• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red chambray shirt

WalterSobchak

Reaction score
I posted a thread a while back in MC, didn't find a solution yet, but more people in this section would probably know in which direction to point me. Does anyone make a decent red chambray shirt in larger sizes? I wear a 2XL in Filson, Woolrich, and Pendleton shirts. I have a 49" chest, 19" neck, and ideally wear a 37.5" sleeve length. So, if anyone makes a good shirt in 2XL (3XL if it runs small, or possibly more X's than a snuff film for some of the Japanese brands), or if there are any MTM makers that specialize in workwear, let me know. Please don't suggest that I just wear an XL, I can't do that. I know Levi's used to make one that might be re-manufactured next year, though I've never tried on a Levi's shirt to see how they fit. Thanks in advance.

WalterSobchak

Reaction score
I did, but a 50.5" shirt chest measurement would be extremely tight on me, so Iron Heart's XXXL is much smaller than even a standard XL. That's why I'd likely need a 5X-6X in Japanese sizing. Not to mention it would shrink substantially after the first wash.

kiya

Brand Representative
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

I did, but a 50.5" shirt chest measurement would be extremely tight on me, so Iron Heart's XXXL is much smaller than even a standard XL. That's why I'd likely need a 5X-6X in Japanese sizing. Not to mention it would shrink substantially after the first wash.

In all honesty, an IH shirt in the past year or so only runs one size smaller than an average shirt from America or Europe. No idea how you're equating a X-Large shirt with a XXX-Large shirt, let alone even talking about a 6XL shirt.

WalterSobchak

Reaction score
American XXL shirts are made to accommodate people with at least a 50" chest. This means that the chest measurement of the garment must be at least several inches larger than this to be wearable. Perhaps Iron Heart really does run a size smaller than European shirts, which are themselves much smaller than American ones. My XXL Filson shirt has a 59.5" chest measurement, and my XXL Woolrich shirts have a 57.5" chest. Carhartt is somewhere in that ballpark as well. For comparison, XL Filsons have 55.5" chests, and Larges have 51.5". Granted, Filson does tend to run big, but ~50" chest is nowhere near what American workwear brands would use for any XL shirt, let alone a 2XL Where am I getting 6XL from? Extrapolating from Iron Heart's size charts, where it seems to be about an additional 2" per X, I'd want a theoretical XXXXXX-Large from them for a 56" chest measurement, which is big enough to be comfortable for a workshirt. Perhaps even more I expected significant shrinkage. I'm not knocking the quality of Iron Heart, but it's clearly not for me, as their website states that they will probably never make a shirt larger than XXX-Large. Anyway, I appreciate your responses, and would be interested if you have knowledge of other manufacturers that do produce other sizes.

Rincon

Reaction score
Epaulet was selling one on sale recently... I ordered the white... they run very small though.

WalterSobchak

Reaction score
Yeah, they are quite small, an XXL with a 46" chest and 17.5" neck is completely unwearable. I don't know why an American made shirt would be so small as to not be a matter of slim fitting or not, but not to conform at all to our usual size conventions. Does anyone do custom workwear? It would be worth considering.

WalterSobchak

Reaction score
I did try looking extensively through google, also check ebay, and most well known national stores, as well as workwear manufacturers and retailers. I'm sure I must have missed something that should be an obvious place to search, though. I did see the JACS there, but from checking the measurements of other shirts made by them, as posted by some eBay sellers, they apparently also run extremely small, similar to Epaulet. I guess I don't understand why almost every brand doesn't produce items for larger people when, among people who do actual physical work, around 10% are my size or larger, from my observations. That does seem like a significant chunk of the market to be losing. I can understand this being done by Japanese brands where they might not have been designed with westerners in mind, but otherwise it makes little sense. I did find threads here from years ago regarding custom workshirts, but nothing current.

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Then it's probably not meant to be unfortunately. People who wear XXL and larger clothes are rarely into looking fashionable, and workwear, as we see it here, has long been a fashion item and not something truly designed for work. I'm sure you can find a blue chambray shirt from some true workwear company in a size that will work. The red chambray is much more a fashion piece than an actual workwear piece however and that is probably why you aren't finding any. It's just the way it is. I used to be a XXL a couple years ago, there were hardly any good quality clothes I could find in my size back then, maybe one or two of the companies discussed here on SF made things that would fit me. These days I'm usually a medium or a large and the options are infinitely better.

WalterSobchak

Reaction score
Sounds about right, blue ones are much easier to find. I have one from Woolrich that I like and fits well. Filson makes some as well, as does Carhartt. I doubt if I'll ever be much smaller than what I am now, since I'm already in decent shape, then I guess I need to try harder to find custom makers if I want anything different.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads