• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommendations Trip to Vancouver, Canada.

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hey guys!

So, my girlfriend and I, we’re planning to visit Vancouver in December, this will be the first time for both visiting Canada. We’re excited! But we know that although the winter in Vancouver isn’t as harsh like in other parts of Canada, we saw that in those dates there might be snow and well, we don’t know what to bring or buy that could help us not feel it extreme. We’re not used to snow.

I have some items that I think are a good idea but would like to hear from guys that are used to live where there’s snow.

I think is a good idea to tell you what I have:
- Oxford shirts
- Wool sweaters/cardigans
- Heavy overcoat
- Scarves
- Heavy socks
- Boots

What I think I need:
- Gloves
- Beanie/hat rom something like that
- Heavier denim

So, first thing is, I don’t know if wearing oxfords shirts is a good idea. The purpose of the trip is to visit places and all that stuff. A shirt or polo would be a better idea but those would not cover me if I feel the cold is a little to much for me. Any ideas? I would not like to buy a jacket that I would only use 1 time.

If the oxfords shirts are a good idea, then with the wool cardigans/sweaters and the overcoat (this one is from Spier & Mackay, so designed for heavy winters) I think I would be covered.

About boots. I have a pair of Red Wing Beckmann’s although I think the right one might be mislabeled so not my personal choice for long walks. I have a pair of Tricker’s Stone but don’t know if they are ok with snow. Plus they sole sin leather, don’t know if that would work. And then, there’s a pair of a Meermin derby boots in suede with their version of Dainite sole but I’m guessing these are the perhaps the worst options hehe. Or should I buy new boots?

Then, what I think worries me the most is the bottom part. I have a pair of Raw denim jeans but they are very lightweight, should I pick up a heavier denim pair? How heavy? Or what other choice is nice?

I think that covers most of my doubts I feel you have any other input, feels free to post it.

Thanks!

PS. Hopefully some locals can’t chime in and give their advice. :) @Burzan @colHolm @induere_to @spiermackay @saskatoonjay

induere_to

Reaction score
I’d say go break the bank and invest in a Nobis... but, I’m just used to -40 degree snow here in Toronto. When I lived in California, snowfall would happen due to altitude but I’d manage, still, to get from point a to point b in a t-shirt and jeans.

Hard to say from an extreme comparison but personally, I would treat the snow more like a cold rainfall rather than a frigid Antarctic trek over harsh tundra...

Just pack Spier sweaters and a raincoat and buy a pair of Vans sneakers.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I grew up in Vancouver so maybe I can help. It can snow in December but you’re more likely to have chilly days with light rain/drizzle. Daytime temps usually in the 0-10 deg C range but it’s probably good to be prepared for it to go a bit lower. The key in Vancouver is to bring layers so you can adjust for the weather. Oxford shirt plus sweater and overcoat will be plenty warm. Yes, hat and gloves. Footwear doesn’t have to be super warm but I’d advise against leather soles, given how wet Vancouver can be. Bring warm socks. As for trousers, maybe a light pair of long underwear under your jeans will be fine.
The one thing that you really should get is a jacket for rain. In Vancouver a waterproof/breathable shell (no insulation) is nearly essential.
Have a great trip!!

saskatoonjay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What a great city for your first Canadian visit! You’ll meet some of the friendliest, most open-minded, active, and healthy people there.

I echo what @breakaway01 says about layers: wear sweaters and bring that Spier overcoat. Bring a wool hat, but don’t call it a beanie: in Canada it’s a toque (rhymes with souk). Don’t spend money on snow-boots that you’ll never wear again. Get some gloves and bring a scarf. That wind off the Pacific can hurt.

For your bottom half you won’t freeze in denim, but you might want to wear long underwear (we call them long johns) like this:
43787FA5-72B4-4548-934A-6A96D7FC4524.jpeg

saskatoonjay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh—and corduroy. I prefer corduroy pants to denim in the cold. Also, I’d bet money you won’t need long johns in the mild cold of Van city.

Last edited:

nqtri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
December is actually not bad in Vancouver, just constant shower if I recall correctly from last year. It's not the coldest month but for someone new it'll be best to have some winter jacket ready, even better if it's water resistant or waterproof, and umbrella, that's a must. The city is getting Uber/ Lyft in hopefully September so transportation wise you should be good.

Menswear in Vancouver is pretty much dead, but that doesn't mean there's no shop that carries some awesome stuff.

For boots and clothing in general I'd recommend Miloh Shop (carries Yanko, Viberg, and bunch of Japanese denim, etc.), Roden Gray (carries Alden), and Wallace Mercantile. All are located close to each other in Gastown, Chinatown area.

I also recommend hit up the Arcteryx outlet store in North Vancouver if you have a car, if you're in luck you'll be able to find some technical heavy coats from the Veilance line for good price. Nothing beats Veilance when it comes to technical wear.

Ebitdaddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vancouver native here.

It doesn't get that cold. Bring a raincoat and you're fine along with shoes that can get muddy.

There are loads of stores that carry classic menswear brands and now a lot of watch dealers. I wouldn't buy from them on the watch side but worth checking out for sure.

Tons of great food and relatively cheap. My shortlist:
Botanist
Chambar
Gotham's
Nightingale

Insane amount of good Indian and Asian food too!

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I grew up in Vancouver so maybe I can help. It can snow in December but you’re more likely to have chilly days with light rain/drizzle. Daytime temps usually in the 0-10 deg C range but it’s probably good to be prepared for it to go a bit lower. The key in Vancouver is to bring layers so you can adjust for the weather. Oxford shirt plus sweater and overcoat will be plenty warm. Yes, hat and gloves. Footwear doesn’t have to be super warm but I’d advise against leather soles, given how wet Vancouver can be. Bring warm socks. As for trousers, maybe a light pair of long underwear under your jeans will be fine.
The one thing that you really should get is a jacket for rain. In Vancouver a waterproof/breathable shell (no insulation) is nearly essential.
Have a great trip!!

Nice! Good to know it's not as extreme as I was thinking, definitely I think I need a rain coat. I'm thinking that the S&M overcoat being wool is not convinient for it to get wet, right?

Not specific advice but make sure you check out miloh shop!

Will do! Although my girlfriend would be tough to convince to visit stores, she's the kind of girl that doesn't like to visit malls or stores. Crazy hahaha.

Bring a wool hat, but don’t call it a beanie: in Canada it’s a toque
Ah! Didn't knew that! Haha Since I have never used one, didn't knew how to call them hehe.

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

saskatoonjay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That’s a beautiful coat. I don’t know if this matters to you (because you’d rather stand out than blend in), but Vancouver has an outdoorsy, fitness vibe. Lots of people who run and hike and do yoga. You’ll see many of these:

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
If you like to spend time outside, bring rain pants in addition to a waterproof “shell” jacket. You’ll enjoy your time more if you’re not in soggy jeans all day.

Patagonia, North Face and REI all have good offerings.

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I live in Vancouver too. Don’t overthink it too much. We don’t live in igloos or ride dogsleds, here. Most people don’t own winter tires.

I echo what others have said. Wear a comfortable pair of pants, bring something water resistant if you plan on doing some day trips. Bring something nice if you plan on going out for dinner, but be warned- Even if you go to Hawksworth for dinner, it’ll be mostly jeans and Canucks jerseys, at least it was when I’ve been there.

Try:
St.Laurence (French/Québécois)
Ask For Luigi (Italian)
Vij’s (Indian)
Peaceful (Chinese)
Jade (Dim Sum)

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you like to spend time outside, bring rain pants in addition to a waterproof “shell” jacket. You’ll enjoy your time more if you’re not in soggy jeans all day.

Patagonia, North Face and REI all have good offerings.

Full on Arc'teryx is the only good, patriotic, Vancouver option.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads