Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Recommendations while in France (9/17-10/2 2016)

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by RedLantern, Sep 12, 2016.

1. RedLantern

RedLantern Distinguished Member

Any iGents have good recommendations for things to do, but most importantly, places to eat while my wife and I are in France?

Our itinerary:

Paris Sept. 17-21
    Annecy 21-24
    Lyon 24-27
    Cannes 27- Oct 1
    Paris 1-2

Not really on a budget, but not very into cutting edge/nouvelle cuisine type places either.

We won't have a car, but are willing to uber/cab to places outside walking/metro distance.

I feel that we might get a bit bored while in Cannes - is it worth a day trip to Monaco?

Other general tips or things to know about visiting France are appreciated!

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016

2. RedLantern

3. brianoh

brianoh Senior Member

Paul Bocuse, (l'auberge du pont de collonges), if you're not on a budget. It's Lyonese food, very heavy, and 3 Michelin Stars-- once in a lifetime.

While you're in Annecy you might as well hit up Chamonix (the French Alps).

4. RedLantern

I already have reservations at Paul Bocuse :slayer:

It's my understanding that it's kind of a fossil and they are waiting for Bocuse to die to take a star or two, but I'm totally into the very-old-school aspect of it!

5. brianoh

brianoh Senior Member

I got a tour of the kitchen (Oui chef!) and the wine cellar when I went. Hopefully you get the same treatment-- it's pretty cool.

Aside from eating, there isn't really much to do in Lyon. Vieux Lyon is kinda where there's more to see, but even that you can bang it out in a day. Took this shot a few months ago at the Cathedral.
    [​IMG]

I'll actually be there next week, in Paris and Chamonix.

6. RedLantern

I think we're only in Lyon for 3 days, one of which we are going to take a day trip to Tain l'hermitage/Tournon sur rhone, so not going to be spending too much time there. Might go and see the Roman ruins on the (north?) part of the city.

7. poorsod

poorsod Distinguished Member

If you are looking for a day trip from Cannes, the Voiles des St. Tropez overlaps with your Cannes dates. It is a regatta for traditional sail ships and is quite an incredible sight if you like that sort of thing. I recall there is a ferry from Cannes that takes you directly to St. Tropez.

http://www.lesvoilesdesaint-tropez.fr/les_voiles_de_saint_tropez/

There is a Paris restaurant thread if you are looking for restaurant recommendations
    http://www.styleforum.net/t/370258/paris-restaurants/0_30

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016

8. dcg

dcg Distinguished Member

Any recommendations for Paris Marriott hotels? Champs Elysees, Vendome, Arc de Triomphe?

9. WildeMan

WildeMan Senior Member

The least-charming, but least-expensive Marriott in Paris is the Marriott Rive Gauche. The location is quiet, but it's directly across from Glaciere Metro station.

I believe that superior rooms are renovated and standard rooms are not. The breakfast buffet is extensive --- but very expensive so look for a room rate which includes breakfast.

This is a Marriott which looks in every way as if it was transplanted from Ohio. But I will take a Marriott bed and Marriott heating/AC anyday over the charming three-star walkups in the 6th.

10. dcg

dcg Distinguished Member

Thank you, good to know! This will be my first time in Paris, and the wife hasn't been for 10 years or so. If it makes a difference, we'll be there Dec 27-Jan 1.

I'll be using points, and am Platinum with Marriott, so we should be good with breakfast. Currently booked at Champs Elysees, but have seen some mixed reviews. On the other hand, have also seen plenty of people say it's the place to be for your first time in Paris.

We place much more priority on location than having the latest room renovations. A good breakfast is nice as well. Beyond that, as long as the room is clean I'm good to go - we plan to be out exploring Paris, not hanging out in the room. :)

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016