• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Stitching on Lapel. What brand?

rebel222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know if anyone watches that show "Dirty Sexy Money," but the family is supposed to be an exclusive NY family. Anyways, the dad always has a red stitching on his lapel. It is not the buttonhole stitching, which always matches the suit color. This stitching look like a button hole, but it extends to the edge of the lapel. I have attached the only images Google Images found of it. It doesn't matter what suit he wears, it always has this "signature" stitch. Anyone know anything about it?
dsm1.jpg
donsutherlad.jpg

DandySF

Reaction score
The red stitching signifies membership in the the French LÃ
00a9.png
gion d'Honneur. For everyday use, chevaliers and officiers wear a special hue of deep red thread sewn in a thin stripe from the buttonhole to the outer edge of the lapel (NYT).

rebel222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DandySF
The red stitching signifies membership in the the French LÃ
00a9.png
gion d'Honneur. For everyday use, chevaliers and officiers wear a special hue of deep red thread sewn in a thin stripe from the buttonhole to the outer edge of the lapel (NYT).

Wow. I told my wife that someone on here would the answer.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
In terms of fashion brands, Valentino Garavani also sometimes puts his "Rossa Valentino" (a dark red that, apparently, he has patented or rights to... as that's the official name of the color) as lining or piping on garments. I have some jackets and items and such with small accents in that color.

Nevertheless, DandySF's answer sounds more correct for Donald sutherland, I just thought I'd add this other tidbit in case you see it on others who definitely AREN'T LÃ
00a9.png
gion d’Honneur.

zarathustra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wished i could figure out where Trip's ties are from.

Corinthian

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
In terms of fashion brands, Valentino Garavani also sometimes puts his "Rossa Valentino" (a dark red that, apparently, he has patented or rights to... as that's the official name of the color) as lining or piping on garments. I have some jackets and items and such with small accents in that color.

Nevertheless, DandySF's answer sounds more correct for Donald sutherland, I just thought I'd add this other tidbit in case you see it on others who definitely AREN'T LÃ
00a9.png
gion d'Honneur.

As a matter of interest, according to the wikipedia article Valentino Garvani received the LÃ
00a9.png
gion d'honneur in July 2006.

BdeRWest

Reaction score
Also as a matter of interest, Courtney B. Vance's character on "Law and Order: Criminal Intent" would often wear suits with what appeared to be a red lapel **** below or in place of the lapel **** on the suits, which I always thought was just a signature of Vance's or his character's supposed tailor (although that'd be a pretty deep storyline for an assistant district attorney on a show). I wonder if Vance (or his character) was in the LÃ
00a9.png
gion d'Honneur.

Maybe, though, Valentino Garavani made his suits.

ask_bassett.jpg

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ that's who I thought of when I saw the title of this thread.

X-Calibre

Reaction score
All I can think of now is Angela Basset.

Liberty Ship

Reaction score
Interestingly, Donald Sutherland wears the device on a double breasted suit in "The Puppet Masters," too.

axe

Reaction score
The French, however, are very serious about their Legion of Honor. It took some back-room diplomacy for Donald Sutherland to wear a legion lapel pin on the ABC show “Dirty Sexy Money,” where he plays a former American ambassador to France. “His character was permitted to wear this as a huge concession by the French Consulate in New York and their embassy in Washington,” a spokesman for the actor said in an e-mail message. “He plays his character to honor that honor.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/11/fa...chevalier.html

itsallinurhead

Reaction score
I think it is a cool stylistic touch, but fear that anyone else who did it would be a huge poser.

TonyRush

Reaction score
This is an older thread but I found it through Google after noticing that Tim Roth's character on FOX's Lie To Me is seen in Season 1 and 2 occasionally wearing a sportsjacket with red stitching around the lapel hole. Here's a screenshot: http://screencast.com/t/gdffCdBU Might be a long shot but I thought I'd ask if anyone knows what brand jacket that is? Thanks in advance, Tony

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads