• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Record shelving solutions

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I used to use these terrible industrial garage shelves for my albums. On a recent trek to Ikea with my fiance, I discovered these wonderful cube shelves. Nothing too special, and they work great for albums. I also found something similar at Pottery Barn. Anyway, I'm curious to see what others use to store theirs. Note: please excuse the ugly chairs - they have sentimental value (the only reason they weren't brought to the Salvation Army years ago)

Before:

13238rack2-1.jpg

13238rack1-1.jpg

After:

13238new-wall-1.jpg

13238rear-wall-room-1.jpg

I'm still utilizing two of the metal shelves 'till I can afford to get a couple more ikea ones.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Looks like the Expedit shelves from Ikea. On my shopping list.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great upgrade with the new shelves and the re-arrangement of the furniture.

Here's my setup...crummy lighting on a cloudy morning and all...

20080312-1.jpg

These are individual boxes that I got from the now-defunct Tower Records in San Francisco that stack nicely. Very sturdy and heavy wood, made for DJs to haul around, with little hand-holds cut into the sides for carrying.

20080312-2.jpg

My father made these 45 boxes for me in his woodshop. The one on the left is maple and Philippine mahogany, the right is Peruvian walnut, Philippine mahogany, maple, red oak and pear wood.

20080312-3.jpg

These are two shelves side-by-side that I got from "Books & Bookshelves" in San Francisco. As you can see, the unfinished wood in the bedroom with the light carpet is rather dull.

20080312-4.jpg

And lastly, I rotate a subset of records out to the living room. Yes, that's the ever ubiquitous Eames lounge chair, but this one is an authentic Plycraft imitation from the late 60s/early 70s
smile.gif

oDD_LotS

Reaction score
Gotta love the Plycraft lounger! I'm sitting in mine right now.

I've gotta say, you guys have some impressive collections! I'm using an industrial metal shelf like the OP's old set for my small collection right now (about 100 albums, just started collecting a few months ago), but I'd love to upgrade to some of these wood ones when I get a house this summer.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Wow, lots of LPs! I'm just rediscovering my comparatively meagre collection with my old Dual turntable, try to get an upgrade from Ebay now. What are you using? I suppose experts can tell just by looking, I can't yet
smile.gif

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My setup is pretty straightforward, a Technics SL-1200MK3D with an Ortofon cartridge and needle. In the living room, this feeds into an old Sony tuner which in turn drives a pair of 70's era (IIRC) Infinity RSIIIa speakers.

I don't know what type of offerings are on eBay, but best of luck and go ahead and post a picture of your setup so you can do a before&after spread
fing02[1].gif

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
record_room.jpg
Picked up s'more Expedit shelving from Ikea to replace the rest of the garage shelving. Looks pretty good! As for my equiptment, upstairs I'm running my old Technics SL-1600 MK2 hooked up to a vintage Pioneer SA-9100 amp. Also has a vintage Pioneer TX9100 stereo tuner. Bought all three when I worked at the Salvation Army. The Pioneers came in from the same guy. Both barely used and mint, still with the original boxes, paperwork and dust covers. The TT was almost brand new as well, still in the box and had the manuals and everything. My speakers are some Rogers LS3/5as. Low serial numbers, matched pair. Both mint from a Goodwill for $3 a piece. In the record room my main equiptment is a couple Klipschorns (model name slipped my mind) with the tube amps atop. The turntable is a Rega Plannar 3. The turntable atop the record shelving belongs to my brother. I forget what exactly it is.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ever considered upgrading your TT? Huge collection you have there, looks very impressive.

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Be irresponsible and get the goddamned VPI. You'll thank me later (as will your credit card agency).

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by binge
20080312-4.jpg

What are these metal shelving units? They look great. I love the legs on them.

I have a relatively small vinyl collection; I used to keep it stored along with books in these Ikea shelves (this is the only photo I have at hand):

Clothing002.jpg

Now the collection is housed behind closed doors in a different Ikea unit.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Spertia. They are from Müller Möbelfabrikation. The RW 111 and RW 105. I believe the units on both those pages are available with either the rollers or the feet. I wanted feet on both. The full RAL color book was at my disposal, so I went with "white aluminum" as inspired by this:
mobile_rollwagen.jpg

I don't remember the RAL number though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads