• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

red/white pincord suit - would you wear it?

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In aword no.

It looks entirely vulgar.

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would wear them as seperates but might hesitate to wear them together

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NukeMeSlowly

I kind of like this but (although I have no problem with my blue/white SS) I cannot visualize what shirt & tie colors would fly here. Blue? Yellow? Pink?

_c280seersuckerrouge.jpg

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't find the red/white at all objectionable. The button stance and button colors, however, are a different matter altogether.

NukeMeSlowly

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
_c280seersuckerrouge.jpg

I must say I dig this suit. Am I mental? With the wide collar and pronounced knot, it looks extremely far removed from candycane.

I am on the albino end of the Irish white pigmentation spectrum, however. Would this color scheme require a more swarthy complexion to work?

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Not a fan of either the very narrow stripes or the cut of the first pic, sorry.

Tomasso's picture is much better, but still not for me.

Margaret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not convinced this suit wouldn't work on the right person (probably 50+, slightly greying, fair-skinned, tall and elegant, with an assured, impeccable sense of style). But I think it's one of those things where if you have to ask whether it would work for you, it probably won't. White shirt would be best. Reddish-Salmon tie?

Oh, almost forgot my standard Land's End line: If in doubt try it, post a pic, and we'll let you know -- Land's End takes back everything.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In GCS last night at about 11pm I saw a man wearing this suit or a similar one. From a distance I thought it was pink stripes but he had a straw boater on and a pair of white bucks. I tried to whip the old camera out but Id been with friends watching Poland in the WC and sipping vodka so i was in no condition to whip anything out quickly. He disappeared from view before I could get a clear shot. He was older, no tall and had a jaunty gait. He looked like he was enjoying himself.

Oh, and i wouldnt wear it, it doesnt say FNB.

Margaret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film_Noir_Buff
In GCS last night at about 11pm I saw a man wearing this suit or a similar one. From a distance I thought it was pink stripes but he had a straw boater on and a pair of white bucks. I tried to whip the old camera out but Id been with friends watching Poland in the WC and sipping vodka so i was in no condition to whip anything out quickly. He disappeared from view before I could get a clear shot. He was older, no tall and had a jaunty gait. He looked like he was enjoying himself.

Oh, and i wouldnt wear it, it doesnt say FNB.

A straw boater and white bucks, of course! Was he by any chance practicing "Goodbye, My Coney Island Baby"?

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
It looks okay, but probably not for me. Tall guys should go for much wider stripes in a suit. As a shirt, I'm pretty sure seersucker or bengal stripe is okay though.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Margaret
A straw boater and white bucks, of course! Was he by any chance practicing "Goodbye, My Coney Island Baby"?

No he was heading towards a train bound for CT doing a very good rendition of "Feet dont fail me now"

The city has changed so much he stood out like an untouchable anachronism, like he was superimposed on reality from a period film.

Of course I was with a bunch of crazy Polish soccer hooligans earlier and Im in a suit with a tie and pocket square. My pocket square got pulled out about 20 times and I had to show these guys how to fold one between shots of vodka. Someone with size 12s also seemed to believe my shoes were too well polished. I also got head butted twice. Sometimes I wonder if time isnt passing me by as well.

Margaret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jovan
It looks okay, but probably not for me. Tall guys should go for much wider stripes in a suit. As a shirt, I'm pretty sure seersucker or bengal stripe is okay though.

I disagree. I think broad stripings and larger patterns are generally better suited to larger men, where there is more surface area available for the pattern to play itself out and 'breathe'. Broad stripings and large patterns can often overwhelm more slightly-built men, who tend to be better served by somewhat narrower stripes and tighter patterns.

Originally Posted by Film_Noir_Buff

The city has changed so much he stood out like an untouchable anachronism, like he was superimposed on reality from a period film.

A man dressed in anything but standard issue navy, grey or black stands out in New York.

PunctualAlex

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
_c280seersuckerrouge.jpg

When I am an old man I will mortify my children by wearing things like this all the time. I would do it tomorrow if I was less busy and more zany.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads