• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recruiting for Big 4 firms?

artfuldodger23

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I was curious on how big 4 accounting firms recruiting works for people that aren't enrolled in a special integrated 5 year Bachelors & Masters program where one can get a bachelors and masters in accounting within 5 years and then be able to sit for the CPA exam their 5th year.

I am currently not in such a program and I am doing the traditional 4 year Bachelors of Business Administration route so I was wondering how recruiting works for people doing the traditional route. Is it the same or is it much different? Would I have to be CPA eligible first or no?

Thanks

Last edited:

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you're going into audit, you'll need to be CPA eligible by the time you start. If not, then it'll be really difficult to get in unless you have prior audit experience.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
OP, What grade are you in? and why are you doing business administration if you intend on joining a big 4?

from personal experience, I think you may look better to recruiter if you fit either one:

• accounting major
  • economics major w/ accounting courses
  • quantitative background w/ accounting courses

business administration isnt bad but youre going to need some other qualities or experiences to supplement that degree in order to stand out

edit - Big 4 wants you to thrive and prosper in their system which invariably means, pass the CPA so you can move up in the chain. Studying for the exam itself while working usually is a huge pain especially once you get settled in with a hectic work schedule and travel. Ideally, you'll want to join a Big 4 CPA exam eligible so youre life can continue to suck while you spend the 12 - 30 months studying for the exams.

Last edited:

artfuldodger23

Reaction score
To everyone who asked about my degree. I WILL be getting a degree in Accounting. My major isn't business administration. Our school just labels it as a getting a BBA in Accounting as the degree. I am majoring in Accounting and will be receiving a degree in Accounting.

@Namor: I just started my third year

ballmouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get at least one auditing internship between now and the start of senior year (end of junior year summer). And depending on your grades or school, you might want to talk/network with employees from Big 4 companies (alumni, friends of friends, cold email, etc.) so that you have a connection come recruiting time who can potentially make landing an interview much, much easier.

I'm not an accountant, so the above advice is based off consulting/finance experience. But the few accounting people I know seemed to have followed the same path as consultants/financial services employees I know, so I believe it's pretty applicable.

And as far as I know, accountants can be hired during their senior year of college and defer the start date until after receiving their Masters degrees over the summer after graduation. This is what my roommate did, but I am not sure if that is a special hiring process with his college.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

And as far as I know, accountants can be hired during their senior year of college and defer the start date until after receiving their Masters degrees over the summer after graduation. This is what my roommate did, but I am not sure if that is a special hiring process with his college.

This is pretty standard across all the colleges and offices of big 4 firms. They just ask when are you graduating and when will you be CPA eligible. You just tell them I'm graduating 2013 but will be CPA eligible in 2014 and they just mark your start date down in 2014. It's no big deal. If you don't plan on being CPA eligible when you start you better have a plan in place to be eligible. If not your resume gets thrown away.

genteroffer

Reaction score
great.This is what my roommate did, but I am not sure if that is a special hiring process with his college.
4.gif

Last edited:

Marshmallow

Reaction score
My son attended a 4 year school and majored in accounting. His school did not have a 5th year masters program. What he, and all of the other accounting students did was to cram extra credits into their 4 years at college. My son had AP credits from high school that were accepted by his college. He got additional credits by attending summer school, taking distance learning classes (from a regionally accredited school - LSU), and getting credit for CLEP exams passed (his college gave him credit). He graduated with the requisite 150 credits. He was recruited by a big4 that interviewed at his school. He did an internship there between his junior and senior year at college and received an offer after his internship.

My son received a bonus for starting his job with 150 credits and another bonus for passing the CPA exam within his first year of employment. Although I think that accounting is a wonderful career my son found that auditing was not for him. After a year spent in public accounting, my son will be moving on to a job in finance.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads