied :
jMbzuob.jpg
bo8b4FY.png

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics