• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red sole bucks

Morgan

Reaction score
If you're looking for classic pair to just kick around in, I like Johnston & Murphy.
Examples: White, Dirty, Saddle .
They're a seasonal item. I know the Alden shop in Washington DC has gotten special orders in the past - the ones I saw were all-white saddles on the Barrie last with a red rubber sole. Classic seersucker footwear.

TheDroog

Reaction score
Look at Brooks Brothers, Johnston & Murphy, and J. Crew among others. If they don't have them on their sites now, they will by the time spring and summer roll around.

Edit: Also sold by LL Bean and Lands End.

Lostinthesupermarket

Reaction score
Yuketen.

Alden on the modified last are also nice if the fit works for you and you can get your hands on them.

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sand colored suede, preferably.

Is the Bass buck a reasonable low price alternative, since bucks are more or less low price to begin with? (Like has been said, Martin and Osa has them.)

Does Billy Reid always have a pair in the spring/summer?

Is Yukaten going to have bucks for spring/summer? I've fallen in love with metal eyelets- Yuketen was the only buck I've seen that has them. Not on their web site, though it was in Inventory a while back.

The Sanders buck is out of stock, mostly, at Oi Polloi, and it was merely ok.

The British companies don't really do bucks, I gather. Must be an Americanism. Unfortunately, Alden's bucks are ugly. Brooks Brothers will have them again, shortly, I'm sure, but I'm not sure I'm attracted to them. Ralph Lauren didn't have them last year, so maybe this year they will- it's been said that a dirty buck is the idealized RL Polo shoe.

My ideal right now seems to be a sandy colored dirty buck made by Trickers- which doesn't exist, may never have existed, and may never exist.

Lostinthesupermarket

Reaction score
Yuketen do them every year. They even had a buck boot for F/W this year.

I agree with you about regular Alden bucks, but on the modified last they look completely different. It's a pretty non-traditional last shape for a buck, though.

I thought The Bureau were selling a buck from Tricker's last S/S? I have a vague memory of seeing it on their site.

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lostinthesupermarket
Yuketen do them every year. They even had a buck boot for F/W this year.

I agree with you about regular Alden bucks, but on the modified last they look completely different. It's a pretty non-traditional last shape for a buck, though.

I thought The Bureau were selling a buck from Tricker's last S/S? I have a vague memory of seeing it on their site.

too bad yuketen are impossible to find

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lostinthesupermarket
I think my issue with Alden bucks is the near whole piece body- I just don't like bluchers with the really small "piece with no name that goes around the eyelets". It's as if they were trying hard to be balmorals, but needed the tiny wings to be called bluchers. Personal preference, but not one that has to do with the shape of the last.

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, and now it appears that Mark McNairy shoe line should be watched, as in the capsule photos that chestercopperpot took there are shoes that get dangerously close to what I'm looking for.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
RL almost always has a version out each spring. These were from a few years ago.

ashoe.jpg

Fiddy

Reaction score
+1 on the Yuks. Their Dirty Bucks are drop dead gorgeous...

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
RL almost always has a version out each spring. These were from a few years ago.

ashoe.jpg

I saw these last year and wanted a pair. There were some pretty decent sales on them too but I just checked and cannot find them now. They look really nice but I was not sure who made them.

OP, These are not what you are looking for but you may like something like this as well.

tlw1.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads