• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recreating faux holes on shortened jacket sleeve - possible?

Alfred001

Reaction score
If you have to shorten a jacket sleeve so much that the buttons have to be repositioned is it possible for a tailor to recreate the faux button holes, and if so is that expensive?

How expensive is it to add working button holes?

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you have to shorten a jacket sleeve so much that the buttons have to be repositioned is it possible for a tailor to recreate the faux button holes, and if so is that expensive?

How expensive is it to add working button holes?

I'm sure it isn't too hard, but why bother? They don't really look great.

Working button holes can be expensive ($200+), but the cuff has to be designed such that it can separate. Not all jackets are so equipped.

Alfred001

Reaction score
I'm sure it isn't too hard, but why bother? They don't really look great.
Working button holes can be expensive ($200+), but the cuff has to be designed such that it can separate. Not all jackets are so equipped.

I don't like the look of the buttons just sewn on.

Has anyone actually had this done?

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't like the look of the buttons just sewn on.

Has anyone actually had this done?

I have a navy suit like this, and I think it looks fine. I'm not sure how many makers do this.

Alfred001

Reaction score
C'mon someone's gotta know about this!

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, it can certainly be done. Most tailors should be able to do it as most modern sewing machines should be able to stitch a buttonhole shape.

Bear in mind that whilst having non-working (faux) buttonholes is not too hard, it's quite a bit more effort and expense to have working buttonholes and, as pointed out above, you need to have extra fabric in the cuff end of the sleeve so that the sleeve end can be opened up. A smaller number of alterations tailors would be prepared to do this, and not all would be able to do it well.

warrenjl1

Reaction score
First off, sorry to bump an old thread. I just took delivery of this linen jacket and am hoping you guys can help. It has the faux buttonholes, but I need them shortened. Wondering if it's going to show when they remove the faux holes. It's a really open weave linen. Pic:

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think they would leave less of a mark on such an open weave than on a tight worsted, but I may be wrong. It looks like that sleeve could be shortened a bit without moving the buttons though, how much do you need?

gambit50

Reaction score
Shortening 1.5?
You could give the distance form last button to hem but I would think it can't be much more than that.
In that case, you need to remove at least a button or two or move them. Cannot comment on how the fabric will look after removing the faux hole thread.

Macallan

Reaction score
Get the sleeve shortened from the shoulders, it will cost more but if you shorten it from the sleeve end, it will not look good because of the cloth.

By shortening it from the shoulders, the buttons and faux button-holes will be left alone.

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A solid 1.5" I think. Maybe they could just remove the first button all together and just leave three... Thanks for the reply.

If you need that much, then yep, just have one button removed. You could place it back on top but I think that would look off (too close to the end of the vent)

Shortening from the top is another alternative but will be more expensive.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads