• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recreating the iconic North by Northwest suit

Reaction score
I have recently commissioned my tailor to recreate the iconic North by Northwest suit worn by Cary Grant. The styling details I have used are as follows:

Jacket

Lapels - Normal size notch lapels

Closing Buttons - 3-roll-2

Cuff buttons - 3

Pockets - Straight jet pockets (no ticket pocket)

Vents - None

Trousers

Waistband - Side adjusters

Pockets - Slanted

Hip pockets - One back right jetted (no button)

Pleats - 4 x forward

Turnups - 5cm

I have found a Holland and Sherry blue/grey glen plaid check cloth and have opted for a sky blue lining and smoke MOP buttons, picture attached.
6d36af5c-0e47-4287-abe4-68053149db8c.jpeg

Thoughts welcomed!

aristoi bcn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The cloth in the suit looks darker, more a RAF blue no?

Something like this:

s-l1600.jpg

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My guess is that I am the only SF member who remembers the shot of Martin Landau's
three eyelet derbies. Is a shoe shot particularly Hitchcockian? Recalling such details may
be a hint as to why I regularly consult SF.

Reaction score
The cloth in the suit looks darker, more a RAF blue no?

Something like this:

s-l1600.jpg
Depends on the lighting in the film sometimes looks darker, sometimes looks lighter. The cloth I am using looks grey in some lights so I am happy to go with it for this suit. Another pic below.
AE7-DDCCF-447-D-47-EF-ADF9-658-F2616-E165.png

Last edited:

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The London Lounge did a special commission recreating this suiting quite a few years ago. It was a major project involving hunting down the tailors who allegedly (there was quite a debate including discounting the Kilgour theory) made the suit.

rob

Reaction score
Boy in dark blue shirt sitting at the table behind Eva Marie Saint. See what he does a few seconds before the gun shot

My guess: Not a first take.

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My guess is that I am the only SF member who remembers the shot of Martin Landau's
three eyelet derbies. Is a shoe shot particularly Hitchcockian? Recalling such details may
be a hint as to why I regularly consult SF.

If I'm not mistaken Cary Grant is wearing burgundy derbies (with a suit!) when he has to appear in traffic court.

It is odd what sort of details stick in your mind once you go looking for them. For some reason I remember James Mason's jacket in the auction scene having three button surgeon cuffs. There's a closeup of it where he is rubbing EMS's neck.

vida

Reaction score
Boy in dark blue shirt sitting at the table behind Eva Marie Saint. See what he does a few seconds before the gun shot

Why do you always have to throw off a discussion by interjecting some of your corn-ball wit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads