• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Records / Vinyl versus CDs

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tagutcow
I'm not sure I fully understand what you're saying here. I know subtracting one channel from another is a common "voice cancellation" process, but from the way you describe it, I don't see how would you get different material out of the left speaker than the right.

You don't necessarily get different material, but what differences there are between channels are amplified.

Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
Well perhaps we can be diplomatic and say that I hear much more detail and musicality on my vinyl rig than my expensive CD/SACD player.

Fair enough.

--Andre

wiru

Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
LPs can sound great, and often better than their CD counterparts. But I wish audiophiles wouldn't try to make up bogus technical reasons why, and instead just enjoy their LPs.

But what would be left of audiophilia if you took away the bogus technical reasoning???

But seriously, it puzzles me too. Vinyl appeals to me because of its obvious imperfections. Their degradation over time, lack of any true silence, ability to be physically manipulated -- everything about records calls attention to the fact that you're listening to a recording. Audiophiles don't really seem to value these things too highly -- it's all about finding the "perfect" sound that transparently replicates live performance.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wiru
But seriously, it puzzles me too. Vinyl appeals to me because of its obvious imperfections. Their degradation over time, lack of any true silence, ability to be physically manipulated -- everything about records calls attention to the fact that you're listening to a recording. Audiophiles don't really seem to value these things too highly -- it's all about finding the "perfect" sound that transparently replicates live performance.

Seems like you have never heard a good table. Modern vinyl can be as silent as CD. Especially a Pallas or Classic pressing. Dead silent.

wiru

Reaction score
You're right, I don't own any newly pressed vinyl. All of mine is pre-invention of the CD.

However this was sort of my point -- that audiophiles seem to love vinyl but hate everything that makes it attractive. I enjoy the sonic patina. Silent vinyl seems... wrong :shrug:

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wiru
You're right, I don't own any newly pressed vinyl. All of mine is pre-invention of the CD. However this was sort of my point -- that audiophiles seem to love vinyl but hate everything that makes it attractive. I enjoy the sonic patina. Silent vinyl seems... wrong :shrug:
Actually I think audiophiles just tune out the snap, crackle and pop on older records. You listen past it to the get that musical analog warmth that sounds like the master tape. But we do appreciate a nice clean sounding dynamic LP like some of the new jazz reissues. The MusicMatters Blue Notes are as good as almost all the first pressings I have heard and they are much quieter and more affordable.

wiru

Reaction score
^^ btw, I didn't intend to imply an 'original pressing' snobbery. I'm not so serious about records so what I pick up is cheap and used. If I was going out of my way to hear a certain album on vinyl certainly I would buy a new pressing rather than something collectible/expensive

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics