• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommended shoe shops in Northern England

TheDarkKnight

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello All, can anyone recommend great shoe shops Leeds and up, that offer a very good and experienced service? I have to wear a small insole due to an old injury, so size and fit can be a bit of a pain, so an experienced shop would be a great help.

Alas this is why I don't order shoes online as do need some guidance from a knowledgeable member of staff (at least until I know what lasts work for me etc)

I'm looking at Loake, Sanders, Barker and Cheaney, but sub £200 if possible, so a shop with seconds available too would be a boon.

Can anyone recommend this shop in York? http://www.watkinsonsshoes.com/

Many thanks

Ingenieur

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheDarkKnight
Hello All, can anyone recommend great shoe shops Leeds and up, that offer a very good and experienced service? I have to wear a small insole due to an old injury, so size and fit can be a bit of a pain, so an experienced shop would be a great help. Alas this is why I don't order shoes online as do need some guidance from a knowledgeable member of staff (at least until I know what lasts work for me etc) I’m looking at Loake, Sanders, Barker and Cheaney, but sub £200 if possible, so a shop with seconds available too would be a boon. Can anyone recommend this shop in York? http://www.watkinsonsshoes.com/ Many thanks
If you can travel slightly south to Pontefract or Doncaster, the excellent Shoe Healer has Loakes. Edit: If you do visit Shoe Healer you can also try Trickers lasts and order from the factory store.

Last Year's Man

Reaction score
very slightly south of Leeds (my hometown) but Edwards of Manchester have a great little shop, super-experienced staff, and a nice selection of shoes from a variety of makers. I would strongly recommend popping in to speak to some guys who really know their shoes.

If you do go to Manchester, check out the Oxfam Originals shop in the northern quarter - They have some amazing stuff at amazing prices; Hermes ties, C&J shoes, a huge amount of nice tweed SC's last time I was there ( picked up a burberry trench for £60)

kev777

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jacksons Shoes
Mirfield
Nr Leeds
01924 492326

Also look for them on ebay.
Andrew is and absolute gentleman and can get you a good deal if you twist his arm.
Pretty darn good cobbler too.
Tell him Kevin sent you
smile.gif

Stocks and can get Loake Alfred Sargent Trickers Sanders & does his own pretty good line
which i think are a special Sanders make.

Marcellionheart

Reaction score
I highly recommend the Shoe Healer in Doncaster. Extremely knowledgeable staff there.

TheDarkKnight

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys this is a fantastic thread, thank you for the great help! I think I'll spend a couple of days, one Leeds and Doncaster and the other Manchester.

Thanks again
smile.gif

TheDarkKnight

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A last bump and then to the shops in the next few days!

Bashmachkin

Reaction score
I live in York and I have bought a couple of pairs of shoes from Watkinsons. On the one hand the shop has been about for a long time and from what I gather maintains a good reputation amongst the people of York, and its selection is good with a wide range of Loake, Barker and Cheaney shoes plus a seemingly dwindling number of shoes by Church, and its window display, which I pass frequently, is suitably full and attractive; however I am hesitant to recommend the shop to you because my limited experience with it has not been great. The staff comprises mainly elderly women who sometimes seem to me quite tetchy; I was overcharged on a recent purchase, which error was admittedly corrected; and the shoes they sell on sale are a mixed bunch of shoes at best, and I have seen some pairs on sale with brogueing that does not match.

I am twenty-four years old and so perhaps an atypical customer for the shop, and I don't have any particular issues with my feet so haven't needed to really engage the staff in any detail. Perhaps if you went to Watkinsons and sought detailed help you'd get the best out of the shop, and it is worth visiting because it does have a decent selection of shoes - probably the best in York at least.

Otherwise, there is a small cobblers down an alley off Coney Street, one of the main shopping streets in York, which carries a limited but interesting selection of shoes by Loake, Alfred Sargent and Trickers, often with some seconds amongst their selection; Pavers has shoes by Loake and Barker; the Austin Reed in York often has its Cheaney and Church shoes on sale; the Gieves & Hawkes at the Designer Outlet outside the city centre sells shoes at reduced prices; and back in town Jones the Bootmaker, which used to carry Barker shoes, now carries little that may interest SF aside from this, their 'Manton' in black.

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
There used to be a very good seconds shoe shop in the covered market in Durham that had a lot of good makes at very good prices. I've bought Trickers there before but dont remember what else they have.

HTH

Charlie

TheDarkKnight

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bashmachkin
I live in York and I have bought a couple of pairs of shoes from Watkinsons. On the one hand the shop has been about for a long time and from what I gather maintains a good reputation amongst the people of York, and its selection is good with a wide range of Loake, Barker and Cheaney shoes plus a seemingly dwindling number of shoes by Church, and its window display, which I pass frequently, is suitably full and attractive; however I am hesitant to recommend the shop to you because my limited experience with it has not been great. The staff comprises mainly elderly women who sometimes seem to me quite tetchy; I was overcharged on a recent purchase, which error was admittedly corrected; and the shoes they sell on sale are a mixed bunch of shoes at best, and I have seen some pairs on sale with brogueing that does not match.

I am twenty-four years old and so perhaps an atypical customer for the shop, and I don't have any particular issues with my feet so haven't needed to really engage the staff in any detail. Perhaps if you went to Watkinsons and sought detailed help you'd get the best out of the shop, and it is worth visiting because it does have a decent selection of shoes - probably the best in York at least.

Otherwise, there is a small cobblers down an alley off Coney Street, one of the main shopping streets in York, which carries a limited but interesting selection of shoes by Loake, Alfred Sargent and Trickers, often with some seconds amongst their selection; Pavers has shoes by Loake and Barker; the Austin Reed in York often has its Cheaney and Church shoes on sale; the Gieves & Hawkes at the Designer Outlet outside the city centre sells shoes at reduced prices; and back in town Jones the Bootmaker, which used to carry Barker shoes, now carries little that may interest SF aside from this, their 'Manton' in black.

This is very useful thank you. As first and foremost I'm looking for good service and knowledge, old tetchy women staff is an immediate no, so I will not visit!

Originally Posted by Equus Leather
There used to be a very good seconds shoe shop in the covered market in Durham that had a lot of good makes at very good prices. I've bought Trickers there before but dont remember what else they have.

HTH

Charlie

This sounds interesting, when I know more of what lasts and brands work for me, I will see if this is still about.

Slightly off topic, what alterations tailor do you use being in Northumberland? I've used Isaac Waltons a few times but I'm looking for a new alterations tailor.

TheDarkKnight

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went down on Wednesday to The shoe healer, and although it was Richard's day off (the fitting expert), his staff were very helpful indeed. I got just what I was looking for at this time, some mid brown brogues to wear with jeans and a blazer, from Loake 1880: http://www.loake.co.uk/Shop/Products...ake+Catalog%29 Strangely they are the same last as my black semi brogue Loake Hiltons and the same size but the black ones are a little too snug. http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/produc...colour_id=1034 Have any of you guys found this before? I think it may be because the brogues have an oxford lacing, which I was told was much better for a flat foot than the derby lacing of the semi brogue.

Marcellionheart

Reaction score
The lacing style could very well change that situation yes. Especially if you're finding it tight around the instep. Glad you found what you needed at the Shoehealer. The Savoys are nice.

Infrasonic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Last Year's Man
very slightly south of Leeds (my hometown) but Edwards of Manchester have a great little shop, super-experienced staff, and a nice selection of shoes from a variety of makers. I would strongly recommend popping in to speak to some guys who really know their shoes.

If you do go to Manchester, check out the Oxfam Originals shop in the northern quarter - They have some amazing stuff at amazing prices; Hermes ties, C&J shoes, a huge amount of nice tweed SC's last time I was there ( picked up a burberry trench for £60)

Additionally there is a Flannels clearance store virtually next door to Oxfam. It's just a door leading down to a basement. Some seriously steep discounted label stuff in there (if you're into labels). They do shoes as well. New stock monthly apparently.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads