• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wine With Chicken?

cmrocks

Reaction score
I'm fairly new to drinking wine and I'm very new to the art of pairing wine with food. I've always heard that one should pair red meat with red wine and chicken/pasta with white wine. With that being said, I don't really care for white wine. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to select a red wine to go with chicken, a pasta dish or other meals that are traditionally paired with white wine?

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It depends what you're having.

A chicken panini on the patio -- I'd go with a Charonnay probably.

Coq au vin with whatever I feel like (if I were cooking it'd probably be whatever I cooked with).

Chicken cacciatore can go either way -- the sauce is usually made with white wine, so if I were cooking I'd probably just drink that. But sometimes I feel like having a red -- in this case, probably a Montepulciano because the dryness and lack of spiciness works better with the white wine in the sauce.

Just test stuff out and think to yourself while you're eating: what do you enjoy about the food? What do you enjoy about the wine? What similarities are there? What in either detracts from the other?

For instance, I know if I had a super tuscan with chicken cacciatore it'd probably overpower the sauce a bit. If I had it with a big steak or even a big piece of stuffed pork it'd cut through the heartiness of the bistecca and add some flavor beyond the beef.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
why is trying to flex his knowledge abit (and admittedly lost me in reference to the dryness of his red wine), but he's got the right idea. Don't worry about white/red per se, match the quality of the particular wine with the qualities of the particular dish.

As a general rule of thumb, pinots will go with many chicken dishes. This is not universal however, as I'd put a slighty off-dry, sharp, minerally Riesling with say, spicy Thai peanut sauce chicken skewers.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
why is trying to flex his knowledge abit (and admittedly lost me in reference to the dryness of his red wine), but he's got the right idea. Don't worry about white/red per se, match the quality of the particular wine with the qualities of the particular dish

Have you ever had montepulciano? It's not the best wine by a long shot, but it has a rustic character unlike almost any other old world reds created by its intense dryness. Really, it works well with dishes like cacciatores that have a lot of flavor and spices of their own while still being relatively light compared to full ragus or stews.

I like this in particular: http://www.seattlepi.com/food/312941_winepick25.html

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
Have you ever had montepulciano? It's not the best wine by a long shot, but it has a rustic character unlike almost any other old world reds created by its intense dryness. Really, it works well with dishes like cacciatores that have a lot of flavor and spices of their own while still being relatively light compared to full ragus or stews.

I like this in particular: http://www.seattlepi.com/food/312941_winepick25.html

There's the phrase I'm having problems with. Dry is dry. It's not like Wine A has no residual sugar and Wine B is "intensely dry" with a negative sugar content.

Dry is dry and the vast majority of wines have no residual sugar upon completion of fermentation.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
There's the phrase I'm having problems with. Dry is dry. It's not like Wine A has no residual sugar and Wine B is "intensely dry" with a negative sugar content.

Dry is dry and the vast majority of wines have no residual sugar upon completion of fermentation.

I can see why you're having trouble if you think there's no varying degress of dryness. Dryness also isn't entirely dependent on the sugar content.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
I can see why you're having trouble if you think there's no varying degress of dryness. Dryness also isn't entirely dependent on the sugar content.

Once you reach essentially zero residual sugar, the state of the vast majority of wines, I do fail to see how it can vary. I'm always willing to learn though. And yeah, to my knowledge, dryness = sugar content (or lack thereof).

Now, the taste of a dry wine might vary, based upon other factors, i.e. ETOH content, tannin level, acidity etc. But dry is dry. Taste, however, can be manipulated.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Don't think of wine as this incredibly strange creature or anything. It's a foodstuff. Pairing food and wine is easy, and doesn't rely on red wine = meat and white wine = pasta/seafood. Don't think of it that way--- erase that from your mind immediately. Assuming you're drinking wine, then it's part of your meal. It's not separate from the meal, but is contained entirely within the meal. There are two basic ways to pair food with wine, 1) pick a wine that is similar in taste and texture to the food, or 2) pick a wine that offers a contrast in taste or texture. There are definitely some natural matches--- foie gras/sauternes, oysters and champagne, etc, but wine pairing is easy. Make it a part of the dish and either contrast it or complement it.

When he was at Trio, Grant Achatz took patagonian toothfish, crusted it in cooked popcorn, seared it, and paired it with a really buttery chardonnay. People **** their pants over it, acting like it was some incredibly genius thing. It's not. It's popcorn and butter. This stuff is too easy. Don't make the pairing difficult on yourself.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
^ Sauternes with blue cheeses. ZOMG.

Jbreen1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The perfect wine for you would be beaujolais. It's light and fruity, less tannin and good middle ground between a white and a more complex flavorful red. Stay away from the regular beaujolais though and go for beaujolais villages, it's usually 1-2 dollars more but a much better wine. Cru beaujolais is better yet. Many wine snobs stay away from beaujolais but many of the village and cru versions can be quite complex yet still light and fruity. Good for the summertime with any food if you don't like whites. Plus, it is cheap.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Are there red's you like? If so, get one of those, but get a new vintner to try out. Food pairings is for the birds. Who cares if it pairs off well when you think the wine takes like crap?

Jbreen1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why

Dryness is totally dependent on the sugar content. Your perception of it being dry may be due to other reasons but that is because of a lack of experience and knowledge of the different aspects of wine. When a wine is said to be dry, that means it has no residual sugar, period. Off-dry means that there is some sugar but a very small amount, for example, .03 percent. Sweet wines are ones that have 3 percent or more residual sugar.

What some people think is dryness is actually tannin. Tannin can dry your mouth out quickly and cause a puckering effect, but that has nothing to do with whether the wine is dry or not.

vinouspleasure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jbreen1
The perfect wine for you would be beaujolais.
+1 Brun l'ancien VV and roast chicken is just about perfect imo. While there are great pairings, my advice for great food is if in doubt, don't worry about the perfect pairing and simply choose one of your favorite wines. You’ll be guaranteed great food and great wine, a win-win proposition.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics