• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommendations wanted: Rack mounted MP3 HD based player

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know these exist but I can't seem to find any at the big electronics stores today.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a MP3 hard drive based unit that is standard stereo component sized. I do not want a wireless only option, but rather one I can connect to my PC and transfer over MP3/WMA/Whatever as need be.

I know, I know, but I don't feel like stringing CAT5 to have a permanent interface between a unit and my PC and I hate leaving my computer on permanently so a wireless network isn't much use to me.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nantucket Red
Bang & Olufsen Beosound 3200 is what I'm getting.

B&O isn't exactly bang for your buck but it sure looks nice. It's more a lifestyle audio brand imo.

GG, what's the rest of your system look like? Nobody can make good recommendations without knowing what sort of gear you have. Or you could always build a HTPC. It'll do a lot more than play MP3s and you can buy a case that will fit in with the rest of your gear.

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nantucket Red
Bang & Olufsen Beosound 3200 is what I'm getting.

Hmmm, nice but it doesn't fit what I need. I need a standalone component that fits in with the rest of my home theatre.

GQgeek, the rest of the system is your standard brushed steel look, an receiver, CD changer and a DVD player/recorder. I'm not opposed to the HTPC concept. I have been considering the Apple Mac mini or one of its competitors and building some sort of custom set-up. I'd rather it come out-of-the-box ready but I don't mind investing some time if I have to.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The mac mini is absolute crap and doesn't do a good job of what it's designed for. Do a search on the forums for htpc. There was a thread quite a while ago and if my memory serves me correctly I posted some useful info in it. How much do you know about PC hardware and how much are you willing to spend. I can pretty much guarantee that you could build a high quality HTPC that would put out sound rivaling a very expensive HDD MP3 player and I can pretty much guarantee that the interface will be better. How good is the rest of your audio system?

I run an HTPC on Windows Media Center Edition and I couldn't go back to life without it. It does PVR as well, which I made plenty of use of before I cancelled my cable. And of course with a PC it's very easy to add space when you need it. And there are several manufacturers that make cases designed to fit in with home theater components that have brushed aluminum fronts.

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
The mac mini is absolute crap and doesn't do a good job of what it's designed for. Do a search on the forums for htpc. There was a thread quite a while ago and if my memory serves me correctly I posted some useful info in it. How much do you know about PC hardware and how much are you willing to spend. I can pretty much guarantee that you could build a high quality HTPC that would put out sound rivaling a very expensive HDD MP3 player and I can pretty much guarantee that the interface will be better. How good is the rest of your audio system?

To be truthful, I think the Mac Mini probably would have done the job. All I need is something to play MP3s and with its Front Row software, it would have done that easy peasy. Either way, at $800 Canadian, it's a bit much for a single-se object.

I'm very comfortable with PC hardware and I am willing to spend a decent hunk of change, especially now that I'm obsessed by the problem, ha ha. I'll have to look for your thread on HTPC.

The rest of my stereo is fine. Nothing fancy, it does the job. Middle class, I suppose is one way to say it.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'd definitely recommend an HTPC. Much more functionality than what's essentially an Ipod on a rack.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads