• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red tie = too powerful?

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ive always been told that red ties are too powerful and should never be worn when at an interview or at work.

Is this true? I work in corp finance here in LA and I found this nice red gren but could I wear this at work?

Also, what would I wear it with? I was thinking of white shirt and black trousers but that seems a little boring.

Thank you

Cheers

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No. I've frequently worn red or dark burgundy to interviews successfully, and I've interviewed several candidates who've worn red ties. At the end of the day, if it looks good with your overall outfit, you've no cause for worry. Typically, I wear a charcoal suit with light blue shirt and a deep, dark red tie with mild light blue patterns -- something along these lines.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by k4lnamja
Ive always been told that red ties are too powerful and should never be worn when at an interview or at work.

Is this true? I work in corp finance here in LA and I found this nice red gren but could I wear this at work?

Also, what would I wear it with? I was thinking of white shirt and black trousers but that seems a little boring.

Thank you

Cheers

Not true. I see them worn daily, and wear them a lot myself.

Doc4

Reaction score
There's red and then there's red.

If it's that bright scarlet red that really stands out, maybe it's going to be a bit off-putting and best saved for when you either wear a vest or want to make a statement. A nice crimson, however, will tend to work much better.

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the replies. I have red ties with suttle patterns/dots but I was talking about a red without anything.

Here is a picture of the tie I am thinking of purchasing. Is this too "much"?

Cheers

1643.jpg

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Doc4
There's red and then there's red.

If it's that bright scarlet red that really stands out, maybe it's going to be a bit off-putting and best saved for when you either wear a vest or want to make a statement. A nice crimson, however, will tend to work much better.

I prefer darker shades of red, too.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
Depends. How much can said tie bench? Would it have your back if it came to fisticuffs? Does it have your ATM pin number? Does it vote? If so, then yes. Red tie is way too poweful. I suggest a revolt.

bmac11c

Reaction score
This is a tricky question to say the least. I am currently going through interviews (as the interviewer). The first thing I look at are shoes! Are they well kept? If they're old, do they take care of them? I think this speaks volumes.

THEN I look at the tie. Not so much the color, but how it is tied. Is it sloppy and quickly put together or did they take their time. Are there stains on it?

After that, I look at how well kept their suit is. Is it sloppy and or wrinkled?

Lastly, I look at fingernails...are they well groomed, clipped and clean.

All this is done from the very beginning to the very end of the of the interview. Keep in mind, not everyone will look for the same things that I do. If I can give you one piece of advice, keep your suit neat and pressed (Do not drive with your coat on), if you have scuffs on your shoes, put a little kiwi on them and DO NOT SMOKE before an interview if you're a smoker. Wait until you're done.

Bmac

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bmac11c
This is a tricky question to say the least. I am currently going through interviews (as the interviewer). The first thing I look at are shoes! Are they well kept? If they're old, do they take care of them? I think this speaks volumes.

THEN I look at the tie. Not so much the color, but how it is tied. Is it sloppy and quickly put together or did they take their time. Are there stains on it?

After that, I look at how well kept their suit is. Is it sloppy and or wrinkled?

Lastly, I look at fingernails...are they well groomed, clipped and clean.

All this is done from the very beginning to the very end of the of the interview. Keep in mind, not everyone will look for the same things that I do. If I can give you one piece of advice, keep your suit neat and pressed (Do not drive with your coat on), if you have scuffs on your shoes, put a little kiwi on them and DO NOT SMOKE before an interview if you're a smoker. Wait until you're done.

Bmac

Thanks for the info, Bmac. I'm not interviewing but I've done everything you recommended when I do. I also look for the same "criteria" when interviewing others too. AND I cannot stand the smoke smell.

Cheers

bmac11c

Reaction score
Oops! I thought this was in reference to a job interview. Sorry about that! LOL...I think the tie you picked out is perfectly fine for work.

Bmac

Originally Posted by k4lnamja
Thanks for the info, Bmac. I'm not interviewing but I've done everything you recommended when I do. I also look for the same "criteria" when interviewing others too. AND I cannot stand the smoke smell.

Cheers

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it definitely makes a bold statement, sometimes too bold under the circumstances and depending on one's environment could be too much. Tread lightly if it's a bright red tie

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bmac11c
Oops! I thought this was in reference to a job interview. Sorry about that! LOL...I think the tie you picked out is perfectly fine for work.

Bmac

smile.gif
No worries

Originally Posted by uhurit
it definitely makes a bold statement, sometimes too bold under the circumstances and depending on one's environment could be too much. Tread lightly if it's a bright red tie

So, you're saying the tie I displayed is too bright? I . . . sort of think so as well. Bah

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ The question is if you are going to stand out like a sore thumb wearing it...and if it's an effect you desire to achieve in your specific environment? Only you could answer that question

DStew

Reaction score
There is a weird set of the population that REALLY believes red = power. I work with a couple people that believe everytime they wear red they completely dominate everyone around them.

I wouldnt give them much thought. If it works with your outfit go with it. I frequently wear a wine/dark red tie with a light blue shirt and a navy/charcoal suit.

yeungjai

Reaction score
^ That's an interesting thing to say, because there have actually been studies done and there's evidence supporting the claim that red is perceived to be a powerful color...hence their frequent use amongst bankers and lawyers (in the area I work in, at least)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads