• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

recommended lifts to improve posture?

pdeng

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Deadlifts
Squats

Good mornings
Even SLDLs

Just in my experience, these compound exercises that work the lower back and (in some cases) the upper back, are excellent for posture. It has helped me a lot.

If you do not use correct form you will end up injured, so get a trainer or research them extensively, and then start with very low weight.

Squats and deadlifts force you to have good form unless you want to pop out a vertebrae. Get your core strong too and you'll be more conscious of how your posture is daily.

aleeboy

Reaction score
Best exercise for posture would be seated cable rows. Forces you to keep your core tight, shoulders back and requires you to contract the shoulder blades together - which brings your shoulders back. Keeping your stomach muscles tensed - like the pilates breathing style - also forces you to correct posture.

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bumping this instead of making a new thread...

Is there any exercise that can be done AT HOME to improve posture? I don't have access to machines, so I'm limited to dumbbells and household objects. Also, if you have a suggestion, could you please describe it instead of just listing the name like "seated double tricep lifts" since I'm not into working out, and I'm not sure what the names mean
shog[1].gif

Thanks!

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The upward bow is a yoga posture that does well for that, for obvious reasons...

Bostonyoga.jpg

Also, getting under the squat rack moving heavy weight helped me greatly too. I no longer slump my shoulders after I started squatting.

Friday as I was leaving Jack In the Box I realized I was actually 5'7 instead of 5'5 (they have rulers by the door, I guess measuring one's height is a popular thing to do at fast food joints.) Pretty cool.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bostonyoga.jpg

alan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Face pulls are pretty good for posture

MCsommerreid

Reaction score
It depends a hell of a lot on what's causing the bad posture in the first place.

If bad posture causing a bit of a humped-back look has been an issue since childhood, I would suggest chatting to your GP and getting a referral of some kind. I'm currently trying to fix the same in myself (kyphosis caused by overcompensation for lordosis caused by overly heavy backpacks and chronic bad posture as a child), and it turns out I developed a minor abnormal bend in my scapula and clavicle.

So for me, the solution to my bad posture is core exercises (those are the muscles that hold you straight), conscious posture correction, and learning to live with the slight anterior-lateral bend in my shoulders.

Taxler

Reaction score
Go to YouTube and search for Alexander Technique.

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Taxler
Go to YouTube and search for Alexander Technique.

Could you explain it? All the videos are just people talking about how good it is, not what it is.

Taxler

Reaction score
Originally Posted by longskate88
Could you explain it? All the videos are just people talking about how good it is, not what it is.

You couldn't possibly have watched all of them in 8 minutes.

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Taxler
You couldn't possibly have watched all of them in 8 minutes.

LOL, do I have to watch them all, or is there one good vid?
teacha.gif

fredfred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would suggest your slovenly posture may be caused by a slovenly attitude. It's not a video you need, it's the actual fortitude to do things like... posture exercises and searching through a few videos to find a good posture exercise video.

You need the fortitude first. The video ain't going to help you.

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fredfred
I would suggest your slovenly posture may be caused by a slovenly attitude. It's not a video you need, it's the actual fortitude to do things like... posture exercises and searching through a few videos to find a good posture exercise video.

You need the fortitude first. The video ain't going to help you.

Could you describe some posture exercises? The will is there, just not the knowledge.
mwink[1].gif

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's already been said. Core exercises are your best bet. Squat and deadlift. If you've never squatted before, start out with wall sits or air squats. All can be found on youtube.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads