• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 5: Good Art HLYWD rosette courtesy of Self Edge

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 5th auction is for a custom Good Art HLYWD bracelet courtesy of Self Edge. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Red Moon wallets

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
wouldn't really call that "cheap" though

DBoon

Reaction score
I've never owned a japanese wallet like that so I can't say that the craftsmanship is extraordinary or not, but even a medicore leatherworker can make a veggie wallet that will last you at least 2 years for like 20 bucks.

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
Do you have any insight regarding the first three being $200 or more cheaper than the rest? I must be missing something obvious but it is early. RedMoon was my girlfriends inspiration for working with leather and she has made some great stuff. I might buy her one of the $79 models so she can learn more about the construction. So far, she has learned everything she knows off the PYC: Leather thread on SuFu and the Billy Kirk website/checking out his stuff at Blackbird.

*just realized their use of the word 'kid' probably means children not the age of the animal the leather comes from. I told you it was early out here!

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DBoon
I've never owned a japanese wallet like that so I can't say that the craftsmanship is extraordinary or not, but even a medicore leatherworker can make a veggie wallet that will last you at least 2 years for like 20 bucks.

This is true. We actually got out of Tandy with leather and all the needed tools for about $50. I know there is a level of expertise, likely better materials and definately better equipment used but the prices are hard to justify. $150 or so seems reasonable for the high-end after doing a bit of research.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
the kids ones are barely big enough to fit a credit card and to put bills in it you have to fold your bills and stick em in a side pocket. the leather's really high quality and if i'm not mistaken they're sewn with some animal's sinew, although i might be mistaking it with flathead wallets. if you feel like it costs too much you can always by knockoffs from corter. http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=18578 and you guys might want to do a quick search next time.

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
and you guys might want to do a quick search next time.

In light of recent developments, Cultizm, this thread has merit. Futhermore, we obviously didn't want to do a search or we wouldn't be posting in this thread. Chastising us for not necro-ing a thread from 2006 is ridiculous.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
how ridiculously hard is it to typed red moon in the search box and click on the first thread that comes up and write about cultizm there. it's not even new news.

Brutus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by upnorth
I just bought a poor man's "red moon" for under $20.

Time's like this calls for some belt tightening.

You just wasted $15.16...and if you started spending then we wouldn't be in a recession.

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brutus
You just wasted $15.16...and if you started spending then we wouldn't be in a recession.

Well, if I wanted to help the economy, I would probably get something made in USA from a US store. (Not a japanese wallet from Germany)

By the way, I don't think I wasted $15.16. It makes a good beater wallet and if anything, the leather is pretty decent for the price. To each his own I guess.

Brutus

Reaction score
I wasn't saying you should spend $300 on a RedMoon...I like them but not enough to hurt my back and put a hole in my pocket. Of course, if I did that then I could pour some money into the American economy with medical bills and tailor work.

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a Corter wallet which is a very similar design to the Redmoon wallets. I too had fears about back pain and such but it hasn't been anything less than delightful. Also, Corter makes awesome stuff at about half the price of Redmoon. I am about to comission my second wallet from him. I am thinking of using a different wallet with each of my project jeans and since I'll be adding another project jean to my collection I figure adding another wallet is appropriate.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 28 3.6%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 137 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 257 32.6%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 124 15.7%
  • 31 - 40