• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red and white striped shirt, ideas?

tokyodandy

Reaction score
In a fit of absent-mindedness I chose a rather aggressive colour for one of last month's batch of order shirts. It's a strong red with a white stripe - or one could say white with red as although the red stripes are thicker there's not that much in it (apologies for poor quality pic).

zwnxv9.jpg

Belatedly I am feeling that this might be something of a challenge to wear, so I'm am thinking of restraining it with a charcoal suit and a dark blue tie. Does anybody else wear something similar?

TD

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pow!

Love it.

I have something similar.

Try a dotted tie in complementary colors.

tokyodandy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mack11211
Pow!
Love it.
I have something similar.

Dots eh... Blue? Purple perhaps?

Marcus Brody

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tokyodandy
Dots eh... Blue? Purple perhaps?

I would be careful with the size of the dots if you wear blue. With pin dots it might look nice. With polka dots, you'll look like an American flag. I do think blue would look nice with it though if done correctly.

Tumbleweed

Reaction score
I have something along those lines. Brace yourself for lots of barbershop quartet comments.

Which of course doesn't stop me from wearing it, just ready the steely glare.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You could do it like this...

DSC06794.jpg

southbound35

Reaction score
Belatedly I am feeling that this might be something of a challenge to wear, so I'm am thinking of restraining it with a charcoal suit and a dark blue tie. Does anybody else wear something similar?

Originally Posted by mack11211

I think you're right with the restraint thought. I've got a very similar pattern in navy and have a reddish dotted tie that looks quite nice with it. I'm guessing the opposite would be true as well (red shirt/blue tie). Solids (grenadine or knit) would likely look great as well.

I also like that pattern under a solid v-neck or crewneck sweater. Creates some visual interest without being too "out there".

tokyodandy

Reaction score
In a fit of absent-mindedness I chose a rather aggressive colour for one of last month's batch of order shirts. It's a strong red with a white stripe - or one could say white with red as although the red stripes are thicker there's not that much in it (apologies for poor quality pic).

Neglected to say that this will have white collar and cuffs. Shy and retiring is not going to be the impression...
Thanks for the suggestions, will mull it over.

TD

tokyodandy

Reaction score

Completed article. I like it. Apologies for not taking a more aesthetically pleasing photo, but it's been a long day...

TD

2ldjeh4.jpg

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Completed article. I like it. Apologies for not taking a more aesthetically pleasing photo, but it's been a long day... TD
2ldjeh4.jpg

That's a nice color. I think I wouldve gotten self collar and cuffs. Navy with red or red and white neat design, maybe even a paisley. Also black with white neat design or dots. I could see black and grey striped ties too.

tokyodandy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
That's a nice color. I think I wouldve gotten self collar and cuffs. Navy with red or red and white neat design, maybe even a paisley. Also black with white neat design or dots. I could see black and grey striped ties too.
I'm thinking about black/grey diagonal stripes but am undecided as it's a very high contrast colour scheme. So is red and white, but it matches my pinko-grey complexion far better than stark black/white. We will see...

TD

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads