1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Recs for NYC steakhouse

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by ghulkhan, Nov 1, 2008.

1. ghulkhan

ghulkhan Senior member

anything but lugers....

2. DNW

DNW Senior member

Ben & Jack's? Started by a couple of Luger's waiters. Supposedly very good. I want to give it a try.

3. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Senior member

Keen's steaks are not the absolute best, but they're good, and I think the place has infinitely more character than the usual faux-clubby or stark modernist joints.

4. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

BLT Steak. Craftsteak.

5. ccc123

ccc123 Senior member

Gallagher's! - no posers very good a personal favorite

Ben and Jacks has slipped! service is horrible and the steak sand side are just so so!

Craft = VVG

BLT = 3 times they can't cook black and blue, so I don't like them!

I wish the Pen and Pencil was still around - they got it right every time!

Shula's is hit or mis

Sparks - is consistent

The Bull and Bear is often overlooked, but also very good.

6. Spatlese

Spatlese Senior member

How about Rothmann's?

7. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Senior member

8. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

I like Sparks.

NYC has some really stupid names for steakhouses. Knowing Manton's tastes, I am sure BLT and Craftsteak are great, but if I were to look at a list of names, those would not sound appetizing.

9. Orange

Orange Senior member

I've been everywhere listed. And for that level you have quality meats, which wasn't mentioned and Wolfgang's (another lugar's copy but better than ben & jacks)

My personal favorite is still Palm (not palm too). They always get it right in new york. Stick to the new york strip.

10. Manton

I like Sparks.

NYC has some really stupid names for steakhouses. Knowing Manton's tastes, I am sure BLT and Craftsteak are great, but if I were to look at a list of names, those would not sound appetizing.

BLT stands for Bistro Laurent Tourneau, or whatever his name is. It is really excellent. The full name is actually BLT Steak. There is a BLT Fish which got three stars from the NYT. There maybe other BLTs, I can't remember and I have not been.

Craftsteak is the offshoot of the original Craft, which is a great restaurant. They call it Craftsteak because ... it focuses on steak.

11. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

I went to Sparks once many moons ago for the wine list-- and found that it was much better than the actual meal.

Smith & Wollensky's up on 49th and 3rd or so was always pretty reliable, although they took the French wines off the carte post 9/11 and have been opening branches everywhere. So that might no longer be a useful place.

12. Manton

I went to Sparks once many moons ago for the wine list-- and found that it was much better than the actual meal.

Smith & Wollensky's up on 49th and 3rd or so was always pretty reliable, although they took the French wines off the carte post 9/11 and have been opening branches everywhere. So that might no longer be a useful place.

The Sparks list still has some really good deals.

As to S&W, I did not know that, and [​IMG]@ them.

13. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Striphouse

a massive +1

BLT Prime is IMO far far superior to BLT Steak

Crafsteak is awesome for everything, but the steaks

14. mrtimt12

mrtimt12 Member

+1 on Keens - really good steak but definitely old school on decor.

15. chobochobo

chobochobo Senior member Moderator

I enjoyed my meal at Smiths. The carrot cake was great too.

16. Bohdathone

Bohdathone Senior member

The Old Homestead was pretty good too...

17. fcuknu

fcuknu Senior member

A quick list....

Rothmans - One of the best in Manhattan, they do not get enough credit. There isnt as much charm to the place like the palm or old homestead, but they just never get it wrong. Best bone-in ribeye in the city. At least you can smoke outside too. 9/10

Bobby Vans - Great steaks, great sides, real old school menu, the way it should be, great wine list. Always the best cuts. 8.5/10

Old Homestead - The original in Gotham. Lots of charm here, old school menu, great cuts, there is just something missing for me though. They do have the $40 burger tho... 8/10

Wolfgangs - Peter Luger in New York, but not quite as good. They char a little bit too much for my tastes 7.5/10

The Palm - There are about a million of them, 3 in the city alone. Eat at the original if you are going to go to any (even the palm too is accaptable to me, but dont go to the one on the dity west side, there is no charm at that one). The meat is good, the sides are good, the lobster is good, but its nothing amazing. 7/10

Smith and Wollensky - I live right around the corner from this place, and I have been here twice, that should say enough. Not much charm, the food is good, but its nothing amazing. When your in walking distance of about 5 other top notch steakhouse, its hard to show up here 6/10

Mortons - Eh, its good, but come on. Ive actually had some fantastic steaks here, but being in Manhattan, and eating at an international chain just hurts for some reason. At least the palm and s/w started in NY. There is ZERO charm here. 5.5/10

Uncle Jacks Steakhouse - Easily the worst steakhouse Ive been to in my life Black on the outside, blue on the inside. Everything was just bad, from the steak sauce on down. Never, ever, ever eat here. 2/10

And remember kids, real men eat Bone-in Ribeyes. That is by FAR the best cut of meat. A fillet may be tender, but there is no flavor.

Post.Script - Who no lugers?

18. samblau

samblau Senior member

As an unemployed young person potentially resorting to unemployment I can see no better way to spend my time than discussing NYC steakhouses.

I will mention a few I did not see here:

Mark Joseph - Pecks Slip downtown - Another Luger clone, great in every way. Service was good, steaks done right and an awesome blueberry crumb when I went.

Del Frisco's - Midtown - Have enjoyed all of my meals there, very satisfied, although expensive even by NYC steakhouse standards.

Frankie and Johnnie's - a few locations - Have not been myself, but my parents who are chronic complainers liked it.

Maloney & Porcelli - Midtown - I love this lace for the $75 all you can drink wine dinner. Food and service very good.

Only place I would never return too is Old Homestead. Sparks is reliable but apparently does not care about return business, never had god service there. Ben Bensons was solid. Gallaghers was better than expected but have not been in years. Smith & Wollensky is a good stand-by. Mortons is the same in every city, a notch below if you ask me however they run some pretty good specials if you are on theirm mailing list i.e. dinner for 2 for $99.

19. fcuknu

fcuknu Senior member

hahah Im a student who is pretttyyy poor at times. There is nothing more I love than going to Rothmans and dropping 1/2 of my bank account on dinner with two weeks till my next check

20. suited

suited Senior member

Went to Sparks once. Honestly, I've had better steaks at outback. I hope my experience isn't the norm.