• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Recommendations for suit, shirts, shoes? Budget ~ £500

benjyf

New Member
Joined
Jun 17, 2010
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
I'm getting married in just over 7 weeks and still haven't sorted what I'm going to wear. I want a black suit. Any pattern should be black on black. I want at least two white shirts and some nice shoes.
I thought it would be nice to get tailored stuff as it means I can have nice little extras, like my fiance's name on the shirt cuff, but time is of the essence.
What does everyone recommend?
I've looked at moderntailor, but there isn't much choice in the low end fabrics. Any others? That could deliver within the time frame?
What about shoes?
All recommendations appreciated.
By the way, I'm 6ft and slim.

Thanks
 

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2008
Messages
8,664
Reaction score
20,929
Originally Posted by benjyf
I'm getting married in just over 7 weeks and still haven't sorted what I'm going to wear. I want a black suit. Any pattern should be black on black. I want at least two white shirts and some nice shoes.
I thought it would be nice to get tailored stuff as it means I can have nice little extras, like my fiance's name on the shirt cuff, but time is of the essence.
What does everyone recommend?
I've looked at moderntailor, but there isn't much choice in the low end fabrics. Any others? That could deliver within the time frame?
What about shoes?
All recommendations appreciated.
By the way, I'm 6ft and slim.

Thanks


First off unless it's an evening wedding avoid black - a charcoal grey will look much better.

Shoes - look at Loake 1880 maybe the Aldwych http://www.pediwear.co.uk/loake/ranges/55.php?offset=0

That's £150 out of your budget which I think rules out Made to Measure - with a £350 budget for suit and shirts, try TM Lewin's sale or maybe M&S. I think you've left it too late to go MTM anyway (or would be cutting it very fine).
 

benjyf

New Member
Joined
Jun 17, 2010
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Thanks for that.
It is an evening wedding.
To be honest, I don't think I'm going to change my mind on what I want, it's just a question of where best to buy from.
I'm more bothered about the shirts and suit than the shoes, so would rather spend money on those.
Is there no online MTM tailor that people recommend that can make a shirt/suit in 6 weeks?
 

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2008
Messages
8,664
Reaction score
20,929
Most of the cheap online MTM's have the work done in Asia - so you've got to factor in shipping time. 8 weeks is generally more realistic. If you're in a part of the country that has local alterations tailors you're probably best off buying something off the rack and getting them to adjust it.
 

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Joined
May 28, 2010
Messages
1,873
Reaction score
99
Originally Posted by ManofKent
Most of the cheap online MTM's have the work done in Asia - so you've got to factor in shipping time. 8 weeks is generally more realistic. If you're in a part of the country that has local alterations tailors you're probably best off buying something off the rack and getting them to adjust it.
+1...and don't listen to all the anti black sentiment on this forum. They're all racists.

 

viator

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 27, 2009
Messages
708
Reaction score
14
Originally Posted by benjyf
I thought it would be nice to get tailored stuff as it means I can have nice little extras, like my fiance's name on the shirt cuff, but time is of the essence.

I've never heard of this before. Is this a common thing to do for a wedding?
 

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2008
Messages
8,664
Reaction score
20,929
Originally Posted by benjyf
I'm in London.
Any recommendations?


I've not used any tailors in London, others might advize.

If you're determined to go MTM it might be worth running down to Mangas and seeing how long they'd take (the suits are made up in Spain).
 

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 30, 2007
Messages
1,503
Reaction score
15
At that time and budget, you may just have to go for lewin or M&S and alterations. That is actually no too shabby either.
 

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 2, 2006
Messages
5,059
Reaction score
135
Originally Posted by Cant kill da Rooster
+1...and don't listen to all the anti black sentiment on this forum. They're all racists.

Because we all know that 'Juicy Man' are the pinnacle of sartorial achievement...
(And that's not even mentioning that the image shoes a black pin-stripe jacket, which looks like an orphaned suit jacket, paired with mismatched-but-similar-colour trousers) If it's an evening wedding and you really want to wear black, get a dinner suit.
 

ysc

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2008
Messages
2,301
Reaction score
8
In my experience Lewin suits are better than M&S onces. I had an M&S dj from years ago which was fine, but it was years ago, everything I have seen for the last few years has been crap. The lewin suits look pretty good, and the lewin dj I have now (a replacement for the M&S) is considerably better. Also they do at least some free alterations and have generally very good customer service. http://www.tmlewin.co.uk/product.asp...earSuits!20179 - I would be tempted by something like this, a colour that is sensible enough for business use, but dosn't scream business, and traditionally the groom often wore quite a bit of light grey.
 

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2010
Messages
2,903
Reaction score
371
Lewin only sells one Black suit, the Caxton. Unless you go to the Jermyn Street store it'll have to be ordered in as well.
 

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Joined
May 28, 2010
Messages
1,873
Reaction score
99
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
Because we all know that 'Juicy Man' are the pinnacle of sartorial achievement...


(And that's not even mentioning that the image shoes a black pin-stripe jacket, which looks like an orphaned suit jacket, paired with mismatched-but-similar-colour trousers)

If it's an evening wedding and you really want to wear black, get a dinner suit.

My intent wasn't to say that he was the pinnacle of sartorial achievement but more a you can get away with it. Anyway, yes I realized it was orphaned as well, that was part of the point!!
 

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2008
Messages
8,664
Reaction score
20,929
Originally Posted by youngscientist
In my experience Lewin suits are better than M&S onces. I had an M&S dj from years ago which was fine, but it was years ago, everything I have seen for the last few years has been crap.

The M&S Sartorial line is still pretty good (not as good as it used to be). TM Lewin are very good for the money though (well at the constant sale prices).
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Most Interesting Fashion Collaboration of 2020

  • JW Anderson x Uniqlo

  • Nigo x Virgil Abloh

  • Converse x Midnight Studios

  • Rick Owens x Champion

  • Barbour x Engineered Garments

  • Adidas x Bed JW Ford

  • Jordan Brand x Dior

  • Billie Eilish x Takashi Murakami

  • Lego x Levi's


Results are only viewable after voting.

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
447,024
Messages
9,669,355
Members
202,028
Latest member
arqtelnally
Top