1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

recs for good gloves for lifting weights

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by guest, Jun 1, 2011.

1. guest

guest Senior member

i've had 2 pair of nike throughout the years. lost them eventually. should i buy nike again? my last pair had no wrist support which was cool. more comfy actually. is harbinger a better brand? just did a quick google. http://www.amazon.com/Harbinger-143-...f=cm_lmf_tit_1

2. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Senior member

I don't use gloves, but Harbinger products are generally OK.

3. mmadha

mmadha Senior member

Are you a hand model? If not then strengthen your grip and toughen up by not using gloves.

4. jarude

jarude Senior member

Are you a hand model? If not then strengthen your grip and toughen up by not using gloves.

+1

chalk or straps if you need it

nothing screams "broseur" like gloves

5. HgaleK

HgaleK Senior member

Chicks dig calluses. It's why I masturbate with chalk.

6. Kas

Kas Senior member

Make sure the color matches your purse.

7. Mr Sola

Mr Sola Senior member

I used to subscribe to the whole "gloves are for pussies" thing until my hands looked like this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Pennglock

Pennglock Senior member

I used to subscribe to the whole "gloves are for pussies" thing until my hands looked like this:

And this kiddies is why we don't recommend high-rep snatches for time.

9. Jsoftz

Jsoftz Senior member

At least on my end it wouldn't be sarcasm. Looks like someone used Mark Rippetoe's joke from Starting Strength about the purse-matching already.. tears happen as evidenced by the picture sometimes but oh well.

I feel my grip strength is one of my weak points so I definitely don't use gloves. I don't use straps either but if I was going for maximal lifts I'd use the seat belt style ones. In addition to the pussy-factor (which sounds like a good thing but in this case isn't), don't gloves just straight up increase the circumference of the bar, thus making the lift more difficult? This reason alone would be enough to keep me from using gloves.

10. HgaleK

HgaleK Senior member

Your palms are soft. It suggests that you didn't have decent calluses at first. That said, I've had my calluses torn off after doing too much KB work. It's not fun.

11. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Harbinger make good gloves, those with the leather palms/grips.

12. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

You're gripping the bar wrong. Hold the bar in your fingers, not your palms, and you'd have been fine.

13. rjmaiorano

rjmaiorano Senior member

No gloves. I don't see anyone lifting heavy with gloves usually. Chalk and straps sure, but no gloves.

14. Monaco

Monaco Senior member

I've lost several pairs of gloves and don't use them now, and callous are not attractive.

15. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

i like callouses. they're so functional when they harden up

16. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

+1

People should think of callouses like they do patina.

17. suited

suited Senior member

I use Harbinger. I tend to have issues with dry skin, and if I use chalk it dries my hands out like crazy. Within a few hours I'll have hangnails on every finger. I don't mind calluses at all, but hangnails drive me nuts.

Gloves > straps. Straps really kill your chances of improving your grip.

18. Kajak

Kajak Senior member

I use Harbinger. I tend to have issues with dry skin, and if I use chalk it dries my hands out like crazy. Within a few hours I'll have hangnails on every finger. I don't mind calluses at all, but hangnails drive me nuts.

Gloves > straps. Straps really kill your chances of improving your grip.

Gloves just add a layer that can squish around. Straps used only on the heaviest sets make it so your grip doesn't prevent you from working the rest of your body.

I've lost several pairs of gloves and don't use them now, and callous are not attractive.

On a girl maybe, and I'd argue that it doesn't matter. On a man, it shows you're not useless.

19. suited

suited Senior member

Gloves just add a layer that can squish around. Straps used only on the heaviest sets make it so your grip doesn't prevent you from working the rest of your body.

If you stop using straps and train your grip with actual grip work (not just deadlifts), you won't need the straps too much longer. This is coming from a guy who used to use straps.

20. guest

guest Senior member

i even have someone carry my gym bag and take the elevator for 2 flights of stairs. i am lazy fo sho! but thanks about the info bout the brand. had someone buy one just now.