• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommendations on where to look for a Navy suit?

Vincente Fox

Reaction score
It's not pressing, so I can keep an eye out and wait some, but wondering where people would recommend I look. I tend to watch gilt (though I know it's not beloved around here) and have an eye out on STP as well.

I'm 5'11 and about 215 with very broad shoulders and a deep chest and tend to wear a 42R. So, while I think something like a Zegna suit tends to be gorgeous, typically in my experience Joseph Abboud or Hugo Boss or Michael Kors (maybe Hickey?) tend to fit me better, brought in a little around the waist. As is, I don't have a navy suit, so I'd like something along those lines, preferably pattern/stripe-free.

Ideally, I'd like to keep it in the 3-500 range as I have a few suits and don't wear them so frequently that it really makes sense for me to lay down a ton of money for something exquisite, and was just hoping for suggestions on sellers, brands, etc. on which I should keep tabs.

Thanks.

EDIT: Also, I'm 24 if that helps any.

Last edited:

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I doubt you will find a quality solid navy suit in that price range. Maybe one with a pattern or fashionable colors, but only after the season. But, if you pay more and get a good one, you can wear it for many years.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
At that price you will have to make a decision. Either go with a cheaper OTR suit from Men's Warehouse (or whatever) and accept the fact that the quality wont be as high as a lot of the people here expect, be patient and look for a good deal on a quality suit on eBay (it happens), or save more money and get a nice suit later on. My only bit of advise is to stay away from the fashion forward suits offered by Zegna or Hugo Boss at a cheap price. If you want a suit for partying with your friends and that's your thing then fine, but they aren't wardrobe staples that will serve you for a variety of occasions.

GothamRed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honestly, if you know how certain labels fit on/for you, your best bet is eBay. Otherwise, you're coming in under C21 prices for just good labels, let alone great (to the extent they're event there).

nickrut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go to the FS and look for the member that sells Brooks Brothers stuff. Can get a nice 1818 for 3-400

400 Degreez

Reaction score
You should look into SuitSupply. You can get great suits for under $500 there.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do a search on the forum, there are probably hundreds of threads asking a very similar question that may help.

Also, the search function on site is admittedly kinda ******. Works better for me to use google and just append "site:styleforum.net" to the end.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chester Berrie RTW in House of Fraser comes close to the budget on sales, decent cut without overly fashion, good fabrics.
If you really care about noticeable brands, check out Paul Smith Mainline, their suits goes on sales a couple of times in the year, also your closest outlet store might also be a good idea.

Frankly, your budget is pretty low, so don't expect your purchase will look flawless.

Last edited:

Vincente Fox

Reaction score
Thanks, everyone, for the responses. It doesn't have to be quite in that price range necessarily, that would just be a preference, as I'd rather not spend too too much.

So, ebay is good, then, and I'll take a look at suit supply. Any on sites that sometimes have good deals pop up, or other specific brands that might be good? I have never heard of Chester Berrie, but I'll check that out as well as Paul Smith.

Do a search on the forum, there are probably hundreds of threads asking a very similar question that may help.

Also, the search function on site is admittedly kinda ******. Works better for me to use google and just append "site:styleforum.net" to the end.

I spent a while searching through threads, but didn't find a lot that was very helpful. As you said, it's kinda difficult to get what you want from the search function, and a lot of what I did find was links to specific suits on sale 2 or 3 years ago, which is obviously not applicable.

Go to the FS and look for the member that sells Brooks Brothers stuff. Can get a nice 1818 for 3-400

Sorry, what's FS?

HughJ

Reaction score
He meant For Sale .

I strongly suggest getting a handle on your measurements if you are intent on buying over the internet.

Vincente Fox

Reaction score
Ah, thanks. And I intend to. I have an idea of what they are, but plan to update them.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
He's right. And not just the measurements taken from your body, but also what measurements your clothes need to be to look decent. Over the years I've pretty much figured out what the measurements of an item need to be to look good on me, so, assuming the measurements are accurate, most of my eBay purchases are winners. But I will say this, that didn't happen over night. There was many a dollar wasted on clothes that ended up not fitting when I got it. Thankfully I always look for deals and most of the time I was out $20 rather than $200.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads