1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

Recommmend Me a Chair For Computer Use

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by blairh, Dec 2, 2011.

1. blairh

blairh Senior member

Hey everybody.

I tend to spend prolonged hours at a time (with a few breaks when necessary) seated at my desktop computer. I have a pretty standard chair which I think might be an issue. Yesterday I developed a pretty sharp pain in my upper back and this morning I woke up barely able to move my neck without excruciating pain. This is not the first time this has happened to me.

I believe the culprit is both the chair I use at my computer along with my posture while seated. I don't pay much attention to my posture while working at my computer, and my guess is that I'm not sitting up straight enough.

I'd like to purchase a new chair which will provide me with substantial back and neck support (while also, of course, making a point to sit up straight in it). I'd appreciate some recommendations if you have any. I'd prefer not to break the bank if necessary. Perhaps nothing more than $400. Thanks.

2. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

A good chair is going to be more around $700-800. The Herman Miller aeron chair is a staple of offices for these reasons;, they are ergonomic and work well for a great deal of people.

Your feet need to be flat on the floor and your knees bent at 90* while you are tasking.

I used to love big leather office chairs until I realised they were killing my back, now I use an aeron chair and back pains don't wake me up a night anymore.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  3. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

Eames Aluminum Soft Pad. Love it.

Bought used for an absolute steal, normally a bit out of my price range :embar:

4. stevent

stevent Senior member

What's the one people always joke about for startups? Ameron or something can't remember right now, but they are about $800 too and amazingly comfortable. Mesh backs, sleek silver?

5. blairh

blairh Senior member

I found an Aeron here for $534. Hmm. Staples also appears to have some knockoffs of this model.

I'd also really love to go somewhere and purchase where it already comes built. Not sure if that's an option or not. I'll build it only if I have to.

6. stevent

stevent Senior member

Clearing was not sober when posting that last night given the answer was above me. Yes the Aeron is the gold standard, there is really no other option and $534 is a great price.

7. blairh

blairh Senior member

I spoke too soon. Upon further review the $534 is without armrests, etc. I don't know.

8. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

The Aeron knockoffs suck. Nowhere near the real thing. Before you plunk down 5 bones on a chair I recommend you go sit in the fucking thing. Some people really don't find them that comfortable.

9. blairh

blairh Senior member

I agree. I think I need to visit a store, try some out, and then decide. There is a Design Within Reach store somewhat near my home. Please feel free to share any other good retailers to shop at. (I'm right outside Boston.)

10. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Relax the Back carries SteelCase I believe. Other than that, maybe an office furniture wholesaler.

11. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

I've read a couple of articles about failed startups, where they've commented about repossessing a large number of Herman Miller chairs. Probably why they burned through their VC so quickly without seeing a return on it.

12. blairh

blairh Senior member

Starting to think a chair with a headrest is the way to go.

13. username79

username79 Senior member

Herman Miller Mirra is more comfortable than the Aeron IMO. Cheaper too.

14. xpress

xpress Senior member

Just spent a month testing various chairs... Freedom Chair, Aeron, Embody, Mirra...

There are 5 guys in the office, and we ALL went with the Embody.

Ugly? Maybe.
    Comfortable? YES.

15. scientific

scientific Senior member

+1 to try other chairs instead of plunking for de facto aeron.

i HATE the aeron chair, it does not work for my body/sitting style. but i'm screwed with it bc it is the de facto and my office uses them.