• Welcome to the Styleforum Approved contest! This is a contest where everyone wins: in fact, every participant will get a (highly coveted) “Styleforum approved” bracelet to flaunt to your oblivious friends. The only thing you have to do is show appreciation for a member of the forum or an affiliate vendor.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Recreating the iconic North by Northwest suit

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This is not a blue/grey cloth so would not look like the NBNW suit!
But it's not a bold visible pattern either, Have to choose which is visually closer to the NBNW suit

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there a copy of the suit somewhere? I mean, the actual one? It would be nice to see the true color.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So was it confirmed that Kilgour made the suit?

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So was it confirmed that Kilgour made the suit?
There were several suits made for the film which is often the case these days although I don’t know how common that was back in the fifties. That’s how CG looks so well put together despite his cross-country misadventures.
Popular wisdom has it that Kilgour made one of the suits. Others were made by Quintino in Beverly Hills and I think their label is visible briefly on screen in one shot. I’d guess Kilgour made the original and Hitch had them copied in CA. BTW it’s definitely glen check.
And whoever mentioned footwear, please don’t buy into that bollocks about ‘no derbies with a suit’. It’s personal preference but clearly there’s nothing wrong with wearing derbies with a suit. I have over twenty suits and not a single pair of oxfords.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hitchcock has said in interviews that Grant's suits were made by his own tailors because the wardrobe people could not make the suits look or fit as well.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"And whoever mentioned footwear, please don’t buy into that bollocks about ‘no derbies with a suit’. It’s personal preference but clearly there’s nothing wrong with wearing derbies with a suit. I have over twenty suits and not a single pair of oxfords."

I am with you except that I have many fewer suits.

Reaction score
Why did you pick a pattern with so much contrast and visible pattern
when a tone on tone muted plaid would be closer to the original effect?
Image from H & S website of how the fabric looks when made into a suit. I don't agree that the pattern has so much constrast and pattern unless viewed close up!

22c39762-657f-4230-b161-37de0ec01f32.jpg

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You realize that isn’t an actual photo of the cloth, right?

winston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's a closeup I found. There can be no debate over where it has a glen check pattern, although I'm not sure that the swatch in the book is a very close match. The level of contrast looks closer to the swatch in comment #4, although the shade is lighter than that one.

NXNWSleeve.png

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Forgive me but didn’t Cary Grant wear a 3 button rolled to 2 jacket?

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Face Masks: Pick Your Favorite (Choose 2)

• Disposable surgical mask

• White cotton mask

• Linen-lined mask

• "Sartorial" mask made of suiting fabric

• Patterned mask (checks, stripes, fun print, etc.)

• Solid color silk mask

• "Sartorial" mask made of tie fabric

• Sports mask made of synthetic fabric

• Denim mask

• Face shield

Results are only viewable after voting.