• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Windowpane on black

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saw an interesting cloth in Dormeuil book. It's a fine line dark red windowpane (about 1 1/4 x 1 1/2") on black worsted. Looks neat for a suit (thinking SBPL)
cool.gif
and was wondering what the forum thinks would go with it. I generally stay away from black but the pattern is intriguing. Sorry I don't have a picture.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I know EXACTLY the cloth you mean - I was looking at it this very afternoon!
laugh.gif

From Dormeuil's Royal 12 book, right? Pin-width red check and the black cloth has a sort of shadow-check.

It's utterly gorgeous. I was thinking a 2BSB with hacking and ticket pocket for it.

I decided against purely because, well, I couldn't see what I was going to wear with it because I find it very tricky to complement black suits. The only black suit I have is a very classic black pinstripe and even that I sometime struggle to match to.

If you can think of a few shirt/tie combos you'd like to wear with the red check/black background, I'd say go for it, because the cloth is lovely.

(I ended up choosing a charcoal grey from the same book with a red pinstripe and a shadow-stripe for a 3-piece 3BSB instead.)

Duveen

Reaction score
Hard to say without a pic, but I would likely stay away - I'd wager that you wear it a lot less than you think. If you really want an unusual piece and aren't worried about it having some serious closet time, go for it. But it would be more likely be the 25th suit I bought rather than the 12th... Not sure where you are in your purchasing history - I am guessing that you already have a basic wardrobe.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I think it sounds great. For me, it would get much more wear than basic navy or charcoal....but my suit wearing practices are off the beaten path.

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Avoid if you have dark hair and a goatee (or van dyke)
Why?

mbc

Reaction score
Sounds ominous. Go for it.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
White shirt seems very stark but I do have a red/grey/black tie that would "make a statement" .
eek.gif
I'm thinking maybe a light grey shirt and a tie having red as a secondary color.
wink.gif
Any other suggestions? You're right Holdfast, this isn't an easy one

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ Grey shirt isn't a bad idea at all. I didn't think of that.

The main thing I could think of was cream shirt + tie with red accents. I did feel that a brown shirt might work with it too.

The patterns just not versatile enough, sadly. If it was dark grey, it would have been a no-brainer to pick this cloth. But as it is, I had to resist, as I said.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Grey shirts seem like they should be reserved to Imperial extras in Star Wars. But, that's just me.

mano

Reaction score
I recently sold a Scabal suit in super 100s dark charcoal with red/vermillion windowpane. Gorgeous material and pattern.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jovan Grey shirts seem like they should be reserved to Imperial extras in Star Wars. But, that's just me.
I'd need the jacket to be DB for it to be sufficiently menacing.
laugh.gif

Another question, would a vest work? I don't see too many windowpane suits and wonder if anyone has seen a vest. And if so lapels or no lapels (the jacket would be SB w/peak lapels).

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Having seen it myself, I would not recommend a waistcoat with this particular fabric. The size of the windowpane and the vibrancy of the red on black would not suit it I think. Just my opinion of course.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Holdfast, the more I think about it I tend to agree. The horizontal lines of the pattern on the vest wouldn't work. I'll try to post pictures when it's done

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads