• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommended opera recordings?

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What opera recordings would you recommend?

Must be easy to purchase online.

Discuss.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You don't have any composers in mind?

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No.

And why did I know you would be the first person to respond to this thread?

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
THere was a book I picked up a few years ago that was pretty decent called the 100 essential opera recordings or something like that.

Honestly, if you don't know, just pick recordings from a respected company.

mink31

Reaction score
The Magic Flute is very palatable if you're just getting into opera. Make sure to get the German language version, though.

Other standard fare: La Traviata, Il Pigliacci, La Boheme, Tosca, Turandot, Don Giovanni, the Barber of Seville, Eugene Onegin.

For any of these famous operas, you can't go wrong with names like Pavarotti, Domingo, Callas, Hvorostovsky, Toscanini.

mink31

Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
Please list a few.

Decca/London, EMI, Philips, Deutsche Grammophon, Sony Classical, BMG, RCA.

tlmusic

Reaction score
I suggest getting DVDs of operas. You can watch them with the subtitles on. Opera is quite visual, so seeing the action and understanding the story is an enjoyable, essential part of the experience.

Some favorite accessible operas:

Tristan und Isolde (long but amazing)
Die Zauberflöte (very visual in most productions and really quite wild)
Carmen (maybe the most popular of all)

mink31's recommendations are solid.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Are you looking for full recordings and good performances? Or do you just want intro to opera stuff? If the former, the following are good recordings that I own:

Verdi - La Traviata - EMI 1955 - c. Carlo Maria Giulini - Maria Callas, Giuseppe Di Stefano
Madama Butterfly - Giuseppe Di Stefano,Titto Gobbi, Victoria De Los Angeles - Orquestra e Coro del Opera di Roma-1955
Puccini - Tosca - DECCA 1978 - Pavarotti, Freni, Milnes
Puccini - Turandot - DECCA 1973 - c. Zubin Mehta - Sutherland, Pavarotti, CaballÃ
00a9.png
, Ghiaurov
Puccini - La Boheme - DECCA 1972 - c. Herbert von Karajan - Freni, Pavarotti, Panerai, Ghiaurov, Harwood
Bizet - Carmen - EMI 1964 - Callas

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No. And why did I know you would be the first person to respond to this thread?
Because we're meant for each other. BTW, Te Kanawa is not that good (IMO).

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What opera recordings would you recommend? Must be easy to purchase online. Discuss.
For a quick fix, download in iTunes Plus (Plus is a must): 1. Madama Butterfly - Scotto/Barbirolli 2. Salome - Nillson/Solti One will make you cry, one will turn you on
wink.gif
Some I love. The Magic Flute - Mozart (Bohm) Marriage of Figaro - Mozart (Solti) Don Giovanni - Mozart (Davis) La Traviata - Verdi (Kleiber) Der Rosenkavalier - Richard Strauss (EMI von Karajan) Wozzeck -- Berg (Abbado) Lulu - Berg (Boulez) Peter Grimes - Britten (Britten) The Ring - Wagner (Most will say Solti for good reason, but I love von Karajan) Tristan and Isolde - Wagner (Kleiber) Bluebeard's Castle - Bartok (Boulez)

Cravate_Noire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there's a DVD of Don Giovanni with Samuel Ramey as Don G and Kurt Moll as the Commendatore?
I mean that one

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads