1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 9: A MTM nylon MA-1 bomber from Falcon Garments

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a nylon MA-1 from Falcon garments. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Red Windowpane on black

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by yachtie, Jul 6, 2006.

1. yachtie

yachtie Distinguished Member

Saw an interesting cloth in Dormeuil book. It's a fine line dark red windowpane (about 1 1/4 x 1 1/2") on black worsted. Looks neat for a suit (thinking SBPL) [​IMG] and was wondering what the forum thinks would go with it. I generally stay away from black but the pattern is intriguing. Sorry I don't have a picture.

2. Holdfast

Holdfast Stylish Dinosaur

I know EXACTLY the cloth you mean - I was looking at it this very afternoon! [​IMG]

From Dormeuil's Royal 12 book, right? Pin-width red check and the black cloth has a sort of shadow-check.

It's utterly gorgeous. I was thinking a 2BSB with hacking and ticket pocket for it.

I decided against purely because, well, I couldn't see what I was going to wear with it because I find it very tricky to complement black suits. The only black suit I have is a very classic black pinstripe and even that I sometime struggle to match to.

If you can think of a few shirt/tie combos you'd like to wear with the red check/black background, I'd say go for it, because the cloth is lovely.

(I ended up choosing a charcoal grey from the same book with a red pinstripe and a shadow-stripe for a 3-piece 3BSB instead.)

3. Duveen

Duveen Senior Member

Hard to say without a pic, but I would likely stay away - I'd wager that you wear it a lot less than you think. If you really want an unusual piece and aren't worried about it having some serious closet time, go for it. But it would be more likely be the 25th suit I bought rather than the 12th... Not sure where you are in your purchasing history - I am guessing that you already have a basic wardrobe.

4. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

I think it sounds great. For me, it would get much more wear than basic navy or charcoal....but my suit wearing practices are off the beaten path.

5. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

Avoid if you have dark hair and a goatee (or van dyke)

6. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Distinguished Member

I've a black with red windowpane cashmere sportscoat by Brioni and consider it to be very handsome.

7. jml90

jml90 Distinguished Member

Avoid if you have dark hair and a goatee (or van dyke)
    Why?

8. mbc

mbc Senior Member

Sounds ominous. Go for it.

9. yachtie

White shirt seems very stark but I do have a red/grey/black tie that would "make a statement" .[​IMG] I'm thinking maybe a light grey shirt and a tie having red as a secondary color. [​IMG] Any other suggestions? You're right Holdfast, this isn't an easy one

10. Holdfast

^ Grey shirt isn't a bad idea at all. I didn't think of that.

The main thing I could think of was cream shirt + tie with red accents. I did feel that a brown shirt might work with it too.

The patterns just not versatile enough, sadly. If it was dark grey, it would have been a no-brainer to pick this cloth. But as it is, I had to resist, as I said.

11. Jovan

Jovan Banned for Good

Grey shirts seem like they should be reserved to Imperial extras in Star Wars. But, that's just me.

12. mano

mano Senior Member

I recently sold a Scabal suit in super 100s dark charcoal with red/vermillion windowpane. Gorgeous material and pattern.

13. yachtie

I'd need the jacket to be DB for it to be sufficiently menacing.[​IMG]

Another question, would a vest work? I don't see too many windowpane suits and wonder if anyone has seen a vest. And if so lapels or no lapels (the jacket would be SB w/peak lapels).

14. Holdfast

Having seen it myself, I would not recommend a waistcoat with this particular fabric. The size of the windowpane and the vibrancy of the red on black would not suit it I think. Just my opinion of course.

15. yachtie

Thanks Holdfast, the more I think about it I tend to agree. The horizontal lines of the pattern on the vest wouldn't work. I'll try to post pictures when it's done