• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommendations on MTM vs Bespoke

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello,

This is a question for my good friend who is getting married in Sept. He doesn't have a suit but would like to have a very quality one per his in-laws who are paying for it. He wants a timeless suit so no fashion forward Tom Ford or skinny lapels. He also wants a solid navy (recommended) or a solid charcoal.

I told him there is a good bespoke tailor in LA called, Frank and Enzo Caruso. Does anyone have an opinion on them?

Are there companies that does MTM or fittings such as Indochino or Suit Supply? What about a Kent Wang? I'm just trying to get your guys opinions please.

Appreciate the help!

Cheers

Sean

Knowledge is King

Reaction score
If the wedding is at the beginning of September, a quality off the rack suit and a good alterations tailor might be a safer bet. End of September is a little more reasonable but that's still cutting it close. It can take several weeks to turn around a MTM suit, especially since MTM suits usually aren't made in house. You might be able to work with a bespoke tailor to rush a suit but that will all depend on the tailor's schedule. I would contact all of your potential options to see if they can work on such a tight timeline and then go from there.

Last edited:

Macallan

Reaction score
The title needs to be changed to 'RTW vs Bespoke'

Go the rtw routine and get the suit altered - he needs to start off with a decent fit suit to limit the alteration. With bespoke, he needs to find out if they are able to make the suit within 3 weeks and he needs to be available for the fittings as soon as possible, because he needs to wear a suit a few times to get an idea of how it fits.

In my opinion, he should go the rtw routine:
i. he does not have a suit, he could get lost going the mtm/bespoke routine
ii. his in-laws are paying for it

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hello,
This is a question for my good friend who is getting married in Sept. He doesn't have a suit but would like to have a very quality one per his in-laws who are paying for it. He wants a timeless suit so no fashion forward Tom Ford or skinny lapels. He also wants a solid navy (recommended) or a solid charcoal.
I told him there is a good bespoke tailor in LA called, Frank and Enzo Caruso. Does anyone have an opinion on them?
Are there companies that does MTM or fittings such as Indochino or Suit Supply? What about a Kent Wang? I'm just trying to get your guys opinions please.
Appreciate the help!
Cheers
Sean

A four year old article on Enzo Caruso- very positive.

http://sleevehead.blogspot.com/search?q=enzo+caruso

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads