• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommended Evening Activity: Lectures at NYC's Explorer's Club

Reaction score
Since Jan 2014, I've been attending lectures at the Explorer's Club at 46 East 70th (Bet Park and Madison).
There's usually something happening every week, but my preference runs toward the Monday evening lectures.
For $20, it's a great deal - wine and cheese reception at 6pm, mingling with a fascinating mix of well-heeled, well-traveled
folk. At 7pm lecture starts promptly - intriguing topics by acclaimed explorers and adventurers - Ryan Salm (photographer),
Sam Mehta (adventurer/photographer), Wade Davis (botanist, ethnographer, author of Serpent and the Rainbow), Leroy
Chiao (astronaut) and more, with a Q&A afterward.

The Club has been around for about 100+ years. Their current HQ is their third (IIRC), since 1965 or so - a charming
old-school edifice with leaded casement windows, beamed high ceilings, and a collection of evocative artifacts
from the golden age of exploration, where guts and determination worked hand in glove with maps, compasses and intuition.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Don't you need an invite to that? Are you humble bragging?

Reaction score
Don't you need an invite to that? Are you humble bragging?
I should clarify. I'm not a member - you need an ample bank account and more importantly some significant extant contributions to exploration and/or knowledge to become a member. I'm referring to their public lectures. Just call their main number and reserve a slot. You can pay by phone or even just say, "I'll pay by cash or credit card at the door" and you'll be on the guest list.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I should clarify.  I'm not a member - you need an ample bank account and more importantly some significant extant contributions to exploration and/or knowledge to become a member.  I'm referring to their public lectures.  Just call their main number and reserve a slot.  You can pay by phone or even just say, "I'll pay by cash or credit card at the door" and you'll be on the guest list.

Ah, did not know this. Thanks for the tip, OP.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
**** yeah. Also, the Colt 1911 is the finest handgun ever made.

Reaction score
**** yeah. Also, the Colt 1911 is the finest handgun ever made.
My 1911 is one of my favorite handguns (It's a Kimber). I'm better with it than any of the others I own.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

My 1911 is one of my favorite handguns (It's a Kimber).  I'm better with it than any of the others I own.

I have a Springfield I inherited from my dad, we used to go shooting with it together. As ridiculous as it is that's what he first trained me on. I'm a terrible shot with it as I am a recoil-baby but it's still a fun pistol to shoot with.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads